Help!!! Locals!!

arzoman

Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
Oakland, Ca
I would sincerely appreciate any help on this issue.

I have Comcast cable here in the Bay Area (San Francisco). They've got all the locals EXCEPT the Fox affiliate KTVU. I have an HD-ready TV. Because the Comcast box will not work with an HD antenna, I went and purchased today a Samsung HDTV set top box. http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/468399704

I also purchased a TERK TV5 Amplified Low-Profile Antenna.
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDisplay.mpt?ProductID=15071&FEID=270&PMNID=523

Anyhow, I set everything up, and I got very bad reception. In fact, I got pretty much no reception. The only thing that came in was KNTV (NBC) and that was in and out. I got nothing else. When I looked at the actual reception meter on the receiver, I had, for KNTV, 7 bars out of, I think, 10. The weird thing is, it would be at 7 bars, then go to 0, then 7, then 0. I could not get anything steady.

I live in a high rise apartment building. I have pretty good clearance on my balcony, but that did not seem to make a difference. As for the actual Fox reception, I got, at a few different points, 5 to 8 bars, and actually got picture for a few seconds.

So, basically it appears that my antenna is not strong enough. Is that the case? Is there a stronger antenna than the one I used? I also used the Terk HDTVi antenna. That was $10 cheaper, and did not work any better, and in fact, worse.

I don't have access to the roof, so that's out. My only option is either a really strong indoor antenna, or something relatively small I can mount on my patio. Keep in mind my patio is VERY VERY small. Only about two and a half feet wide. But pretty long.

By the way, I have only a north east clearance. So satellite is not an option.

Thanks!!!!

Arzoman, welcome to the forums.

If you haven't already, go to www.antennaweb.org and determin where the transmiters are from your location. All you have to do is enter your street addres and it draws a map with arrows pointing to the transmitters. Use that info to point your antenna.

Let us know how it turns out.

The problem is his tower is on the opposite side of his apartment. He can not get a clear path to it from his deck. Wrong side of the building.
He has been having multipath problems as well. The Silver Sensor may do the trick..Try Sears for purchasing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)