Help! MDU Hell

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ragskne

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I was hoping to get some advice. I have been a Direct TV subscriber since May 2008. I recently moved from a single family home to a Condo. The Condo is wired with an MDU. Here is my problem:

I took my equipment to the new place and I'm having difficulty. I have three receivers, HD DVR, DVR and simple one feed receiver. The condo is wired with only one RG-6 cable at each of the bedrooms. In addition, the HD signal goes in and out (the error message states "searching for Satellite 722). I have been in contact with Direct Tv to have a technician come to my place and tell me what the problem is.

However, Direct TV keeps telling me that when they put in my new address, the building is under contract and being serviced by a provider. When I contact that servicer provided by Direct TV, they tell me they have no contract with our building. I have spoken to the HOA President and he states that the building is not under contract with any service provider. I have made Direct TV aware of this discrepancy but they refuse to send out a technician (in accordance with the mover promotion)

I have spoken to a number of supervisors and I am at wit's end. I have spent almost two weeks on this issue. At last turn, the Customer Service supervisor authorized me to contact a satellite installer and send the bill to them. My question is 1) Should I trust that they will compensate me for the bill? 2) Is this issue with the one wire feed easily remedied?

Don't trust the Customer Service person!!!!

I would have the person that Directv says is the contact person to call them and talk to Directv.

If it is an MDU, then it would be a waste of time having a regular DirecTV tech come out on a service call because they won't know anything about the system. You would need an MDU tech. And your building has to have a relationship with someone re the MDU (even if it is on a per-call basis) , because someone has to manage the system, add new customers and so on.
If it is an older MDU system, it probably won't support HD anyway; also it will use stacking, and you will need a destacker for some of your equipment. If it's an MDU system that has been installed in the last six months, and therefore uses SWM technology, it will support HD but someone will need to configure the SWMs and splitters so you can connect enough tuners (and of course the system might not support your equipment, only certain DirecTV receivers/DVRs will work with the SWM.)
I would not go ahead and use an outside technician if I were you, without something in writing that the bill is going to be paid. This is a completely open-ended situation; the tech could find that there are big problems with the system. You need to go to the building management, not the HOA, and find out who is responsible for the system.

Unfortunately, it's a small building (8) total units. The HOA manages the building. I've tracked down the company who did the install and they refuse to send anyone, stating that "they no longer have technicians that cover the area where the building is." Direct TV has a servicer on file for the building that is 3000 miles away. When I spoke to them, they had no idea how Direct TV has their information associated with the building.

It's a very frustrating situation. So much so that I'm contemplating severing my relationship with Direct TV and going back to CABLE, which I haven't had in twelve years.

The funny thing with the HD channels is that I get all of them some of the time, and some of them all of the time. (i.e. USA HD some of the time TNT HD all of the time.) I thought all the HD channels were on the same satellite

You could also knock on a few doors (or slide a nice letter under 8 doors) explaining your situation & asking if they have come across this problem.

If you can get access to the equipment area and see what is there, it might help diagnose the problem. You might need to have the HOA sign up with a MDU provider unless someone in the condo has the technical know-how to maintain the system (including upgrading to the newer MFH-2 system or multiple SWMs, if necessary).

Get a letter from the companies that direct has on file for beinr under contract stating that they wont service that building and from the the head of the association stating that they have not been able to get the contracted provider to service said system. Make copies and send them into directv's resolution department and keep copies for yourself, you can also send these along with a letter of complaint to the BBB and the states atorney general and the local television stations and news papers and to the HOA's lawyer and be sure to tell directv that your doing this.

Post your town, state and zip. There may be someone on who can do your work.

If you are getting some signal that is a start.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have access to the roof (via rooftop deck) and the basement area where it appears that the cables have been split. I believe the dish is a slimline 5. My hometown is Pittsburgh PA 15219

If the HOA manages the building, you need to start by officially (in writing) asking the HOA to resolve the issue. Common services provided in the building are the management's responsibility, unless there is something in the legal documents that says they are not. They have to either contract for maintenance, or have someone that will come out on a call basis to fix these issues. This is no different from the building management's responsibility for any common services like the sewers, or fixing the roof. Then, as jtwex suggests, check with your neighbors to see if they are using DirecTV and how did they get their systems installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts