Help me understand something about internet upload speeds

The FCC says they MUST allow you to own your own. That said, it has to be on their list of approved modems. TWC here in Austin GIVES OUT Motorola SBG6580's, but it wasn't on the list till recently (after I filed a bunch of FCC complaints).

...and 99 out of 100 customers don't know this so it's a non-issue in the real world.

Interesting - I just checked Best Buy's website and the first 3-4 cable modems they list are in fact available at one of their nearby stores (only checked the one store).

I have to use their modem because I have their phone service(VOIP) also. I bought a cable modem but have never used it.

I have to use their modem because I have their phone service(VOIP) also. I bought a cable modem but have never used it.

Suddenlink is like that with their VOIP phone service. They give you a new interface box for your cable, phone, and the internet is out of that box too.

I'm looking at the Motorolla SB6121 modem. How does a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem improve the current service I have now over the SB5101 I have now?

Neutron said:
Suddenlink is like that with their VOIP phone service. They give you a new interface box for your cable, phone, and the internet is out of that box too.

I'm looking at the Motorolla SB6121 modem. How does a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem improve the current service I have now over the SB5101 I have now?

Because DOCSIS 3.0 enables faster speeds.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Because DOCSIS 3.0 enables faster speeds.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Exactly. When I changed modems by speeds increased - even before I upped my plan to the 50mb tier. Cheap investment, good return. And I'd rather buy something disposable like this then lease it month by month.

What brand model # are you using?

I recently got notice that Comcast will discount my service now if I supply my own modem. Before it was included so I just used their modem which is an RCA DCM425. Need to check into it.

Thanks. Based on reviews and specs I plan to order the 6121 today. Should be an 8 month ROI plus, the specs indicate, and your comments, that I may get improved upload which is what I really wanted.

Hi, I use VOIP service, one more thing, there is a free gadget for checking internet speed available at Scanmyspeed.com downloaded it, helps a lot to check speed without entering a site.

Last edited:
The SB6121 arrived and tried to get it going today but Comcast is having trouble getting my account modified to add it. The service tech can't add the new one as the old one seems stuck to my account. They have to escalate a trouble ticket to a smarter technician. LOL! Why me?

The SB6121 arrived and tried to get it going today but Comcast is having trouble getting my account modified to add it. The service tech can't add the new one as the old one seems stuck to my account. They have to escalate a trouble ticket to a smarter technician. :rolleyes: LOL! Why me?

The SB6121 arrived and tried to get it going today but Comcast is having trouble getting my account modified to add it. The service tech can't add the new one as the old one seems stuck to my account. They have to escalate a trouble ticket to a smarter technician. :rolleyes: LOL! Why me?

Murphy's law, and the same stuff I run into :)

(I like my cable internet, but their Tech Support SU:mad:tm).)

Because you did not order vanilla! ;)

Got tired of waiting on the tech so I decided to do a bit of my own detective work on this activation trouble. I discovered that somewhere along the way, Comcast has two accounts for me. There is a different account number but everything else is identical. The old number I had was no longer active to my node and therefore when Comcast tried to activate the new modem it wouldn't take! So, what I did was get on line with my ipad3 that has Verizon LTE ( because I had the old modem that worked disconnected ) and I accessed my account with my user ID and not the account number. Once I was in, I proceeded to upgrade the modem on the account web page while noting the new account number. It took about 15 minutes and never hiccuped along the way. It's been running all afternoon with no problems. Now I need to call the AE and advise them why they were having trouble and see if they can shut down the extra account number. Plus I need to know what to do with the Comcast owned Modem, where to turn it in for credit. Plus, I checked my last bill and I'm receiving a bill for the old account number as it appears on my statement but online access has the new number. I think some tech was high when they last messed with my account.

Had some time this morning to do some speedtests and my new DOCSYS 3.0 modem is definitely going to be worth the money. I was actually surprised at the new test results. Using this same computer and the old RCA DOCSYS 2.0 the average speedtests I would get is a sustained 30 Mbs download and 5 Mbs upload. I used two tests with two server locations. Washington DC and Atlanta, GA and speedtest.net and speakeasy.net/speedtest

The speeds were pretty consistent.

The new DOCSYS III on speedtest.net gave me a burst of 100Mbs for about 5 seconds and then fell off to 28 Mbs for most of the test. The upload was the biggest surprise and was 28 Mbs upload sustained. This improvement was better than I expected.

similar for speakeasy but the test ran shorter, thus the likely reason for the higher result. More important to me are the sustained rates for downloads and uploads as I regularly transfer very large files.

Speedtest w SB6121.jpg

Been running uploads to my server all day. It's pretty consistent at 400-600 KB/s with a start pop at 1.6 MB/s for about 5-10 seconds ( That's bytes not bits )

Anyway 6 GB file folder is taking about 5 hours and is almost done. This will be a 37 minute 3D documentary in Full HD 3D. When this is done I hope to test out an upload to YT to see if that server receives faster. Before I started this I did another test on speakeasy/speedtest and got the same readings as I posted earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts