Help needed decoding FCC information

CDH

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 28, 2004
Greenville, SC
Hi,

I live in Greenville, SC and receive most of my locals through an attic rotor-mounted OTA antenna (I think it is some flavor of Channelmaster). This is amplified and then sent down to a Dish 942 receiver.

Most locals come in consistently, but I'm having difficulty with ABC channel WLOS 13.1 (actually broadcast on channel 56) out of Asheville, NC about 46 miles away and in the mountains. Actually I get the station most of the time, but the signal level varies between about 60 or below and 67 (the strongest I can get using the rotor), meaning I get annoying dropouts when I record a program to DVR. I don't remember having these difficulties when I was a Voom subscriber, so perhaps my difficulties stem at least partially from an inferior ATSC tuner in the Dish box. For now I am simply recording ABC programming in SD off the Dish, but I would rather have the picture quality of OTA.

I looked on the FCC website to try to find out whether the station is at full power and found lots of information at the following URL:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=56537

However, I'm not exactly sure what it means. I think it may mean that although they have a construction permit for a 1000 kW broadcast for digital signal, perhaps they are only currently broadcasting a relatively low-power signal. Is this correct or am I misreading the information?

If the power is low (and perhaps not likely to increase in the near future), is it possible to add a second amplifier in series to boost the signal?

Thanks in advance,
CDH.

Last edited:
You could try contacting the station (WLOS13.com has thier contact information). You could also try contacting the owner (Sinclair Broadcast Group) at 410-568-1500. Thier VP of engineering is Del Parks. I'm sure his office could tell you about WLOS or any other Sinclair station. Del is very busy, but his secratary is very nice.