help needed in setting up vip211k rcvr

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I recently purchased a vip211k from a forum member for my elderly parents mobile home. I have the dish aligned as I get 4 green bars from the acquiring signal screen. I want to go thru the setup so I can fine tune the alignment and do the check switch test. my problem is that I now get a screen RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED 129
CHECK THAT YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS WHICH CAME WITH YOUR REPLACEMENT RECEIVER
IF THIS STEP HAS NOT RESOLVED YOUR PROBLEM CALL DISH OR GO TO DISH.COM/CHAT
questions; what step is being referenced and how do I get to a menu screen so I can do the setup?
does the 129 in the upper r/h corner of the message indicate sat 129 lock?
do I have to subscribe to service in order to activate the receiver?
we only want locals and distant networks, which they qualify for.

You most definataely need to be a package subscriber for receiver activation, along with the proper dish. Not certain, but I believe you need the Welcome Pack. Suggest you PM a DIRT member .

thanks for your reply. purchasing a subscription ahead of allowing the setup menu seems like putting the cart ahead of the horse. I want to ensure the system is fully operational before subscribing. is there another way to accomplish this??

:confused: Can't you press the menu button, and 6-1-1, to get to the point dish screen? That's what I do on my older unsubscribed receivers...

pressing the MENU button does not get rid of the RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED SCREEN

DIRT HELP RECOMMENDED

I retitled the post to request DIRT help as you suggested. I also emailed dish network tech support earlier this afternoon. hopefully I`ll get some help with this problem.

I retitled the post to request DIRT help as you suggested. I also emailed dish network tech support earlier this afternoon. hopefully I`ll get some help with this problem.

Have you tried to reboot the receiver? This isn't normal, you can normally access any menus. When a customer gets the 129 screen, it usually means the receiver is brand new, and has never been activated. Otherwise, what you would normally get is either an 005 or 013 (or even a 327) error when you try to go to a channel, after acquiring a signal.

Did the receiver go straight to the 129 screen when you hooked it up? Usually, any error screen like that can be bypassed by pressing the MENU key, and as others have said, going to MENU-6-1-1 to test signal there.

thanks for your reply. I`m not sure how to reboot the receiver. I unplugged it for an hour, got the acquiring signal screen followed by some green bars, then the 129 screen.

thanks, brian; I tried star # star and it doesn`t reboot. I waisted an hour on the dish chat site trying to get my rcvr activated. they want me to select programming, pay 1 month then they will activate. I won`t do this until I have the system setup complete. passed the check switch test, and the dish alignment optimized. am I being unreasonable???

thanks, brian; I tried star # star and it doesn`t reboot. I waisted an hour on the dish chat site trying to get my rcvr activated. they want me to select programming, pay 1 month then they will activate. I won`t do this until I have the system setup complete. passed the check switch test, and the dish alignment optimized. am I being unreasonable???
Once you have an active account you can get defective equipment replaced. I believe they can also do more diagnoses when the receiver is active. Local channels means you must buy the $19.99 Welcome pak that is the minimum that the locals are available in.

Last edited:
boba;
do you think I have a defective receiver?? is it fair for me to pay for programming in advance just so I can finish installing my receiver??? I`m glad tp pay once my equipment is ready to receive broadcasts.

boba;
do you think I have a defective receiver?? is it fair for me to pay for programming in advance just so I can finish installing my receiver??? I`m glad tp pay once my equipment is ready to receive broadcasts.

It sounds like a defective receiver, perhaps.

Was it sold to you purporting to be a new receiver, or a used receiver? A new receiver should go into something known as the Install Wizard. A used receiver should go to the channel and get a 005/013/371 message. Something sounds odd.

You mention rebooting, that is what happens when you unplug them plug back in. You said you got the aqcuiring signal screen (535), well, THAT screen can be interrupted by pressing MENU. That should take you to the main menu, then go 6 (system setup)-1 (installation)-1 (point dish) to get to the page that shows the signal strengths, you can change the satellite shown to see what signal is on each sat. Once you have signal, go to Check Switch, then Test, and it will run the check switch test, then save it to the Install Summary screen, and should show that you have OK on each sat, and you'll see something show up under the Device line.

Once you exit out of that, a new receiver would try to download software, or if that's done, go to the authorization page. A used receiver should go to 005/013/371 and prompt you to call Dish to add the channel (or package)

somedishguy;
thanks for your detailed reply.
I have completed the setup and check switch tests. I`ll have to make a slight adjustment on my dish as I`m getting locks on only 119 and 129.
how do I save this to the INSTALL SUMMARY SCREEN??
I havel554 software. is that the latest version?

somedishguy;
thanks for your detailed reply.
I have completed the setup and check switch tests. I`ll have to make a slight adjustment on my dish as I`m getting locks on only 119 and 129.
how do I save this to the INSTALL SUMMARY SCREEN??
I havel554 software. is that the latest version?

If you are locking 119 and 129 your dish could be turned 9 degrees off (i.e. the LNB that is supposed to be pointing at 129 is pointing to 138 and not seeing anything, 110 LNB is pointing to 119 and the 119 at 129).

mike;
I have indicated locks on 119 ss 39 and 129 ss59. would I be getting that strong of a signal if I were pointing to 138 tr20??
can you tell me if l554 is the latest software??
thanks

mike;
I have indicated locks on 119 ss 39 and 129 ss59. would I be getting that strong of a signal if I were pointing to 138 tr20??
can you tell me if l554 is the latest software??
thanks

Given those readings I would say that your 119 LNB is pointing at 129, your dish is centered on 129 and you get the best strength. There is not a Dish satellite at 138, so if your Dish was off in its pointing you would only receive 2 satellites. Of course I cannot see your installation, there could simply be a big tree in the way of 110. If you have a clear view I would try turning the dish to the left (if standing behind it) 9 degrees. Before moving mark with a sharpie so you have a point of reference.

mike;
that is what I`m planning to do as soon as the weather clears up and I can get on the roof.
thanks for your help. can you confirm if l554 is the correct software??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)