Help on picking out antenna.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ShadowInc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm looking for advice on what antenna to buy. This has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to figure out what antenna will be best for me to use for HD OTA. I need to pick up stations from two different locations, and I will be restricted to mounting the antenna in my attic from a one story home. Here are my results from antennaweb:

*yellow - uhf WNSC-DT 30.1 PBS ROCK HILL SC 167° 7.615
*red - uhf WBTV-DT 3.1 CBS CHARLOTTE NC 353° 29.923
*red - uhf WCNC-DT 36.1 NBC CHARLOTTENC 354° 28.522
*red - uhf WCCB-DT 18.1 FOX CHARLOTTENC 46° 29.027
*blue - uhf WMYT-DT 55.1 MNT ROCK HILSC 356° 29.439
*blue - uhf WJZY-DT 46.1 CW BELMONTNC 356° 29.447
*violet - uhf WSPA-DT 7.1 CBS SPARTANBURGSC 289° 71.253
*violet - uhf WSOC-DT 9.1 ABC CHARLOTTENC 47° 29.034

I'm guessing I need an antenna that can pick up the 353-356 and the 45-47 degrees ranges from the attic at around a 30 mile range. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Since they are all UHF, since they are spread out and since you are close in consider the Channel Master CM 4221. The 4228 is more commonly recommended here but it has a a narrower beam width. I think that the 4221 might be better for you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Does the CM 4221 have that wide of a range? Thats about 50 degrees that I need to spread.

At 30 miles you'd be a lot better off with the antenna on the roof instead of in the attic. I'm 11 miles from Roxborough antenna farm in Philly and get dropouts on rainy days even with the antenna on the roof. In the attic is going to cost you half your signal.

Most citations I can find indicate that the 4221 has a beam width of 45 degres and that the 4228 has one of 15 degrees. I am hoping thatt he PBS is so close that it will come in regardless.

i too would agree that you are better off putting it outside if you can.

Well I get a usable signal from CBS and NBC with a silver sensor indoor antenna. I was thinking with a good one in the attic I would be okay. I think I can actually see the CBS/NBC antennas from my attic on a clear day. I may be mistaken (they could be radio towers in the same direction I suppose..) If I point the silver sensor towards 46 degrees I can pick up FOX/ABC on a good day. Anyhow, I may try the CM. Thanks guys!

Out of curiosity what is sytopping you form moutuing it outside?

You also might want to consider an omnidirectional antenna which is not displeasing to the eye. I agree, your neighbors have little say-so as stipulated with the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996. There aren't many caviats for neighbors or homeowners associations unless they provide you with the common antenna feed. You will find your reception will improve substantially with an outside antenna. The 4-bay bowtie antenna (Channelmaster or Winegard) work very well, though they are directional. I have a Winegard 4 bay bowtie and it provides exceptional reception at 25 miles. It even picks up VHF, though it is a UHF antenna.

there too it might be better to go along to get along.

But who's the boss? I just put the thing up. She didn't have a say in the matter. Nor has she complained about the outdoor antenna. The bowtie isn't displeasing to the eye. If she had complained, I would have suggested she get up on the ladder and remove it! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts