Help please. Multiswitch & DVR install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mm4

Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Not really sure what to do. I have had a DirecTv SD DVR40-R for about 6 months and yesterday finally got a Passive Multi-Switch from Radio Shack.

What to do now? It has "2" Sat ins, a TV/ANT in and 4 outputs for recievers.

The reciever in the bedroom is the DVR, the one in the living room is regular.

We have a "round" dual LNB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need the 2 lines from the sat to the multi-switch and then 2 lines to the DVR in the bedroom & 1 line to the regular receiver in the living room. If you have an over the air ANTENA you can plug the cable from that in there.

Thanks for the help. So I have 2 cables from Sat 1 and Sat 2 into the DVR and run Sat 3 into the living room. Guess I need to head out and buy some coax.

Just to clarify, as you mention Sat 1 and Sat 2 INTO the DVR, this would be wrong (unless the switch is labeled that way (instead of, for example, 'Tuner (1-4)'), if so, then you got the idea), you would need both lines from the dish, into the Sat 1 and Sat 2 (the ones on the same side as the TV/ANT), then from the four side of the switch, you use one of the four ports for each run for each tuner.

Let us know.

Good luck, welcome to satguys.

Last edited:
THX for the help. Does the TV antenna have to run into the MS or can it just go into the tv itself? Also, will I need a another add on that goes between the reciver and the cable. I think it was something "plexer"

THX for the help. Does the TV antenna have to run into the MS or can it just go into the tv itself? Also, will I need a another add on that goes between the reciver and the cable. I think it was something "plexer"

Diplexer.

Yes, in fact, it is better to run it direct to the TV, instead of through the MS, one should always avoid diplexing when one can.

my tivos are sked to be installed saturday and the work order does have a multi-switch on it. lets see what happens.....if the installer tries to talk me out of putting both units in the bedroom. cause, i'm curious if that person would be willing to run the lines under the ceiling tiles. if not, i may send the installer home!!

my tivos are sked to be installed saturday and the work order does have a multi-switch on it. lets see what happens.....if the installer tries to talk me out of putting both units in the bedroom. cause, i'm curious if that person would be willing to run the lines under the ceiling tiles. if not, i may send the installer home!!

You want both receivers in the same room?...If so, please be advised the tech may have to run up to 4 cables to that room!...
If you have a drop ceiling in that room it'll be a piece of cake..It is inadvisable to run coax cables under carpet..Two reasons..Once you lift the carpet off the tack strip, it is very difficult to replace the carpet without a strecther..At this point the carpet will almost invariably develop a "roll"...The other reason is running coax under carpet in a traffic area will alomst ceratinly lead to cable damage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts