Help Please with ID for small mesh dish and feedhorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GenBap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Southeast Missouri
I saw this small dish today and was surprised at how small it seemed to be. Talked to the lady of the house who took my information and indicated her husband may call, but I need to know if this will really work for me to receive basic c-band programming. By basic I mean channels like Me. This dish had a motor but she said it was bad. Thanks for your help yet once again.

Attachments

• small_mesh.jpg
    small_mesh.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 270
  • small_mesh_2.jpg
    small_mesh_2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 251
  • small_mesh_1.jpg
    small_mesh_1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 238
Take it if she's giving it away! I think it's a 6'er. It would work on most c-band signals, but you might have some issues with the 2degree spacing on some sats. I have a 7.5' dish, well two actually, and they seem to do just fine on c-band digital, but I haven't tried them on ALL the c-band sats in the arc. They work great on 87, 91,95 though.
If it is for SALE, though, I don't know if I would offer a lot for a 6' dish , but it would be a start! You can park it on 87 and give it a whirl.

She indicated that they also had the original receiver for the system but that it was analog. Will the lnb that is on the dish work with a digital system or does it need to be replaced?

looks like a 5 footer to me. I had one just like that

Will work fine on 87W for Me, This and NASA

Could the LNB be a Chaparrall 20 degree? It looks like it could be from other pics on the internet. If so it is digital ready. Iceberg did you ever try to put a motor on your 5 foot? Have others had the type of problems turbosat mentioned.

Its probably something like a 20-25K degree LNB....they still work good

Iceberg did you ever try to put a motor on your 5 foot?
Nah I didnt motorize mine. I actually had it in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete

Have others had the type of problems turbosat mentioned.
in regards to the 2 degree spacing? I've got 2 6 foot dishes and I use them to update thelist. There are some sats where I get "bleedover" but it can be actually a good thing if the dish is fixed ;)
The big one I have is 97W is a bugger. I usually get bleedover from 95W (the horse race feeds) or 99 (World Harvest or the GDMX feeds). I dont mind the bleedover when I'm at 137W and 139W comes in fine... ;)

Nah I didnt motorize mine. I actually had it in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete

Had, as in past tense? What ever happened to it? What I like about a 5 footer is that when it is disassembled you can store it in a broom closet. Cute little buggers.

I am going to take it from toucan-man that it would be best to pass on this little 5 footer. Probably better off getting one of linuxman's 7.5 footers I suppose.

Free toys are always good.
And spare parts are, too.
(maybe the pole?)

But if you don't have time to play with toys, then 7½' is a much more serious dish.
Once you get comfortable with that, we'll find you another to keep it company.
And later down the road, maybe a 10'er to match! :up

I am going to take it from toucan-man that it would be best to pass on this little 5 footer. Probably better off getting one of linuxman's 7.5 footers I suppose.
I like my 5' Unimesh, but it can't do everything a 10' dish will do. Having one in your arsenal won't cost you much real estate for storage is what I meant. I actually paid for my 5 footer, because they are scarce around here and I had a use for it. If you can get one for free, best to get it now, you won't find many others in the future is my guess.

I have a 5ft solid on AMC 18 for my HITS subscription. Works good for that. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I live in a small town where a dish will not violate anything, but my backyard is somewhat small so not a lot of real estate. I have been making a list of channels on Titan that are available on c-band. Very impressive to say the least. I do want to put the c-band on a motor and the 2 degree spacing has me, with my limited experience, concerned. I suppose my next step should be to look at my Titan wish list and go through the footprints to see what size dish I need and what I will miss out on with the smaller dish.

I got a similar dish that I'm setting up at my cabin. Mines a 6 footer though. I paid $100 for it as it was in mint condition, no rust, a custom 7 foot heavy duty tripod pole and a working actutor and the guy even let me dig all the cable out of his yard (100 ft). I've had it hooked up ghetto style in my flower bed at home here and it worked great. I was going to buy a new one from WS International and it was going to cost me twice as much, so I say if the price is right and it works for you go for it!

peace of mind

I do want to put the c-band on a motor and the 2 degree spacing has me, with my limited experience, concerned.
I suppose my next step should be to look at my Titan wish list and go through the footprints to see what size dish I need and what I will miss out on with the smaller dish.
I'm sure Fred has a nice 10' dish available, too. Did you ask? - :popcorn

Linuxman has 2, 7.5 foot and 2, 10 foot dishes up there in St. Louis. I really need to get up there and check it all out!

They offered me this small dish for $100. It is actually a 67 inch dish so I am not sure if that makes it a 5' a 6' or neither. It has a Chaparrel feedhorn and a mini-mag lnb. It also comes with an analog receiver. It has a 24" actuator that is bad. I really like the size of this dish and it is very convenient to my location. I am hoping to pick up Me, This, Ion Networks, etc. so I will need eventually need a working actuator. Will this dish do S2 reliably I guess is the big question for RTV etc.?

Schlever got a pretty good deal for his $100.
I'm not so sure this even comes close.
- You're going to want bigger pretty soon.
- You'll have to get a working motor
- Personally, I wouldn't put any value on the Chaparral + LNB. (you want mine?) - ;)
- Lot of guys will give you an analog receiver for the shipping (or free for local pickup) etc.
I know it's an attractive size, but I don't think you're gonna get your signal on it.

They offered me this small dish for $100.
It is actually a 67 inch dish so I am not sure if that makes it a 5' a 6' or neither.
It has a Chaparrel feedhorn and a mini-mag lnb.
It also comes with an analog receiver.
It has a 24" actuator that is bad.
I really like the size of this dish and it is very convenient to my location.
I am hoping to pick up Me, This, Ion Networks, etc. so I will need eventually need a working actuator.
Will this dish do S2 reliably I guess is the big question for RTV etc.?

thanks Anole. Looks like I might be heading to Fred's tomorrow afternoon. Pretty excited about getting to meet him and pick his brain and then coming home with some new stuff and getting into c-band. Taking a trailer with me and my son in law.

Wow, no kidding? Well I hope he's expecting ya.

Take some pictures of his parking lot, roof, and warehouse when you have a moment.
He's only provided us with limited views, and I gotta wonder: what's he hiding? ;)
Even one of the post office would be nice (that'll make sense when you get there)

Well, at least with a trailer and a helper, you can get the best stuff he has!
Maybe a 10'er and an AJAK H-H motor? Ortho feed?
I'll congratulate you already, for having the good sense to shop there! - :up

PS:
Oh, and shag the little 6' toy fiberglass dish, while you are there!
Tell him you want the lizard-discount on that one.
It's got a million and one uses.
I think I'd run it fixed, maybe for a 4Dtv or 410 receiver subscription.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)