HELP, PLEASE

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Instructions?

We don't need any stinkin' instructions!

LOL... Do you know what movie this comes from?....

Well, it was paraphrased in Back to the Future...

Doc: "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"

FTA equipment instruction manuals are basically useless anyway (poorly written and translated)... That's why we're here! ;)

I've been paraphrasing that quote for years, but have long since forgotten where it came from. Might be from Butch Cassidy (&S.D.K.) before they blew up the safe???

The no stinkin baadges quote is from the 1948 Humphrey Bogart Movie "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

[ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/"]The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjU3OTgwNzY2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkzMzAwMQ@@._V1._SX100_SY135_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMjU3OTgwNzY2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkzMzAwMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX100@@AMEPARAM@@SY135[/ame]

Newbie,

I do think that you are getting in too deep right off the bat. Attempting to acquire C-Band signals on a small, offset dish isn't a very good place to begin. It is difficult enough to acquire the Ku band stuff and especially with a Sonic View receiver.

If you are trying this with a motorized dish, you are almost certain to fail as it just requires too much research, investigation, time and extreme patience and a willingness to accept failures without admitting defeat. It is not an easy task to take on.

I would recommend becoming extremely proficient at dialing in Ku band signals first, on a fixed point dish. Then move to a motorized system and then return to a fixed dish to dabble with the C-Band signals from a single satellite. It can be done, but I wouldn't expect too much.

RADAR

This is the point I was trying to make but I think you did it better than I.
In addition to the above points, I would also like to point out that the Mini Bud projects are generally more of a "just to see if I can" project, not a permanent TV watching solution. Even if you are capable of signal reception (and no doubt you will find something), the signal will likely not be strong enough to give you reliable TV and there will most certainly be channels that you want and can not get. I even found a 6' dish to be on the small side for some stuff.

Bottom line, unless you have the patience of a saint, getting frustrated and discouraged is likely. We would hate for you to start hating the satellite hobby because of this. I would strongly recommend a Ku LNB for that dish to get you started, as already stated. This will get you used to finding and tweaking on various signals. Once you have your dish peaked on the arc for Ku, then you should start with C-Band. :)

I have close to 20 years of C-Band experience and I don't have the time or patience to tackle a mini bud. Just my $0.02

RAdar, I always thought that phrase was first used in Blazing Saddles , but I see Mel Brooks just stole it, lol. I have the Bogart movie on dvd, must not've been listening that close when I watched it.

Greetings all, its 2 a.m. and I'm on the site, haven't been on for a couple of days, and haven't had much opportunity to work on my dish, its been raining for 3 days. I did decide to purchase a C/Ku LNB. I installed it today. Still no signal, I am rechecking my settings again tomorrow. :)

I am reading old threads from other newbies and its helping me to not get frustrated - it seems that I'm not the first person who decided to jump in without enough knowledge. However I am learning from the old threads. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I won't have rain this weekend and I can try to get a satellite locked. Nite all.

With your C/Ku LNB make sure you have the receiver LNB settings correct.

Also, tune the receiver to a frequency of a known good feed then move the dish around until you find signal, not the other way around. You need to be 100% sure that you are actually pointing at a satellite.

Good luck!!

RAdar, I always thought that phrase was first used in Blazing Saddles , but I see Mel Brooks just stole it, lol. I have the Bogart movie on dvd, must not've been listening that close when I watched it.

Ha Ha! That's funny as that is what I always thought, too. But, I didn't get the joke in Mel Brooks "Blazing Saddles" until I had watched the movie where it originally came from. Then I started looking at all the dialog in Mel's movies with greater interest. He used a LOT of lines and phrases from the old classics in an "out-of-context" way. This makes his movies even that much more hilarious and enjoyable!

Sorry everyone for that distraction and sidebar! Gotta interject some fun and humor along the way to keep us all sane!

Whoops, too late! :)

RADAR

Greetings all, its 2 a.m. and I'm on the site, haven't been on for a couple of days, and haven't had much opportunity to work on my dish, its been raining for 3 days. I did decide to purchase a C/Ku LNB. I installed it today. Still no signal, I am rechecking my settings again tomorrow. :)

I am reading old threads from other newbies and its helping me to not get frustrated - it seems that I'm not the first person who decided to jump in without enough knowledge. However I am learning from the old threads. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I won't have rain this weekend and I can try to get a satellite locked. Nite all.

With your C/Ku LNB make sure you have the receiver LNB settings correct.

Also, tune the receiver to a frequency of a known good feed then move the dish around until you find signal, not the other way around. You need to be 100% sure that you are actually pointing at a satellite.

Good luck!!

Yes, good advice Inno,

Look for a known, good strong signal first, not just ANY signal at random, hoping to find something.

Newbie,

Our best of luck to you and however you do it, trust that we will be here rooting you on all the way! We definitely want you to succeed and have a lot of fun! Try using the in-house SEARCH mode of this site and try looking up "Walrus" or "Walrus1957" - he has been dabbling in the mini-C-Buds and may have some information for you.

RADAR

The no stinkin baadges quote is from the 1948 Humphrey Bogart Movie "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

AHHH! Thanks. Haven't seen that one in years!
I keep saying "we don't need no stinking" this or that around the house, and my wife thinks I'm crazy. Asks me where it came from, and I couldn't remember. I just said it's from some great movie, but don't know which one.

I have to say everyone on here is great. Day after day you get newbies, me included, and you keep giving great advice. Thanks. The more I post the more I learn and the more I realize how little I know. I really stepped in it, but I'll come out feet first, thanks to all of you.

I actually managed to read the compass today, that was really a big accomplishment for me. :) I'm taking a break as it started raining, I'll be at it again in the a.m. Thanks for rooting for me.

Finally I can post that I am a "new" fta member. My ku band is up and running, got it running while n3 was down so I got to see some pretty good stuff, still figuring out my Sonicview 8000 and blind searching for channels, but I am officially an fta fan. Many thanks for all of your help, especially LAK 7.

Maybe one day I'll know enough to give some good advice to a newbie. Thanks, newbie2fta.

Finally I can post that I am a "new" fta member. My ku band is up and running, got it running while n3 was down so I got to see some pretty good stuff, still figuring out my Sonicview 8000 and blind searching for channels, but I am officially an fta fan. Many thanks for all of your help, especially LAK 7.

Maybe one day I'll know enough to give some good advice to a newbie. Thanks, newbie2fta.

Ha ha! So you got to see the inside of DN when they forgot to lock up the store?

Thanks DN for the freebies! Wish you had done so on my days off, though. I didn't get to enjoy too much of it! LOL!

RADAR

Ha ha! So you got to see the inside of DN when they forgot to lock up the store?

Thanks DN for the freebies! Wish you had done so on my days off, though. I didn't get to enjoy too much of it! LOL!

RADAR

Six spot beams are still FTA here.

EDIT: NOW they're all gone. I hadn't bothered to actually scan them in, but since they were still there after a week I figured I might as well scan them in. Next time I looked, they were gone. Guess I shouldn't have scanned them. Oh well, nothing I was likely to watch anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts