Help selecting transponder

M-2 Hydra

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Louisiana
What transponder should i use for G19 and also the best lnb mount you have ever seen! Is it good enough?

IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: spongella
I recommend transponder 12152 H 20000 as it is not duplicated on adjacent satellites and reduces the chance of a false positive.

LNB Type: The screen shot shows the tuner setting of 9750/10600. Is the LNBF a Universal type with LO 9750/10600? If not, change the LNB setting to match the LNBF type and LO. If the LNB type and LO setting does not match the installed LNBF, frequencies will not match and it will be nearly impossible to locate the satellite.

LNBF Placement: Is the replacement LNBF placed at the EXACT position, angle and distance from the reflector as the original feedhorn? The center of the LNBF throat cover must be placed in the sweet spot where the reflected satellite signals are focused. If the replacement it not in the exact position as the original, either the signals will not be focused inside the feedhorn opening or the dish aiming will need to be aimed at a different angle. This will result in poor performance or no reception.

LNBF Skew: I see that your location is in Louisiana. This means the satellite is West of your location and standing in front of the dish, the LNBF rotation will be counterclockwise. The amount of rotation is determined by your location. Use www.dishpointer.com to calculate the LNBF skew rotation and the dish aiming. The signals coming g down from the satellite I'd linear polarity.

When a satellite is directly South of your location the vertical and horizontal polarity signals would come straight down at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock and be received with no skew rotation. When satellites are located East or West of your install location, the vertical and horizontal signals arrive at a different angle and the feedhorn is rotated to align the vertical and horizontal antenna probes to match the skewed angle.

Last edited:
I recommend transponder 12152 H 20000 as it is not duplicated on adjacent satellites and reduces the chance of a false positive.

LNB Type: The screen shot shows the tuner setting of 9750/10600. Is the LNBF a Universal type with LO 9750/10600? If not, change the LNB setting to match the LNBF type and LO. If the LNB type and LO setting does not match the installed LNBF, frequencies will not match and it will be nearly impossible to locate the satellite.

LNBF Placement: Is the replacement LNBF placed at the EXACT position, angle and distance from the reflector as the original feedhorn? The center of the LNBF throat cover must be placed in the sweet spot where the reflected satellite signals are focused. If the replacement it not in the exact position as the original, either the signals will not be focused inside the feedhorn opening or the dish aiming will need to be aimed at a different angle. This will result in poor performance or no reception.

LNBF Skew: I see that your location is in Louisiana. This means the satellite is West of your location and standing in front of the dish, the LNBF rotation will be counterclockwise. The amount of rotation is determined by your location. Use www.dishpointer.com to calculate the LNBF skew rotation and the dish aiming. The signals coming g down from the satellite I'd linear polarity.

When a satellite is directly South of your location the vertical and horizontal polarity signals would come straight down at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock and be received with no skew rotation. When satellites are located East or West of your install location, the vertical and horizontal signals arrive at a different angle and the feedhorn is rotated to align the vertical and horizontal antenna probes to match the skewed angle.

Thanks will try later today

Reactions: Titanium
Plan 2
IMG_0755.JPG

Is this a better plan i have the lnb for the direct tv so i can match it up better is this a better plan?

Reactions: Titanium
Use the largest reflector. Whatever dish you decide to use, the center of the replacement feedhorn cover must be in the EXACT position (height, angle and distance from the reflector) as the center of the original LNBF feedhorn throat cover that it is replacing. This photo appears to place the replacement LNBF in an incorrect position. Looks like it is too close to the reflector?

The regular LNBF for DirecTV is not compatible as it is circular polarity and higher frequency range.

If you have a DirecTV World Direct dish with the OEM linear polarity LNBF, it is compatible.

Reactions: KE4EST
Well that is not good, but you should be able to quickly enter it manually to set up your dish. :)

Nice to meet you M-2 Hydra. I commend you on your mechanical prowess as far as LNB mounts go. Very ingenious. I prefer to purchase LNB brackets commercially as they are inexpensive. Many are of plastic though and sometimes have to be replaced.

I see a number of different dishes in your posted pics. If you haven't done so I suggest purchasing at least a 30 inch FTA dish. 36 inch even better. You'll have more success.

That sirect TV dish should at least find some stronger TPs, I know I used an 18" dish once just for run and it found the TPs but poor signals badly broken up etc. Have to be patient with a small dish sometimes it takes several seconds to lock on a tp.
Your username; M2 (Messier 2) refers to a star cluster? Bit of an amateur astronomer here.. :)
Cheers!
-C.

Regular DirecTV or Dish Network LNBF(s) will not receive FTA linear services. The LNBFs tune a different frequency range (12200-12750), use a different polarization (circular) and different LO frequencies.

The smaller Dish Network or DirecTV dishes will receive stronger transponders when retrofitted with a linear LNBF, but the poor performance will be frustrating on most satellites and services.

Reactions: c-spand and KE4EST
KE4EST I have no knowledge in the video game field, other than maybe Pacman. Then M2 isn't in Hydra, it's in Aquarius, should have been my first clue. :) Way too much eggnog here..

Reactions: KE4EST
Nice to meet you M-2 Hydra. I commend you on your mechanical prowess as far as LNB mounts go. Very ingenious. I prefer to purchase LNB brackets commercially as they are inexpensive. Many are of plastic though and sometimes have to be replaced.

I see a number of different dishes in your posted pics. If you haven't done so I suggest purchasing at least a 30 inch FTA dish. 36 inch even better. You'll have more success.
like this Winegard 30 Inch Diameter Universal Satellite Dish Antenna (DS-2076) 615798308780 | eBay
i know this my rust out in a few years but it wont be outside most the time this will be something i will pull out and play around with every now and then will it fit the geosat pro lnb i have good enough

i will try updating or downgrading if possible to fix this transponder issue
nevermind i cant figure out how to make it save ANY of the transponders any ideas? i daddled around seleting transponders on other satellites but it still won't save
note i did do the update!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)