Help setting dish elevation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redilyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hi All,

I've got a used winegard ds3101 dish (Starchoice 1m) that the elevation scale is totally wrecked from being adjusted to many times. It doesn't appear to have numbers and the lines are pretty much gone.

Can I use a Johnson angle finder to determine elevation? If so, do I attached it in the middle of the dish on the front side and set the angle to my desired elevation?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am trying to get 72w.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you have a magnetic protractor, hang it underneath the LNB's mounting arm. This will tell you the current elevation in degrees. If you don't have a magnetic use a standard protractor with a plum line.

Last edited:
<<Can I use a Johnson angle finder to determine elevation? If so, do I attached it in the middle of the dish on the front side and set the angle to my desired elevation?>>
The dish actually looks "offset" degrees above the face of dish.
I'd put it on the back side of the dish, between the mounting bolts. and measure the elevation there. then add the "offset" angle. And adjust for your required elevation to the sat. I don't know what the offset for that dish is but commonly is between 20 and 26 degrees.

I don't think it would fit on the backside between the bolts.

Would it work the same way on the front side in between the mounting bolts?

Since the elevation I require is 37.5 degrees would I set the angle to 11.5-17 degrees?

<<I require is 37.5 degrees would I set the angle to 11.5-17 degrees?>> Yes. The board vertical on the face is probably the most accurate. Then once you find and tune the sat, measure the face again, then mark your dish with the difference between your measurement, and the elevation of the sat. It's the offset. Will make re-aiming that much faster. I got CRS, so my dishes are all marked with their "offset"

Ok, my offset is 24 degrees, So i need 13 degrees angle. Should be easy enough :)

Another question, This is my first time setting up a dish where the lnb is clamped to the dish by the feed neck. Do I put the LNB all the way towards the dish, all the way back away from the dish, or in the middle of the feed neck?

I hope that makes some sense...

Put the LNB in the middle until you find the signal.Then adjust it in or out to best quality level.Then rotate the LNB clockwise/anticlockwise for best signsl.Of course move the dish up down then sise to side first.
You might try finding 98w and marking that elevation on your dish and then 83w and marking that on the dish.This will give you a good idea of your scale.G'luck

Adjust it in or out to best quality level.Then rotate the LNB clockwise/anticlockwise for best signsl.

I guess I shouldn't have mounted it so high....:rolleyes:

When it is pointed in the direction of 63w-110w I can not reach the lnb to make those adjustments. Oh well... I should mount it lower anyways.

I think I might mount an circular lnb on and try to hit 72.5w. Then I can mark it, swap lnb's and start making fine adjustments.

This is my first time playing with a bigger dish, its been interesting so far. My other dishs are 2 starchoice 75e's. Gotta love the free starchoice dish's & lnb's for fta.

I appreciate all your help so far, everyone here is always so helpful :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)