Help setting up dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

35LKSA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Eastern PA
I am a fulltime RV'er and I just relocated to South Carolina for a month or so. I had DishNetwork for 10 years prior to switching to DirectTV in September. I never had an issue setting up my dish with DishNetwork.

Like a dummy, I did not bother to look at the satellite signal screen prior to leaving PA, so I have a question. When I look at the signal strength screen I see many satellites (SWM, 101, 99c, 99s, 103s, 103ca and 103cb). What are all of these birds? I have the Premium programming along with NFL Sunday Ticket. Do I need signal from all of these birds? I am using a Slimline antenna.

I am assuming I need signal from all of them as I am missing a few channels, but my real question is what are all of these? The birds I have no signal from are: 99s, 103s and 103ca.

I used a meter to get peak signal level but I assume I must be off a bit. I did raise the elevation to where signal strength started to fall off and then backed up to the strongest level. Same thing for Azimuth. I set the Skew prior to putting the dish on the tripod so I did not mess with that again.

Am I off on the Azimuth, Elevation or Skew?

I want to know how to do this myself so I don't have to call a technician every time I move.

Last edited:
The 99s and 103s are the spot beam sats at those locations. The 103ca is one of the CONUS sats at 103. The other is listed as 103cb.
How good are the signals from 99c and 103cb?

here are my current levels (from the satellite setup screen):

• SWM = 97
  • 101 = 79
  • 99c = 68
  • 99s = not aquired
  • 103s = not aquired
  • 103ca = 39
  • 103cb = 48
I am not sure which bird to zero in on for DirectTV. (DN I zero'ed in on 119 or 72 depending where I was). I saw the SWM @ 97 and left it there.

That dish needs realignment. I'll assume you have the Slimline SL3 SWM dish. So make sure the mast is plumb. Then set the skew and elevation. Use the azimuth to zero in on the 101 sat. This should get you real close on 99 and 103. Then you use the dithering technique to get them better. I'll let others explain that. :)

I also assume that in your old location you got your locals from the sat at 119 and/or 72.

BTW, the SWM value has nothing to do with any satellite.

OK thanks. I'll have to realign it for sure. That makes sense - zero in on the middle bird and the other two will fall into place. Duh :facepalm

Yes, I have a Slimline3. I was getting Philadelphia locals but I don't know which birds they were from.

I am only in S.C. for a few weeks and then I'll be in San Antonio for 6 months. I'll change my locals when I get down there.

Max out 101 the rest will follow if you have the skew right

It's not quite that easy, but it is that simple. 35LKSA, you need to be patient when adjusting for the 99 and 103 satellites. After you make an adjustment, wait for a few seconds because the equipment takes a little time to register the changes. There is an online tutorial at Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories that is helpful. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Edit: I just checked the Solid Signal website and I couldn't find the video I referred to. Anybody know where it can be found?

I used this video on YouTube.

This may be more information than really needed but it gave me a good introduction to all the issues with SWM and dish setting. I don't use the dithering for RV setup since reception seems to be more than satisfactory with just the azimuth, tilt and skew set correctly.

I use this site for settings since it gives you the corrected magnetic azimuth. This is very helpful when you are on the road.

As said before, once you get 101 locked in, the rest sort of falls into place. Do enjoy!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input. Normally I use my meter for strongest signal then fine tune using the signal strength meter screen. I didn't this time because all of the birds listed confused me.

I'll get out there Saturday morning and tweak it. I think my Skew may be off a little too based on the numbers I'm seeing (99 and 101 are low but close, 103 is way off). Between now and then I'll take a look at the video.

How to dither...
Alignment:
Set Azimuth, Elevation and Tilt based on the customers Zip Code
Rough peak the Azimuth pointing at the 101 satellite location by obtaining the highest possible
signal level on your signal level meter, with the azimuth rough aligned, tighten the mast clamp
bolts.
Using the Azimuth screw bolt, turn clock wise and counter clock wise until you get the highest
signal level on the 101 satellite.
Using the Elevation screw bolt, turn clock wise and counter clock wise until you get the highest
signal level on the 101 satellite.
Record the signal level for 101, Set the Elevation plastic dial to zero.
Using the Elevation screw bolt, turn 2 full turns counter clock wise, record the signal level.
Rotate the bolt clockwise counting the number of turns until the same signal level is reached.
Divide this number of turns by 2, turn the Elevation plastic dial to zero.
Rotate the Elevation screw counter clock wise by the divided number of turns, tighten the Elevation
bolts down.
The signal level should be the same or higher than with your rough alignment.
Record the signal level for 101, Set the Azimuth plastic dial to zero.
Using the Azimuth screw bolt, turn 2 full turns counter clock wise, record the signal level.
Rotate the bolt clockwise counting the number of turns until the same signal level is reached.
Divide this number of turns by 2, turn the Azimuth plastic dial to zero.
Rotate the Azimuth screw counter clock wise by the divided number of turns, tighten the Azimuth
bolts down. The signal level should be the same or higher than with your rough alignment.
Check all nuts and bolts and make sure they are tightened to specification. Pay close attention to
the LNB lock down bolts. They must be installed wrench tight to prevent LNB movement.

Thanks guys for all the help. I fine tuned the Azimuth and Elevation on Sat. 101. Got it up to 98. Sat. 99 was still in the mid 70's and Sat.103 was in the low 80's. I fiddled with the Skew a bit and both are 87 and 88 respectively.

I printed the dithering instructions. As I am leaving S.C. in 1 1/2 weeks, I didn't go thru the dithering, i just used the fine tune bolts to get the best signal I could. When I setup in San Antonio I will do the dithering process.

Thanks guys for all the help. I fine tuned the Azimuth and Elevation on Sat. 101. Got it up to 98. Sat. 99 was still in the mid 70's and Sat.103 was in the low 80's. I fiddled with the Skew a bit and both are 87 and 88 respectively.

I printed the dithering instructions. As I am leaving S.C. in 1 1/2 weeks, I didn't go thru the dithering, i just used the fine tune bolts to get the best signal I could. When I setup in San Antonio I will do the dithering process.

That's a big improvement. It should get you very consistent reception. :up

That'll work. After the dithering you should be in the 90's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts