HELP! Unable to get my Directv dish setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seauubee

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Port Hueneme, CA
Just purchased a SWM SL3s to use for camping.

We have been able to obtain a 65 signal on Satellite 101 rather easily by setting the tilt, azimuth & elevation using the values provided from entering our zip code (93041).

However we just can't get much more ... most instructions say to fine tune the elevation and azimuth very slightly but the values don't change much and never get above 70.

Is it just impossible to accomplish without an expensive instument?

The dish was advertised as a Slimline but it doesn't say Slimline on the dish. It looks just like the one attached to our house which gets 95's.

Thanks for any help
Curt

:welcome to Satelliteguys seauubee!

If it's a swm lnb you need a power inserter, either 21 or 29 volt. Are you using one?

slimline.jpg This is a slimline dish. There may be a different logo on it.

:welcome to Satelliteguys seauubee!

If it's a swm lnb you need a power inserter, either 21 or 29 volt. Are you using one?

yes ... we are running a 50 foot RJ6 from the SWM LNB straight to the power inserter then a shorter RJ6 to the HR44.

I am posting a picture of the dish.

I read about dithering ... gonna try that in the morning.

thanks for the responses.

Curt
dish.jpg

U should be able to get 95-99% on 101 without dithering. One time I had the same problem and found out the reflector was bent but couldn’t see it, so I put on another reflector plate and was good to go!

RANT ON
Every year as football season starts, the newbies want the 'satellite' at their tailgate.
Maybe we need a 'sticky thread' about portable satellite reception!

HOWEVER, it needs to start by emphasizing you can't just throw the dish up and point south and get 100% reception.

Pointing a 2 foot plate at a bus 22,500 miles away is not easy.
It is not terrible difficult if you are successful a few times and understand the pitfalls.

Please start EARLY in your efforts for tailgate TV and make certain you are successful many times BEFORE arriving at the stadium and acting bewildered that TV reception doesn't magically appear

RANT OFF

Doctor j

RANT ON
Every year as football season starts, the newbies want the 'satellite' at their tailgate.

HOWEVER, it needs to start by emphasizing you can't just throw the dish up and point south and get 100% reception.

It is not terrible difficult if you are successful a few times and understand the pitfalls.

Please start EARLY in your efforts for tailgate TV and make certain you are successful many times BEFORE arriving at the stadium and acting bewildered that TV reception doesn't magically appear

RANT OFF

Doctor j
I always recommend people setting it up in thier driveways MULTIPLE times to get use to how it works, before going on the road with it.

Another thing, IF HD is not an issue, you can get a Directv King Quest (believe thats the correct name) set it up and it finds the signal in a matter of a minute or two.

RANT ON

RANT OFF

Doctor j

LMAO ... at myself. I appreciate your response in spite of the rant. Having been in the computer business for over 5 decades I have told many people to RTFM.

Nevertheless I want to get this thing working and am determined to do so.

Please look at the picture of my dish and tell me if I should be concerned that it doesn't sat Slimline on it.

Thanks
Curt

LMAO ... at myself. I appreciate your response in spite of the rant. Having been in the computer business for over 5 decades I have told many people to RTFM.

Nevertheless I want to get this thing working and am determined to do so.

Please look at the picture of my dish and tell me if I should be concerned that it doesn't sat Slimline on it.

Thanks
Curt
It's a slimline, no worries.

thanks again to all who responded ...

got it working quite well this am, able to receive all the stations including local (in spite of no 99 sat)

the 101 sat is in the high 70's

taking it RV camping, will be setting it up and tearing it down several times

yes I wish I had thought to get the dish a month ago ...

wadda ya think about cutting off the ends of the tripod and tack welding a threaded piece inside the leg and attaching an adjustable swivel foot?

wadda ya think about cutting off the ends of the tripod and tack welding a threaded piece inside the leg and attaching an adjustable swivel foot?

Sounds like an excellent way to easily adjust the tripod for level (mounting mast at true perpendicular) before making your dish tuning adjustments.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts