Help understanding SatMap information

hobie16

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
USA (Full time RV'er
I have been looking at the SatMap for E16 61.5 SP29 Rochester. I am planning to visit family in the Philadelphia area in my RV. I use a portable antenna on a tripod with a EA .2 LNB setup. I am wondering if I will still be able to receive my locals from the Rochester NY DMA. My location will be on the edge of the 53.9 dBw band but I don't know if that represents a usable signal strength.
Appreciate any info you can give me.

Ok let me rephrase the question...
How accurate are the Spot Beam maps shown in the SatMaps page? It would seem that the coverage for SP29 on the 61.5 sat for Rochester NY extends all the way down to the Philadelphia area, however I don't know if the signal strength at that point is adequate for good reception. Any opinions?

If you want to be able to watch the Rochester locals when you travel, your best bet is to get an HWS at home and use Dish Anywhere to watch them on your computer if you have internet access. That's what I have done when we travel.
As far as the spot beam, I don't know.

Exactly. They are generally accurate but not exact for sure. Just trying it really is the answer, or to put it another way, if we said it would not work, what would you do differently - so try it! Since you are not using the WA, AAD for a month to get network programming is not possible. Online would be the way to see those particular locals if the beam does not reach. If getting any network is the end game, and online is not an option, you could give DISH the location of where you will be and get the locals from there like someone would do at a vacation home, if they are on the EA. Of course OTA is also a possibility......

The maps are accurate representations of MAXIMUM possible power transnission of a beam.

Each 3 dbw decrease represents a 50 percent decrease in signal strength.

In practice, many non -Conus beams do not transmit at maximun power - reducing the reception area down to the desired market area. Similar to the volume control on a radio, they can vary the signal strength.

But, the delta dbw relationship between adjacent curves does not change, nor the pattern appearance (just gets shrunk into a smaller geographic area).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

I have been looking at the SatMap for E16 61.5 SP29 Rochester. I am planning to visit family in the Philadelphia area in my RV. I use a portable antenna on a tripod with a EA .2 LNB setup.

I'm not seeing the sat map that you are seeing. I'm looking here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Rochester, NY and that shows spotbeam 51 (not 29) for Rochester, NY. If you want SD, you could try western arc 110 spot 09. But that also doesn't quite reach Philly. There are a number of other markets still on 77 (which is conus), if those would work for you instead of Rochester.

This is the Sat map I have been looking at:

http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/echostar-16-61-5w-sp29-rochester

I understand that I can call Dish and change my DMA but this is a temporary location and I didn't want to bother. I was surprised by the area of coverage of the spot beam when I looked and wondered if I really could get reception at that distance. I will set it up and when I go there in few weeks and respond with the results.

I appreciate the all general info about that has been posted .

Thanks

This is the Sat map I have been looking at:

http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/echostar-16-61-5w-sp29-rochester

I understand that I can call Dish and change my DMA but this is a temporary location and I didn't want to bother. I was surprised by the area of coverage of the spot beam when I looked and wondered if I really could get reception at that distance. I will set it up and when I go there in few weeks and respond with the results.

I appreciate the all general info about that has been posted .

Thanks

I have been looking at : http://satmaps.satelliteguys.us/home/echostar-16-61-5w-sp29-rochester

Why is it different that the info in "The List"?
Or am I making a mistake in viewing the FCC maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts