Help Upgrading My System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

astein

Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

I currently have two receivers, one Hughes Tivo unit (with two satellite inputs) and a standard RCA receiver (with one input) and a round, triple LNB dish.

I want to add a third receiver (a Samsung Tivo unit) with two inputs. There are currently 3 lines running out of the satellite (two to the DVR, one to the std. receiver).

What do I need to do to add 2 more lines to run to the additional TIVO?

Thanks for your help! alan

Since there are 4 lines out of the satellite, which two would I run into the two LNB lines of the a 3x8?

Thx!

I miss read your post there the 1st time but you will need the 4 x5 switch or 5x8 if your ever going to add any other recivers and you would run all 4 lines coming from the dish and then to your recivers , if you are one day going to get a HD reciver or a HD Tivo reciver then you might want to go ahead and get the 5x8 it does require a power supply to hook it up too.

Your current 3-LNB dish provides 4 outputs that each can access signals from all 3 satellites. To preserve access to all 3 satellites, you need to add a cascadable 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch, connect all 4 outputs from the satellite dish to it, then run wires from 5 of the 8 outputs of the multiswitch to each of the tuners on your receivers.

If you don't care about programming delivered via the 110 and 119 degree satellites, you can get by using a 2xN or 3xN multiswitch connect to two of the 4 outputs of your dish, then connect your current receiver and the new one to the outputs of that multiswitch. Anything connected to that multiswitch will only get programming from the 101 degree satellite. You can leave your Hughes TiVo DVR connected directly to the satellite dish, and it will still receive programming from all 3 satellites. Or you could connect a 2x8 or 3x8 multiswitch to two of the 3 current lines from the dish that you have, then connect both TiVo DVR's to the 2x8 or 3x8 multiswitch. Maybe that's more convenient. But again, only programming from 101 degrees will be available to the receivers connected to it.

The first option (the 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch) is the most flexible, and leaves you able to add more receivers, including HD receivers, but does mean you need to run two more wires from your dish (or wherever you locate the multiswitch, which itself needs all 4 wires from the dish conected to its inputs).

It does not matter which outputs from the dish you conect to a 2xN or 3xN multiswitch; the dish will send the signals the multiswitch needs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.