Help viewing HD

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
Dish Net ViP622 connected via HDMI cable to an Olevia 37" flat panel 'HDTV'

Subscription pkg: DishNet DishFam with locals and HD Locals, but, no subscription to an HD pkg.

Dish Net states that even though I don't 'officially' subscribe / pay for an HD pkg, any channel that I view that is annotated HD (HD locals, PPV HDs, PPV HD sports) should be viewable in HD format (because I am paying the HD enabling fee for this particular receiver).

Now, my eyes are not 20/10 or robotic or anything like that, but when I switch between a channel, such as a local, in regular digital feed and it's HD sister, I do not see a noticable difference in the picture quality. But, I do notice that the picture is slightly, just slightly now, zoomed, and I do notice an increase in the sound volume without adjusting the volume from channel to channel.

Do I need to do something to my TV to notice a more 'HD picture' between the two feeds? Or is HD really not all that different to the naked eye?

What is your viewing distance? If you are too far away, you won't notice increased resolution.

Look in your setup menu on the 622 for the output resolution. It might be set to 480P. Most people report the best picture if you set the 622 to 1080i, even if the set is 720P.

Dish does compress the signal some. If you can receive locals OTA, you might want to compare and get the feeds that way if better.

Just because the channel is HD, not all content is HD. Might just depend on what you are watching.

Finally, check the input settings on your TV. Some have settings to limit HDMI input resolution. Set it to 1080i as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)