Help WiFi or Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
First of all what some of the posters are missing is that you have a combination radio/ directional antenna mounted on the outside of your building so your ISP will have to connect an external antenna to your radio to increase the signal gain.

Before going this route I would test my connection by by-passing both my routers. If this works then you know the problem is your internal network.

My internet service is delivered by Wi-Fi and my ISP recommends only certain brands of equipment and nothing using the N band. It is easier to change your router for $50 - $80 than end up tearing your hair out fighting balky equipment.

If it is your your network the problem is probably that either your radio, router 1 or router 2 are assigning internal IP addresses. If this is happening confusion results and you loose your connection to the internet. You won't be able to get back onto the internet until you release and renew all your IP addresses.

Finally to improve my reliability I have my radio and routers all powered through a UPS so the numerous power glitches we have in the USVI don't scramble my service.

Hope this helps. If your problems are network related you may want to hire a network pro to help you program your routers.

Jim

Jim

Thank you,
Service has improved 1000% since 10/15, we have had 1 morning that had a 20 minutes signal loss. This was on their end and all has been good since. All the disconnects anywhere from 10 to 20 a day have stopped completely. I installed a UPS quite a while back due to instructions from server looking for a way to eliminate problems (that did not work) The extra length of tower was the big problem solver, wish I had done it 2 yrs ago on original install. The equipment I'm using on a backup PC there is Linksys BEFSR41 router. The main PC there is a Dlink DES 1105 router. Any suggestions, but please dumb it down for me. Not brightest bulb in the box.

I switched from WildBlue two years ago to wireless internet and would never go back again to satellite. I'm two miles from a 40' tower and have a top speed of 1.5 Mbps download and around 300 Kbps upload and cost me 48 dollars a month and that with trees in the way and no phone line is needed. The antenna they installed is on my TV tower at around 25 feet. From your first posting I'm slightly confused about your setup as it seems your talking more about a satellite connection and maybe in house WiFi setup using satellite. If you are talking wireless internet and having issue just make sure that they have you on the right antenna, the setup here uses two antennas which have there own frequencies and you just might be on the wrong antenna and getting the signal on the backside.

This time of year, with leaves falling off the trees, signals are going to improve for those that are having issues. Issues may return next year if it was due to heavy foliage attenuating the signal.

I was concered at first and kept my Wildblue system just to see if the leafs would be an issue and as it turned out they weren't and I've seen no different between seasons in my case. But it's so nice not to worry about how much data I'm downloading. Being a radio signal and not knowing the power output I'm not sure just how much lose one could expect and at what distance they would start cauing a problem.The only time I wished I had the dish back was when the winds last week ripped the antenna I use right of the tower and took them 3 days because of the winds to fix it. Talk about missing the internet I even mentioned to them I'd climb the tower with my gin pole and install the new antenna since the guy wasn't going up the tower, but something about insurance issues stopped that..

I work for a company that provides internet to businesses over microwave radios both point-to-point and point-to-multipoint. In your case it is most likely a multipoint system. The farthest multipoint shot we have is a customer 52 miles away from the tower site. I suspect we could go farther, but that is the farthest one we have so far, and that works with no problem. Its all about what type and gain antennas they use, also what freq they are using, but you can normally go a long distance with no problem.

I switched from WildBlue two years ago to wireless internet and would never go back again to satellite. I'm two miles from a 40' tower and have a top speed of 1.5 Mbps download and around 300 Kbps upload and cost me 48 dollars a month and that with trees in the way and no phone line is needed. The antenna they installed is on my TV tower at around 25 feet. From your first posting I'm slightly confused about your setup as it seems your talking more about a satellite connection and maybe in house WiFi setup using satellite. If you are talking wireless internet and having issue just make sure that they have you on the right antenna, the setup here uses two antennas which have there own frequencies and you just might be on the wrong antenna and getting the signal on the backside.

I think it's what Server called a radio antenna. I will give a call and see if I can narrow that down a bit. I will find out what's on tower but at least as I stated there is a huge improvement in consistency. No 15 to 20 disconnects a day I would like more speed but maybe not. If I ever got 500kbs I probably would have a heart attack.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)