Help with 1000.4 eastern arc... Cannot get 61.4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rab669

Original poster
May 26, 2013
Dawsonville ga
Trying to do a self install

Setup:
1 hopper
1000.4 dish with 2 cables plugged in to port 1 and 2
Solo node with both cables plugged in with a single cable going to receiver

Signal of 50 on sat 72
Signal of 76 on sat 77

When I check signal on 61.4 is displays wrong sat and tells me I'm connected to echostar 77 with a strength of 77

So both 61.4 and 77 show connected to 77 with the same signal strength

Any ideas why they do that and how to I add 61.4. I'd rather hav that instead of 77 because I'm not getting locals

Thanks

Which dish as there are two types of 1000.4. One has three sats and newer one is set for only 61.5 and 72 only but since you have both 72 and 77 one would think it is the first. If that is the case, you may be sightly off since 77 is so high and it doesn't need to be. There is also a glitch with the software that if a sat is not in the matrix, the meter will not show it so I would remove the sat coax from the back of the receiver and run check switch without the coax connected (it clears the matrix) and see if you are in fact getting signal on 61.5 and don't run check switch until both 61.5 and 72 sats both have signal strength in the high 50's at least.

According to the instructional manual for a triple lnb eastern arc 1000.4 dish install, you are supposed to aim at 72.7 sat with the second lnb input. If you have elevation right and you aimed right and used transponder 19 or 21 for peaking on 72.7 , the 61.5 sat should come in too. The Azimuth cam can be adjusted to get the sweet spot between both 72.7 and 77 sat for maximum peaking for both. I tested my signal strengths last night to see what I was getting and I was surprised to see that the 77 sat , that used to get only 40 - 55 strength on their transponders , now gets in the 60s and high 70s on all the transponders ,except 0 signal on 14 and 26 transponders. On 72.7 using 19 transponder I got 60 strength and on 61.5 sat I am getting a mix of strengths between 50 - 70 and a lot of spot beams now. My own locals for Houston had moved to another transponder and spot beam from the 13 that they were on before to 23 now. I guess they replaced the 77 sat with a new one finally to be getting such strong signal levels now.

So I should be able to cover the 2 outside lnbs and I should get 72 sat only. I have a suspicion I'm pointed to 77 and I'm get 72 on the lower lnb and missing 61. The thing that seems odd is that when I check 61 it says I'm pointed to wrong sat and shows the 77 sat which I am getting g fine on another lnb.

Also.. If I want to get 61 sat do I have to have a cable coming from Port 3. The manual says port 3 is used to output sat 61. I was told I o ly needed 2 cables into a solo node if I'm just running a hopper only. I'm plugged I to port 1 and 2 currently.

Which dish as there are two types of 1000.4. One has three sats and newer one is set for only 61.5 and 72 only but since you have both 72 and 77 one would think it is the first.

Actually it's the 1000.2 with the EA Twin (EA.2.) 1000.4 has the 1K.4 and the WA.4, both are triple LNB, one for EA the other for WA.

OP: Try running a check switch. Sounds like your Hopper is hooked up properly, it's either not aimed correctly or the check switch didn't run right. 61.5 is the LNB by itself and 72.7 is in the center. The only time the ports matter is when using a sat meter. 77 is on port 1, 72.7 is on port 2, 61.5 is on port 3.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the 61 lnb might be bad. I covered the two outside lnbs and verified signal on 72 with the center lnb. I have 50 signal strength on 72 and 70 signal strength on 77 but nothing on 61. I have 2 cables from Port 1 and 2 into a solo node. I would think if I'm getting signal from 2 of 3 ports I should see the 61 sat.

Anyone know if there is a way to test 1 one of the lnbs without a meter. I would think if I'm getting good signal of 2 of the lnbs is should see something on the third?

It might sound silly & obvious, but what transponder are you on when you're getting the wrong satellite message? If you forgot which transponders to check, go into the Diagnostics send status screen (menu>6>3 if I recall). Also, if the 61.5 comes up on a check switch test, then you are indeed picking up SOME signal from it.

I have an LNB that has 1 double and 1 single. When I run a check switch it shows connection to 72 and 77 and the 3rd connection has a red x. I have no idea what transponder I am checking for 61. I will look at it this weekend when I am back home. What transponder should I be checking.

TPs 29 and 31 always read 0 here on my 1000.4 while 10 and 14 are in the 60s. Are 29 and 31 spotbeams now?

YES. I checked and I am seeing spotbeams on transponders 1,9, 20, 22, 23, 24,25, 27,28,29,30, and 32. I see 0 strength on 18,19,21,26 and 31 transponders.

I have an LNB that has 1 double and 1 single. When I run a check switch it shows connection to 72 and 77 and the 3rd connection has a red x. I have no idea what transponder I am checking for 61. I will look at it this weekend when I am back home. What transponder should I be checking.
You are pointing too far west. you are getting 77 on center LNB and 72.7 on the other LNB. The red x tells you that. One LNB is seeing nothing so it isn't seeing a bird. You will need to move the dish probably 3 degree or so to the E and maybe need to raise it just a small amt. Then once the center LNB is on 72.7 then tweak it for 61.5 and 77.

Whatchel1

Is the order under check switch the same as the lnb. I should see 77 then 72 then 61 in that order? I covered the two outside lnbs with foil and verified 72 was the only sat I was seeing

The order should be 77 72 61.5. So when you uncover the LNBs, you still only get 72 and 77? If so, sounds like an LOS issue to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

It is sounding much like either line of sight or bad LNB block. I would still try moving dish E & up a bit and see what you get. BTW unless you have Spanish programming or your locals are on 77 you don't need it anyway. Once you figure out by moving dish (you don't even need to peak it just get a useable signal). Then you will know for sure what the problem seems to be.

My line of sight is clear.
Is it possible to hit 61and 72 with the double lnb and not use the single outside one for that?
I thought the double is lined up for 77 and 72.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)