Help with 4DTV BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mct1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hi Guys,

I got a 10' 4DTV BUD for free without anything else. After installing it, I tried to
scan for both C and Ku with my Orasat 3. It shows a change in signal strength
(90% on some sats) , but I can't lock any sats for a positive signal. I have
not connected the servo wiring because there is no place to connect it to on my
Orasat. Is the servo required to receive a signal (both C and Ku) ? Will I have
to get an analog receiver or some other FTA receiver to make this work ? It seems
both the Ku and C lnb's are OK because I get variation in signal strength when I
try different sats. The guy said it was working fine before he gave it to me.
Thanks for any feedback.

The servo switches between vertical and horizontal polorization but you could currently be part way between the two and getting neither. You can use an analog reciever or a digital box like a pansat 2500/2700/3500 to control the skew. You could also swap the lnb/servo system to a voltage controled C/ku lnbf. What are you using to move the dish?

Thanks SatPhreak,

I don't have a mover on the dish. I was just testing the components to see if all
would work just as if I were using a small dish. I set elevation and scanned to the
position. If I got a signal lock, I would have to hold the dish in that position by
some means. So, if my servo were somehow stuck in vitro, I could give it some
voltage to flip it one way or the other, I guess. I'll have to research and find what
voltage to apply or is there another way ? I know this would give me only horiz. or
vert. , but that would at least tell me that my components are working before I
commit more money that I don't really have.:confused:

No you can't move the servo just by applying voltage. It has 3 wires on the servo: red is always +5, black is always ground, and white uses different lengths of timed pulses to move the probe one way or the other. You could losen the bolts that hold the lnb into the scaler and rotate the entire lnb inside the scaler. Make sure you mark the lnb so you know where it goes back to. Also mark how far it sticks out of the scaler so it stays the same and doesn't put the lnb out of the focal point. That will get you one polarity. If you want the other you will need to manually rotate the lnb 90 degrees.

Sadoun is getting a GBox with polarity control in November that will drive the dish actuator and also control the servo. If your reciever has diseqc 1.2 it will control it.

skew voltage

The skew wires are 5 volt and no more. I would have to assume it's either on vert or horz now soyou may have to lossen the mounting screws and turn no more than 1/4 turn in either direction to get a picture. I also have a BUD and 4dtv receiver and have a digiwave 7000 slaved off of the 4dtv. So i work my skew with the 4dtv and watch fta with the digiwave and I also have an actuator for swinging the dish. If you look on the net you can find the diagrams for slaving you orasat3 off your 4dtv so you have skew control. Also you really can't beat the 4dtv receiver. Any ways thats my thoughts on it, good luck..................

Thanks very much, guys.

You've definitely given me some info that I could not decipher myself from all I've
found so far on the internet. I will definitely get a proper wiring system to some
controller before I start messing with manually adjusting the lnb's. Why mess
with a setup that was working before.

Take care:)

The servo is a pulsed 5vdc signal. Not just direct voltage.
applying power directly will not move it.

A voltage switched lnbf would probably be better for you or an analog receiver for moving the dish and controlling the polarity of the feedhorn.

If you don't want to do the analog receiver route, I would get a v-box and an lnbf.

The v-box will use diseqc commands from your fta box and move the dish.

The lnbf will use coax voltage from the receiver to switch between H and V.

Status
Please reply by conversation.