Help with an OTA setup on VIP722K

textman

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
SC
My mother-in-law lost her CBS feed, so I was telling her about OTA options for her. I told her that we could add the MT2 OTA Module and she could get it to show up on her guide. Well be the good son-in-law! :D I told her I would get her setup. Well I one question in getting my items together. I had laying around from my DTV days, some Perfect Vision PVDP-2 power passing bi-directional diplexers. Can I use these in place of the 2amp ones I keep reading about?
Thanks in advance for your help!

I believe those will work. I'm assuming you also have an antenna to hook up as well. I've seen way to many people that think just having the OTA module will get them their local channels.

What you mean I got to install an antenna!???? ;) Yep already done! She is watching OTA through her TV at the moment. She really likes the idea of it all being consolidated through her receiver. I have a similar setup with my DTV and she really likes the functionality.
Thanks for the reply!

Having the OTA through the receiver is one of the best features Dish's receivers have. No confusion for the customer and allows you to record the extra channels Dish doesn't carry.

I assumed you had an antenna but you'd be surprised how many people don't realize that they need one. Sometimes you have to ask the dumb questions just to make sure. LOL

I have a quick question on the same subject. The OTA channel info will show up in the program guide and can be recorded, is this also true if you travel out of your DMA? for example will the Atlanta local info show in the guide if your DMA is still New York city? I have a 722K that I was considering adding a OTA module to for when I travel in my RV.

I have a quick question on the same subject. The OTA channel info will show up in the program guide and can be recorded, is this also true if you travel out of your DMA? for example will the Atlanta local info show in the guide if your DMA is still New York city? I have a 722K that I was considering adding a OTA module to for when I travel in my RV.

My info (although data can be messed up at times) does follow me when I take my 722k on the road. I do get the ota info that is available on the out of market channels.

Your OTA will show the info for the channels that you have scanned in. So, yes, Atlanta will show if you are in that spotbeam....

Don't forget that if the reason your mother-in-law lost CBS is because it was removed due to a contract dispute (such as the ongoing Media General thing) then, although the channel itself will be on the guide, the actual programming information will not be present, only a message about the dispute. At least that is how it was earlier this year when my local Raycom station went off Dish. I had to program my timers manually, and find out what programs were on by other means.

If you have the antenna hooked to TV now, just hook to 722K, no need for a diplexer. Just like lifesaver 2000 said you will not get EPG if channel was dropped by dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)