Help with antenna combining

solidsnakeiv

Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Marianna, FL
I currently have a clearstream4 mounted in my attic and it does a great job picking up OTA, however I also want to get some channels in that are located opposite of where my antenna is pointed, If I bought another C4 and mounted it facing the other direction would it be possible to combine both antennas signal down to one coax......I don't want to fool with a rotator.

I might be tough, but you can certainly try it with a simple splitter/combiner. The risk with that approach of course is multipath cancellation: a strong signal is received by both antennas and the two signals arrive at the junction slightly out of phase and thus disrupt each other. But if the signals in your area are relatively weak and that antenna quite directional with little back-side gain then you might not have a problem with them pointed in opposite directions. (It would be best if they are not exactly 180 deg. apart, e.g. 150 deg.?)

Another option requires using channel-specific combiners/filters. That would get quite complicated with more than a couple of channels. You could also try a simple switch that enables only 1 antenna at a time, but that makes scanning a real chore.

The rotator is probably your best option overall; you won't have any of the above issues nor the losses through the combiners/filters...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts