Winegard 7697P

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
I haven't been able to find any information on what the range in miles is on this antenna. Also will it hurt my really close locals that according to tvfool.com has a dB of 65.9 on down? Since it says that this antenna has higher gains in dB.

Someone from solid signal recommend I get this antenna for a station that I want to get that is 73.1 miles away with a dB of -5.3

I hope I'm not confusing anyone.
Thanks in advanced.

Just an antenna will never overload a tuner no matter how large the antenna unless you are very near the transmitter, but that overload even in that case probably is caused by signal leakage directly into the tuner wiring.

Only by adding a pre-amplifier can you overload a tuner in the great majority of cases.

Mileage estimates on antennas are generally to be used only as estimates. It is better to look at urban, sub-urban, fringe and deep fringe.

If cost and WAF allow go for the largest antenna of the proper frequency range.

If you need amplification for distribution losses then you go there, but an amplifier will never create signal that the antenna cannot see.

For ATSC signals, if your signal is marginal (antenna sees signal), a pre-amp can stabilize your reception.

Here is my posted tvfool results.

Attachments

• Radar-Digital2.png
    Radar-Digital2.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 212
If you are seeking WWHO-53.1 from Columbus, I personally don't think the 7697 or any combo antenna will pull it in reliably 24/7. The 91-XG(~$75.00) would be your best bet; but with the obstructions between you & the transmitter, it may still not be 100% reliable.(You're right on the digital cliff edge)

If you don't need ABC & CBS out of Cincinnati, you don't really need a VHF antenna at all.
With a rotater(~$70.00 & up), you should be able to get all the stations down to the gray zone of your TV FOOL report; except for those 2 VHF'S out of Cincinnati.

IF you do want those 2 VHF's, I recommend adding the Winegard YA-1713(~$40) pointed towards Cincinnati. The 2 antennas can be combined into the same downlead with a UVSJ (~$3.99)

If you need a pre-amp for distribution to more than 1 TV, I would go with the Winegard HDP-269(~$38.00). Any other pre-amp may overload because of the strong locals from Dayton.;)

Thany you for all that info. I will probably go with the 91xg and the winegard pointed towards cincy for the vhfs.

I just want to make sure that the xg with the recommended pre-amp will not overload the Dayton channels?

I will probably do this when the weather warms up.

I just want to make sure that the xg with the recommended pre-amp will not overload the Dayton channels?
I seriously doubt the HDP-269 will give you any problems; especially when the analog stations go dark. The only concern would be if you have any FM stations right on top of you.(THe HDP-269 does not have an FM trap).

I bought an HDP-269 to use here "after" the transition. My signal levels are much higher than yours.(I"m actually getting a slight amount of overload with the 91-XG with no amp) Just for kicks, I tried the HDP-269, and was very surprised I only lost 1 digital station.(That station is very weak )

I have attached my TV FOOL report (Analog & digital)

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 173
Thany you for all that info. I will probably go with the 91xg and the winegard pointed towards cincy for the vhfs.

I will probably do this when the weather warms up.

Make sure you install the 91xg as the highest antenna, above your other one. I used to use one of these many years ago, on a 55ft tower, (our ground elevation was also high) with a Winegard 38db gain, 1db noise UHF only preamp, and I could pick up stations over 300 miles away, and they were watchable! Awesome antenna, and it has a very tight beam.

I even had a couple times I picked up a station in FLORIDA (1200+ miles, and obviously over the horizon, hehe), and we were located in Bridgeport Michigan! Oh, the good old days of Tv dx'ing, I sure miss them, they were a LOT of fun!

I also wanted to know how far apart the winegard and XG needed to be from each other if any at all.
Since I only need the VHF antenna to point to Cincy, how would I have a rotater set up for the XG w/o turing the Winegard antenna?

And does anyone have photos they would like to share of a similar set-up as the one I would like to do?

The 2 antennas only need to be about 4 feet apart. You can mount the stationary VHF antenna just below the rotator pointed due south. The photo above shows both antennas above the rotor a little over 3.5 feet apart. Both antennas are very light, and don't have much wind resistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts