New OTA Antenna Installation - Winegard YA7000C Review

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
A Winegard YA7000C VHF/UHF yagi plus a Winegard BoostXT preamp (18 dB) were erected yesterday at the home QTH. I wanted something to pick up low VHF TV (54 - 88 MHz) channels and this antenna has low VHF elements, plus high VHF (174 - 216 mHz) and UHF. Due to the recent snow I erected it temporarily outside on a 12 foot pole and pointed it SE for Philadelphia stations. Philly's about 35 miles away, NYC about 50 miles. A total of 74 channels were received, mostly from Philly. Also received two NYC stations and several from NJ. So the range is from 35 - 50 miles. A rotor and increased height would definitely bring in more stations but it's not priority at the moment. My STB is a Mediasonic Homeworx converter box which I was using prior to the new antenna installation.

Yagi is 34.5 inches long, longest element is 100" (for low VHF). Weight is about 5 lbs, easy to erect. Very well constructed as was expected with all Winegard products. Amazon price was $117 with the preamp. Winegard site is selling this antenna for about $55 with free shipping, less than Amazon. Definitely satisfied with this installation. Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: madmadworld
How does low-VHF reception compare against other antennas you've tried? I've seen the YA7000C previously and was wondering about that.

- Trip

Reactions: spongella
How does low-VHF reception compare against other antennas you've tried? I've seen the YA7000C previously and was wondering about that.

- Trip
Well, prior to this antenna I was using one of those "150 mile" antennas that are cheap and have a rotor built in. It worked well on UHF but not as well on VHF as the Winegard. Winegard's much much better.

I hooked up the YA7000 and preamp to my HP spectrum analyzer. If you look at the attachment, you can see a spectral scan of the low VHF (54 - 88 mHz) TV band.

There are three major 6 mHz-wide peaks. To the left is WDPN TV, Channel 2, 54 - 60 mHz, from Delaware with a good signal.

Center peak is Channel WACP-TV, 66 - 72 megs, from Atlantic City.

Right peak is WPVI TV, Channel 6, 82 - 88 megs, from Philly.

All come in with no pixelation. So far, so good as far as I can tell.

Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments

• low vhf 12212020.jpg
    low vhf 12212020.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 230
I hooked up the YA7000 and preamp to my HP spectrum analyzer. If you look at the attachment, you can see a spectral scan of the low VHF (54 - 88 mHz) TV band.

There are three major 6 mHz-wide peaks. To the left is WDPN TV, Channel 2, 54 - 60 mHz, from Delaware with a good signal.

Merry Christmas to all.
If you are picking up Channel 6 from Philly, you are doing very well. I may have to look at this antenna to replace my CM 4221 which receives UHF and some VHF-Hi.

Merry Christmas to all.
Looks like one carrier is about 30dB C/N, one is about 25dB and the worst is maybe 20dB, huge signals overall.

If you are picking up Channel 6 from Philly, you are doing very well. I may have to look at this antenna to replace my CM 4221 which receives UHF and some VHF-Hi.
Reason I bought his antenna is that it includes low VHF. I also bought the preamp just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: madmadworld

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts