Help with Antenna connections

Chezbrgr2

Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Could someone please tell me how to add a larger Off air antenna I have mounted to my home into the Voom box.

I thought I knew all this stuff but when I remove the winegard stealth they provided I lose all signal.
I have the combiner inside my home and two lines running inside to it, my question is, can I add my larger antenna to this setup with a splitter or just replace thiers with mine, or can I move theirs to the top of my 20 ft mast and combine them with a splitter?

I would really like to see which works better or if both can be combined into one, but I am having trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I know very little about combining antennas. If you are running a separate line for OTA, you can disconnect your current antenna and connect your large antenna directly to Voom box without the diplexer.

Depending on the model you may need to replace the diplexer with one that does not pass DC Voltage to the antenna. This is what I had to do when I got the Winegard PR-8800(non-amplified).
Mod note: Moved thread to this forum to consolidate antenna related threads.

The lines from my dish and antenna go into a combiner at the back of the voom box, and then a single line runs to the "module on the back.

when I disconnect the antenna they installed I lose satellite and off air!

That is what has me confused. I already tried just connecting mine instead of thiers and I lost everything.

Could you be more specific as to changing what you called the diplexor, I didn't think thats what I had back there.

Thanks, and sorry for putting it in the wrong area.

Chezbrgr2 said:
The lines from my dish and antenna go into a combiner at the back of the voom box, and then a single line runs to the "module on the back.

when I disconnect the antenna they installed I lose satellite and off air!

That is what has me confused. I already tried just connecting mine instead of thiers and I lost everything.

Could you be more specific as to changing what you called the diplexor, I didn't think thats what I had back there.

Thanks, and sorry for putting it in the wrong area.

There are two gadgets that you need to disconnect if you want to run without the diplexor. One is in the back of your receiver and the other is on your roof and it looks like a splitter. When you disconnect the one in the back of your receiver, it is normal to lose the satellite reception.

This picture shows you that there is another input in the receiver where the satellite should be connected.

DSR-550back.jpg

However, you need to find the splitter outside (somewhere between the satellite and your receiver) and disconnect that one to run two separate lines - one for the receiver and one for the antenna.

I hope that's clear. Do not connect the cable to your house to the satellite input without disconnecting the splitter outside your house. You need to have two separate lines coming to the house without anything in between.

Is this the module on the back?
dipl_installed.jpg

Is this the the 'combiner' you are referring to?
41017.jpg

If those are what you are talking about they are called diplexers. Notice that the MCR labled one has lines drawn on it connecting the "IN" to the two labled 3.7dB. That means it is passing power to both the dish and the antenna. If your new antenna is not an amplified antenna you need to replace that diplexer with one like this one.
41051.jpg

Edit: Sean's instructions are for two lines that can reach the STB, these are for only one line going to the STB. Both will work just refer to the lables in the picture.

Yes that is the module to which I am refering, I think I have got an idea of what to do, let me throw it out at you guys.

First I will buy a Terk diplexer with dc block capability,
then I will take my existing antenna connecting it to the DC block side, and connect the winegard stealth they gave me on the DC pass side.

Then just reconnect to the original box they gave me inside the house at the back of my reciever, thus feeding both antennas to my box, thru the module on the back.

The reason for this is I have two or three stations out of range for me with what they gave me, and would like to use what I have existing which is a 12ft UHF VHF on a 20ft mast, hopefully this will help bring in more.

If I have anything wrong with what I am going to do please let me know and once again thanks for all your help.

If you have a 12ft. UHF/VHF antenna already and two lines running to the STB just remove the Motorola diplexer module from the back of the box connect the antenna line directly to the antenna input. If you don't have two lines then replace the existing diplexer with the DC blocking one and connect your 12 footer to the diplexer and leave the module on the back of the box.. The Stealth will be no benefit to the set-up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts