Help with upcoming move

bestbuyguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Can you lease a box if you already own??

I am one of the charter members that actually paid for the equipment. I have had 2 rooms since I signed up. My question is, in the new house we are moving into, we are adding a box. It made sense to me (since I am paying the movers fee) to try and add a box to the system via a lease. Especially because of the recent uncertaintity of Voom. I am one of the few that think they will make it because of their superior product. I would hate to give it up. Anyway, after an hour on the phone with a CSR, they said since I purchased the equipment originally, I could not lease a box. Only purchase. Anyone else tried this??? Just curious what your outcome was.

Thanks.

VOOM WILL SURVIVE, NAYSAYERS BEWARE!!!

That doesn't seem right. Forcing someone to buy an additional STB when new subscribers can get multiple STB's installed for a $1 isn't fair. You would think that Voom would want as many STB's in the field as they could get. If I was you, I think I'd press them a little harder.

I'm guessing you have had the STB for about a year. Lots of things change in a year--just look at all that has been reported here! One year ago you made a decision to purchase. Now you want to expand and they are telling you you have to purchase again, rather than lease the additional box. I'd escalate it way past the CSR level. If you don't have any luck doing that, you can always try Wilt at wilth@optonline.net, or over on the yahoo forum.

It seems to me I've read other people here complaining about the same thing. If that's really the way they do things it's just plain ridiculous and really needs to be changed. Give 'em hell, bestbuyguy -- don't take no for an answer. Good luck.

Thanks Stone Man and The Timm. I think it might be more of an issue with their computer system than anything. It is possible I am the first to try this with the amount of subs. Always been a fan of your posts...... Now if we could just send all of the Trolls to Syria (where they can fit in with the terrorists) this site would really rock!!! On another note, I've been trying to get Best Buy to pick up Voom, but they have some pretty serious contracts with DTV.... I will continue my quest.

Maybe we "customers" should be asking Best Buy about...

bestbuyguy said:
Thanks Stone Man and The Timm. I think it might be more of an issue with their computer system than anything. It is possible I am the first to try this with the amount of subs. Always been a fan of your posts...... Now if we could just send all of the Trolls to Syria (where they can fit in with the terrorists) this site would really rock!!! On another note, I've been trying to get Best Buy to pick up Voom, but they have some pretty serious contracts with DTV.... I will continue my quest.

VOOM?! Doubt that a few thousand requests will change their minds but you never know.

Yes, I agree with The Timm about others in th same boat trying to get a leased box. Seems like one person was successful back in Dec. Good luck on your quest. And Stone Man has a good idea in emailing Wilt.

Still enjoying HDTV under increasingly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill