Help with C band satellite dish install (Any help would be appreciated)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks primestar for the Info and I did pick up one of those $13.00 C-band LNB's on ebay. Before I left to go out to dinner I set my coolsat 6000 to do a multi-satellite blindscan. On the blindscan menu page I highlighted all the north America satellites then I pressed the OK button for blindscan which is still running four hours later. When I got home it was still running the blindscan but the dish did not move but it has found 288 channels. For the DisEqc setting I set it for USALS but maybe I need to set it for DisEqc 1.2?. Does anyone know if you can do a multi-satellite blindscan on the coolsat 6000 or with any FTA receiver and have the dish motor move to each satellite for the blindscan? Anyone know if a motorized multi-satellite blindscan is possible on the Dreambox receiver?

Last edited:
Primestar, I looked in your signature in your post and it says CS5000. Do you have a coolsat 5000? The BSC2621 has two outputs, one for C and the other Ku. If I installed separate C and Ku LNB's I would still have two RG6 wires I would need to put into a 2X1 port DisEqc switch or a 4X4 port multi-switch. Do I understand you correctly that the Coolsat 6000 settings for the DisEqc do not matter or weather I use the 2X1 port DisEqc switch or a 4X4 port multi-switch. Also, the ports on the 4X4 port multi-switches are listed as either H or V or 13v or 18v. Does it matter witch port I plug either the C or Ku band LNB into? Thanks again

P1130740.jpg P1130750.JPG

I don't (never had one) have a signature OR a Coolsat receiver, so I'm not sure what you are looking at. Yes, it matters which switch ports are hooked to H or V lnbs if you are using a multi-switch, Horizontal lnb's go to H (18v) and Vertical lnb's go to V (13v). It matters for a Diseqc switch in that you need to know which port numbers go to what lnb, so you can set your receiver correctly.

Sorry Primestar,

There is so much clutter and advertisements on this website I must have got confused because somewhere I thought i saw a CS5000 somewhere in you post. Anyways thanks for the information on the multi/DisEqc switch ports. My blind scan finally finished and it said it found 600 plus channels but the dish did not move and there were no working channels so I'm back to square one.

Vbox or Gbox. with it move the dish to each satellite.** Store position # in it. Program the receiver DISEQC 1.2 with corresponding position # for each satellite. Then the receiver can direct the V/G box to move the dish via Diseqc .
**use TheLIST to get active transponders to put in the receiver to find each satellite.
To Start: Suggest to make a direct connection to the C band output only.
Make it complicated later by adding a switch and connections to the Ku.
The BUD may be tuned up good enough for C band but Ku requires even more delicate tuning. Tuning up on C band allows some 'watching' while spending time really fine tuning for Ku. (I, and many others, prefer seperate 'band' dishes for many various reasons.)
Some suggested 'study' LNB LO Frequency - 101 & Switch setups simplified
[Pub members don't see the ads]

Last edited:
When I first set up my Bud I used a BSC 621 and later switched to a corotor and norsat lnbs. The disqec switch is built into the 621. As turbosat stated ocs-dp, legacy etc. pertains to dish network or bell expressvu systems and is not necessary for fta. Your lnb type should be set as standard. Lo frequency for C band 5150, for Ku band 10750. LNB 1 for C band satellites, LNB 2 for Ku band satellites (Its been a while so I may have those reversed). The motorized scan you are speaking of is a network scan (not blindscan) and is also only applicable to dishnet or bell satellites. Im told that the coolsat 6000 is capable of a very good blindscan (one sat at a time), but you have two problems. 1) the receiver does not have a dvbs2 tuner. 2) the firmware in the receiver is pirate firmware, hence the settings for dishpro lnbs and switches.

My advice would be to purchase a micro HD or similar (non pirate North American) STB, because there aren't that many DVBS signals left.

Last edited:
for the Coolsat 6000 this has to be set for each satellite

LNB Power: On

LNB Type: Single

LNB Freq: 5150 (for c band ), (for Ku 10750)

22HZ: off (c band) on (Ku) depending on the switch in the BSC621 for ku or c band

DiSEqC Switch = Off / None

Commited: 1,2,3 or 4 ( the setting above should grey these out not used when set to off or none)

Uncommitted: 1,2,3 or 4 (same as above)

Diseqc motor setting is 1.2 (using a c band actuator)

antenna position is your long & lat

I like the old coolsats 4k 5k 6k they are workhorses
there are several ways to store satellite positions to the receiver using the v-box ( easiest is to hook receiver & v-box up and go to each satellite) to make this easier before moving the dish go find a known transponder for each satellite and manually enter

Fat Air,

Thanks for the tips and my Craigslist satellite installer suggested the same thing and to start with C-band and later on add KU after fine tuning. I acutally have two Buds and was thinking about using one for C-band and the other for Ku-band. I have a V-Box 7 DiSEqC FTA Dish Positioner Controller hooked up and can move the dish with the remote/buttons on the V-box or from the motorized settings menu on the Coolsat 6000. Do I understand you correctly that I need to manually move the dish via the V-Box or the Move tab from the Coolsat dish mover menu to each satellite then save that Satellite Position and then do the same for each satellite?

Here is a snapshot of the Coolsat 6000 Dish mover menu settings:

VboxDishPositioner.jpg MotorizedSettingsJPG.JPG

The first setting is the Satellite tab and in the photo it is set to 95.0W Galaxy 3C/C. I bought this coolsat 6000 off ebay used so the previous user must have programmed the satellites into the receiver. I do not know if the satellite list in my coolsat 6000 is up to date or correct but another user gabshere said in another post he would try to find a satellite list to program to my box. I'm a computer guy by profession and was also provided with a serial cable to connect the receiver to the computer for programming and have already downloaded the coolsat 6000 flash tool.

In the DiSEqC Motor setting I can select USALS or 1.2. THe next setting is the Move tab where I can move the dish east or west. The problem I have is when I attempt to move the dish to any satellite (fine tuning) using the move tab I could not get the signal Quality meter to go above 10% to 12%. It is possible my craigslist installer aimed the dish wrong or I messed it up but when I reposition the dish to my sothern satellite (91.0 West) I still get only get 10 to 12% on the quality meter but when I do a blindscan it picks up transponders/channels with 90+ percent signal. Maybe the signal/Quality meter is bad on my Coolsat 6000? In the satelliteguys.us receiver download section there is a third party update firmware for the coolsat 6000 receiver. Maybe I will give this firmware a shot to see if it fixes my quality signal meter... Then If can move the dish via the V-box and then save the satellite position if I understand correctly. I'm also going to apply gabshere's recommended receiver settings and give that a shot.

Thanks, again..

Do I understand you correctly that I need to manually move the dish via the V-Box or the Move tab from the Coolsat dish mover menu to each satellite then save that Satellite Position and then do the same for each satellite?
Yes. You have to manually, with either the mover remote or the FTA box E-W commands(See below), find and store each and every satellite.
In the DiSEqC Motor setting I can select USALS or 1.2
The V or G boxes only understand Diseqc 1.2. USALS is for a Ku dish motor.
It is possible my craigslist installer aimed the dish wrong or I messed it up but when I reposition the dish to my sothern satellite (91.0 West) I still get only get 10 to 12% on the quality meter but when I do a blindscan it picks up transponders/channels with 90+ percent
Take notice of the transponder frequencies watched during finding satellites and tune up. Might be the transponder you're watching in tune up with the low "Q" is on an adjacent satellite? TheLIST lists transponders as DVB-S or DVB-S2. Use only DVB-S with that receiver.
In the satelliteguys.us receiver download section there is a third party update firmware for the coolsat 6000 receiver. Maybe I will give this firmware a shot to see if it fixes my quality signal meter.
Before loading new firmware, back-up what's in it, Just in case of a 'no go situation.
Assign a different 'position number' to each satellite as you find (and store them) Keep a written record so you don't overwrite one. (assign the same number twice)
I found it quicker and easier to NOT put the GBox in the coax line. Leave it 'stand alone' and use its buttons to locate satellites. (better accuracy also) Store position numbers. Write it all down. Then when all were found, program the position numbers in the satellite setup in the receiver. Then put it in the coax line and let the receiver run it.

Update,

I spent the last several days trying to flash the firmware on my Coolsat 6000. I tried everything from different computers, operating systems, different versions of the flash tool, different serial cables and it is a no go. For some unknown reason the flash tool will not communicate or find the receiever with the com port. I was able to clear the receiver nvram, channels list, and the database so at least I'm starting out fresh with whatever firmware the previous owner installed. At least I have most of the North america satellites and was able to connect to 50 west with a C-band LNB and got 95% signal quality. I removed the C/Ku BSC621 LNBF and now using a just a C-band LNB to simplify things and have learned quite a bit including how to set up the Receiver to use DisEQC 1.2 and save the satellite positions on my v-box. I think the declination on my 7.5ft black mesh dish is not set correctly and the reason for not being able to tune in more than 2 satellites. When I'm actually tuned into a satellite and getting good signal quality I also did a blindscan with my dreambox that is slaved to the Coolsat and pickup even more channels S /S-2. I think I will hook up my coolsat 6000 receiver to my 6ft sadoun dish to see if it is set up and aimed correcty and have my craigslist installer guy re-aim and calibrate my 7.5ft black mesh dish so I can use the actuator to move the dish to all satellites.

I think the 6000 needs a null cable,but I'm not 100% sure.I've got some boxes that use straight and some that use null,when one doesn't work I try the other.:D

Maybe it's my 8000 that needs the null.I don't know,it's been so long since I updated any of my old boxes I can't remember.I've got 3 5K's,one of which gets used just about every day.:D

FTA is usually, and enjoyed fully, when it's DIY.** Tune it up yourself. I've written up a page and put it one the web @ http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD Since it's already 'up' think you could skip ahead to ZENITH satellite[FONT=verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]**[/FONT]
why wait a day, or a week or more, 'til the repairman cometh to fix some minor problem when you can fix it yourself and enjoy (and save some bucks)? Should only require a few common hand tools. A 20 dollar wrench set and a Crescent wrench should do. BTW: If you were closer I could be that guy willing to take some green from ya.

FTA is usually, and enjoyed fully, when it's DIY.** Tune it up yourself. I've written up a page and put it one the web @ http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD Since it's already 'up' think you could skip ahead to ZENITH satellite[FONT=verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]**[/FONT]
why wait a day, or a week or more, 'til the repairman cometh to fix some minor problem when you can fix it yourself and enjoy (and save some bucks)? Should only require a few common hand tools. A 20 dollar wrench set and a Crescent wrench should do. BTW: If you were closer I could be that guy willing to take some green from ya.

Thanks FAT for doing this. I wish I had this a few years ago. I still need to constantly remind myself to keep my hands off adjusting the elevation after acquiring my zenith satellite. Nice job!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Very nice web site FaT Air!
Well organized and easy to understand terminology for the beginner.
I agree on the DIY FTA thing. The DSS providers are there for those who can not or don't have the time to set up their own system. That's why they cost the $$ as they do all the work for you. I think the OP will get his system going, will just require some time to learn and tinker until it all makes sense.

FatAir,

Both of my dishes are still aimed incorrectly as I can only now pick up 99.0 west Galaxy 16 C-band which comes in great (90+ quality signal) but my goal is to use my Receiver + v-box + actuator motor to move the dishes to all C and Ku-band satellite channels. My Coolsat 6000 has a good signal quality meter that I can bring outside to re-aim them to my absolute direct south satellite 93.1W GALAXY 25 (G-25).

I was reading another forum post that you posted (GeoSatFinder) by rangergord and think I understand now how to calculate my dish angle settings.

When my horizontal angle reads 90, I would subtract 90 from the reading.
My modified declination angle at my latitude 44.8N is 6.8
Dish 'look angle' at zenith is 90 - lat - declination.

90 - 44.8 - 6.8 = 38.4

Am I correct that both of my Buds ( 6ft Sadoun Fortec and 7.5ft black mesh) should be set at the angle of 38.4? My absolute direct south satellite is 93.1W GALAXY 25 (G-25). Do you know if there are any C-band feeds on it? I'm assuming I want to use my absolute direct south satellite and then I should be able to scan the satellite arc.

Here is a photo from the installation guide for my MOTECK-H180-Motor that is mounted on my 6ft Sadoun Fortec dish. The setting for the declination angle is 6.8 which is marked on the mount.

HH180MotorMountDeclanationAngle.jpg
The next photo is of my 7.5ft black mesh mount and it has some rust and the black paint is worn off and I cannot see any declination degree angle numbers.
Do you have any idea of the make/model of the mount and how to correctly set the declination?

BlackMeshDishMount.jpg

Thanks again....

The polar axis angle should be very close to your latitude in degrees from horizontal. Horizontal being 0 degrees. Straight up being 90.
Don't factor the declination angle unless measuring the dish angles.
Polar axis angle is latitude.
If your horizontal reading of the polar axis is 90 subtract latitude. 90- 44.8 = 44.2
attachment.php

After the initial settings for your zenith satellite you fine tune the angles to maximize reception on your zenith satellite. Step 2 is to adjust your azimuth. Without performing step 2 tracking the arc is a 'crap shoot'. You may get some, but would most likely miss most, especially at the ends closer to the horizon.
Step 2 Use the actuator and twist the dish mount on the pole(Azimuth) ONLY to peak readings on satellites away from Zenith.
Once done and reading are peaked on the last satellite at the end of the arc, you can begin programming locations in the mover and scanning satellites. http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD/4066/

To determine the (unknown) declination setting: Measure the polar axis angle (Latitude angle in the picture) Use the actuator to move the dish to it's highest point and measure the angle of the dish face. A straight edge vertical spanning the face is a good place to measure this. The difference is the declination.
RULES: NEVER adjust declination after you've 'set it' correctly.
NEVER adjust elevation (Latitude angle) unless you're aimed at Zenith.

Better performance, I.E. 'tracking accuracy' can be had by employing Modified declination settings. "Modified declination* for 44.8N should be 6.18 and the latitude angle (Polar axis) will be close to 45.66
"normal' declination angle is 6.8 (first chart @
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/decchartp.html )
*Second chart on the geo-orbit site. also at my page at http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD/8495/

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts