Help with DirecTV Dish Selection for Tailgating/RV Use

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AggieMike96

Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Houston, TX
I have read several threads and none have provided me a solution to my problem. I currently have the following set-up at home:

DVR - will stay put at the house.
HD Receiver H25-500 - Will be used for tailgating.
Dish on the house - SL3SNR3-01 - will stay put on the house.

I need a dish for tailgating that will pick-up HD (ESPN, etc.). Will SL3SNR2-01 work? I've found one of these on Craigslist. Which will work? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

I have read several threads and none have provided me a solution to my problem. I currently have the following set-up at home:

DVR - will stay put at the house.
HD Receiver H25-500 - Will be used for tailgating.
Dish on the house - SL3SNR3-01 - will stay put on the house.

I need a dish for tailgating that will pick-up HD (ESPN, etc.). Will SL3SNR2-01 work? I've found one of these on Craigslist. Which will work? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Since you are going to use your H25, your dish has to be a swm type, so make sure you get a swm lnb with the Slimline dish. Yes, the SL3SNR-01 will work just fine.

For my camping setup I use the smaller phase 3 dish, but you have to be good at aiming if you are going to go that route.

I use a slimline 3 swm LNB, with a power inserter right next to my receiver. Works fine and the dish is smaller and easier to put in my camper.

For a base I use a 2'x2' wood step essentially, something I built to help my kids reach the sink in the bathroom when they were younger, now it is a good heavy duty satellite base. Just screwed the regular 1 1/2" dish arm onto it.

I pickedup a phase 3 dish on craigslist for $10, you may even find them for free, or along the side of the road on trash day. Got the SL3S LNB off ebay for around $30 with the power inserter.

Am I going to be able to locate with this thing? I feel majorly overwhelmed by all this. I just want to tailgate and watch TV, preferably in HD but will make do with SD if need be. I do not have a locator device.

It takes a bit of patience, but I'm sure you can do it. Set it up first at your home, then take it tailgating. Unless you are a long way from where you will be using it, you probable won't have to adjust it when you get there.

Aggie, I would get the set up and set it up at home, then take it down and do it again, maybe 3-4 times till your comfortable with it.

Wind gust knocked over my Slimline 3 yesterday and could never reconnect. I have been using this dish for tailgating for 4 years without a hitch. When it fell it knocked the settings (elevation, skew, etc) off while bending the top part of the dish.

Should I get a new one or just order new LNB? I thought I got the settings correct but want to verify how to setup, as this portable dish was set up by the DirecTV guy when he installed my roof-mount system.

From now on I will secure the blasted stand to prevent windgusts.

Am I going to be able to locate with this thing? I feel majorly overwhelmed by all this. I just want to tailgate and watch TV, preferably in HD but will make do with SD if need be. I do not have a locator device.
Gotta toss my $.02 on this one. I have been tailgating with my RV for 8 yrs and the last five I've had D* (E* before that) and while HD is GREAT, to me it's just not worth it. I have a 32" flatscreen and my 18" oval dish is SO easy to align and carry around. I can literally be up in 3 mins. Granted it's not HD but hitting the 101 is so easy that I just don't see going through all the trouble. I do have one D12 at home that I use in the RV.:cool:

Gotta toss my $.02 on this one. I have been tailgating with my RV for 8 yrs and the last five I've had D* (E* before that) and while HD is GREAT, to me it's just not worth it. I have a 32" flatscreen and my 18" oval dish is SO easy to align and carry around. I can literally be up in 3 mins. Granted it's not HD but hitting the 101 is so easy that I just don't see going through all the trouble. I do have one D12 at home that I use in the RV.:cool:

HD, if you've done set ups like that for this long, your pretty good at it, I think you could probably set up a Slimline in just a few moore minutes and HAVE your HD.

Your still looking for the 101 Sat regardless !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)