Help with DirecTV Dish Selection for Tailgating/RV Use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AggieMike96

Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Houston, TX
I have read several threads and none have provided me a solution to my problem. I currently have the following set-up at home:

DVR - will stay put at the house.
HD Receiver H25-500 - Will be used for tailgating.
Dish on the house - SL3SNR3-01 - will stay put on the house.

I need a dish for tailgating that will pick-up HD (ESPN, etc.). Will SL3SNR2-01 work? I've found one of these on Craigslist. Which will work? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

I have read several threads and none have provided me a solution to my problem. I currently have the following set-up at home:

DVR - will stay put at the house.
HD Receiver H25-500 - Will be used for tailgating.
Dish on the house - SL3SNR3-01 - will stay put on the house.

I need a dish for tailgating that will pick-up HD (ESPN, etc.). Will SL3SNR2-01 work? I've found one of these on Craigslist. Which will work? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Since you are going to use your H25, your dish has to be a swm type, so make sure you get a swm lnb with the Slimline dish. Yes, the SL3SNR-01 will work just fine.

For my camping setup I use the smaller phase 3 dish, but you have to be good at aiming if you are going to go that route.

I use a slimline 3 swm LNB, with a power inserter right next to my receiver. Works fine and the dish is smaller and easier to put in my camper.

For a base I use a 2'x2' wood step essentially, something I built to help my kids reach the sink in the bathroom when they were younger, now it is a good heavy duty satellite base. Just screwed the regular 1 1/2" dish arm onto it.

I pickedup a phase 3 dish on craigslist for $10, you may even find them for free, or along the side of the road on trash day. Got the SL3S LNB off ebay for around $30 with the power inserter.

Am I going to be able to locate with this thing? I feel majorly overwhelmed by all this. I just want to tailgate and watch TV, preferably in HD but will make do with SD if need be. I do not have a locator device.

It takes a bit of patience, but I'm sure you can do it. Set it up first at your home, then take it tailgating. Unless you are a long way from where you will be using it, you probable won't have to adjust it when you get there.

Aggie, I would get the set up and set it up at home, then take it down and do it again, maybe 3-4 times till your comfortable with it.

Wind gust knocked over my Slimline 3 yesterday and could never reconnect. I have been using this dish for tailgating for 4 years without a hitch. When it fell it knocked the settings (elevation, skew, etc) off while bending the top part of the dish.

Should I get a new one or just order new LNB? I thought I got the settings correct but want to verify how to setup, as this portable dish was set up by the DirecTV guy when he installed my roof-mount system.

From now on I will secure the blasted stand to prevent windgusts.

Am I going to be able to locate with this thing? I feel majorly overwhelmed by all this. I just want to tailgate and watch TV, preferably in HD but will make do with SD if need be. I do not have a locator device.
Gotta toss my $.02 on this one. I have been tailgating with my RV for 8 yrs and the last five I've had D* (E* before that) and while HD is GREAT, to me it's just not worth it. I have a 32" flatscreen and my 18" oval dish is SO easy to align and carry around. I can literally be up in 3 mins. Granted it's not HD but hitting the 101 is so easy that I just don't see going through all the trouble. I do have one D12 at home that I use in the RV.:cool:

Gotta toss my $.02 on this one. I have been tailgating with my RV for 8 yrs and the last five I've had D* (E* before that) and while HD is GREAT, to me it's just not worth it. I have a 32" flatscreen and my 18" oval dish is SO easy to align and carry around. I can literally be up in 3 mins. Granted it's not HD but hitting the 101 is so easy that I just don't see going through all the trouble. I do have one D12 at home that I use in the RV.:cool:

HD, if you've done set ups like that for this long, your pretty good at it, I think you could probably set up a Slimline in just a few moore minutes and HAVE your HD.

Your still looking for the 101 Sat regardless !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)