Help with first c band install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bubbs16

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I am getting throttled over here. Been working with this for a week now and have literally got nothing still. I just don't get what I'm doing I guess. I think it's cause the instructions I'm using look nothing like my dish

Attachments

• IMG_20171028_171622.jpg
    IMG_20171028_171622.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20171028_171635.jpg
    IMG_20171028_171635.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20171028_171707.jpg
    IMG_20171028_171707.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 352
Read over those two manuals that the guys posted. Then if you still have issues come back we will be glad to help.
Next time though give us more information about what you have did so far. The more info the more we can help.
Have you got a clear LOS(Line of Site)?

What I have done was dig the hole, get the pole level and cemented in, waited 3 days to cure . Then put the dish together and up with a manual from Rainer or what er it is c band installation. The dish looks so much different though I was having a few issues with pictures and what not. Also, noticed that dish has different ways to adjust everything. It'd all in different spots then mine. So I was getting confused and fast.. Also spent a little while figuring out the cabling. There was 3 wires thst turn into 4. 2 are rg6 the other for motor I guess and the 4th I still don't know I guess it's a ground? Here I have a few pics. Also like in the manual my latitude is 39.7 so do I use 39 or 40 on the chart?? So I k ow what is what I traced it all the way to lnb. It's a single lnb even though there's 2 rg6 cables. When I got this dish all the cabling came with it. I didn't wire it. Clear line of site. Well that is gonna depend on whar sat I'm watching. I will have clear for some but not others in thinking.... Also I found out I need a extra box for my motor? I didn't know this till yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20171028_181253.jpg
    IMG_20171028_181253.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20171028_181421.jpg
    IMG_20171028_181421.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 279
The one with 2 larger wires in with the smaller wires is for the motor. The two larger are for the actual motor and two of the smaller in the same sheath are for the reed switch.
The other bundles of all small wires are for a polarotor if you choose to use one. If you are using just an LNBF then you will not need those wires.
Also note take the bare wire and use for ground, but only ground at the house or at the dish and not both.

What receiver and dish mover are you using?

You literally just spoke anotehr language to me there lol. What in the word is a polarotor? Do I have that? Ya there's the actuator cable then anotehr thing wired up in the lnb itself. Like another motor? I dint have a box for the motor yet I just found out about that. I have a new Fta receiver.won't say name here. But it doesn't have anywhere to wire any motor. So I need some kind of extra box??? Like the v box?? This stuff is 100x more complicated then I knew
The one with 2 larger wires in with the smaller wires is for the motor. The two larger are for the actual motor and two of the smaller in the same sheath are for the reed switch.
The other bundles of all small wires are for a polarotor if you choose to use one. If you are using just an LNBF then you will not need those wires.
Also note take the bare wire and use for ground, but only ground at the house or at the dish and not both.

What receiver and dish mover are you using?

Correct you will need smothing like a vbox. If you have the wires going to the LNB/Feedhorn that is the polarotor. To move that you will need a Titanium ASC1.
It does have a learning curve, but once you figure it all out you will be glad you did and enjoy it!!
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. :)
Lots of info on here so just search and read and read and read. Also, like I said don't be afraid to ask. We have all started out just like you at one point.
It truly is a fun hobby.

So what one is better? The actuator or the polarotor. What one do I want to use? I don't want to buy 2 extra boxes.

Correct you will need smothing like a vbox. If you have the wires going to the LNB/Feedhorn that is the polarotor. To move that you will need a Titanium ASC1.
It does have a learning curve, but once you figure it all out you will be glad you did and enjoy it!!
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. :)
Lots of info on here so just search and read and read and read. Also, like I said don't be afraid to ask. We have all started out just like you at one point.
It truly is a fun hobby.

Here's the lnb

Attachments

• IMG_20171028_100227.jpg
    IMG_20171028_100227.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 234
This may seem a little overwhelming at first, but you may want to look over this website and instructions.

C-Band Polar Mount Dish Installation Guide - TVROSat

Lots of good information in there. Don't give up, you'll get it. :) You have a lot of it done already. You can skip past the stuff that's done.
That's the guide I was using. I got the manual though from someone and it looks extremely close to mine. I think after watching some videos I have a better idea now, and looking at the manual for my dish. I still little list on all the focal point and all that. Also now I need to find something that can run My polarotor and motor..... Since I found out I have a Servo too. I found locally a Motorola 4dtv 922. She wants little money or says I might have it free she doesn't k ow yet. I need to know If this will run the actuator and polarotor both? Then how do I get that to my receiver though.

That's the guide I was using. I got the manual though from someone and it looks extremely close to mine. I think after watching some videos I have a better idea now, and looking at the manual for my dish. I still little list on all the focal point and all that. Also now I need to find something that can run My polarotor and motor..... Since I found out I have a Servo too. I found locally a Motorola 4dtv 922. She wants little money or says I might have it free she doesn't k ow yet. I need to know If this will run the actuator and polarotor both? Then how do I get that to my receiver though.

Here's an excellent choice, Titanium Satellite - Store It cost a few bucks, but if you program the orbital slots, like 101W, in the unit, it will go to the correct satellite as well as the channel and it will control the polarotor. It also controls the DiSEqC switches if you decide to use them.

At $180.00, it's a good value for what it does. The folks at Titanium are good people. I deal with them, and they won't steer you wrong. Just a suggestion. When I was moving my dish, I used a Uniden IRD to move the dish and it was a pain in the butt. Couldn't see what you were doing because the dish position was combined with the channel information on the screen. It didn't have a front panel display showing the dish position.

I finally installed enough dishes to leave one parked on all the satellites I was getting programming off of. I left one dish mobile so I could snoop around in order to see what's on other satellites. You can see most of my set-up in my profile picture.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Okay guys. I have been working with this thing for weeks now and I honestly think I'm worse then when I started. Seems the only say I can ever lock onto is 121 w and now I can't even do that..... I attached a bunch of pics. Where exactly do I measure declanation angle. As you can see I put the angle finder in like 8 spots would you guys tell me what picture is the right one. Every spot gives dramatically different angles. I know where to do the elevation I attached thst pic as well. That is easy. Also I found the guide on chaparral on where it says to point the long side of the servo motor to 11 o clock to the polar axis? This seems to have made things even worse. I can't find any thing. What in the world am I doing wrong. I didn't know you had to be a mad scientist to figure this out.

Attachments

• IMG-20171112-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0006.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG-20171112-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0005.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG-20171112-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0004.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG-20171112-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0003.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG-20171112-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG-20171112-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0000.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG-20171112-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG-20171112-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20171112-WA0007.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 237
Okay guys. I have been working with this thing for weeks now and I honestly think I'm worse then when I started. Seems the only say I can ever lock onto is 121 w and now I can't even do that..... I attached a bunch of pics. Where exactly do I measure declanation angle. As you can see I put the angle finder in like 8 spots would you guys tell me what picture is the right one. Every spot gives dramatically different angles. I know where to do the elevation I attached thst pic as well. That is easy. Also I found the guide on chaparral on where it says to point the long side of the servo motor to 11 o clock to the polar axis? This seems to have made things even worse. I can't find any thing. What in the world am I doing wrong. I didn't know you had to be a mad scientist to figure this out.
Besides putting that angle finder in all the wrong places, you have to have found your true NORTH!! Then and only then, use that angle finder!

Do not move your dish until you have set those angles!

Just wait, someone with better typing skills than me will explain it better than I can!

The TVROsat guide is well written, with detailed steps, but unfortunately many of those guides are lacking in explanations, a bit like cooking with a recipe book doesn't teach you how to cook.

I think it's important that you spend some time reading about the topic, until you get a clear understanding of the geometry involved in pointing a dish to a satellite, and an understanding of polar mounts.

The most important 3 things to understand are:
- the satellites are located above the equator
- the idea of a polar mount is to have the dish pivot on an axis that is parallel to the axis of rotation of the earth (the imaginary axis that goes through the south pole and the north pole)
- the declination is needed so that instead of "looking" outward in a line that is parallel to the equator, the dish has to look slightly down to actually see the satellites

This site has some valuable information: Explanation of satellite dish polar mount set-up and alignment

also this video (after the 5:28 mark) has a clear explanation of the various adjustments and what they are about.

Of course not all dish polar mounts are built the same exact way, but in the end, they all have these adjustments: north/south, elevation and declination. Once you understand what they mean, you will easily understand what it is that you're adjusting on your dish, and that's the key to getting it properly aligned.

Reactions: KE4EST
Yes I've watched that many times. And it looks like he has a nice bar going across to where he could measure declination angle. I dont have that on mine. I have read and read till I'm blue in the face. I don't know what I'm missing.

First, I would do is tell us where you live? Then we can do a google earth view of YOUR HOUSE, SO WE CAN DO A REMOTE SITE CHECK My first question to you is how did you pick the spot to dig the hole? Then we can go from that point, what you have is an older dish, and the cheapest way is to buy an older receiver so it won't give you any video, not anymore I like HTS sadly i'm going to take all my non working ones i used for part with remotes ETC and take them to the dump. The very old motor controls let you just push 2 buttons left or right one and it gave you 36 volts to drive what may be a JGS- 1 you have there

You're trying to run a race, before you learned how to walk, but relax, and you will be running, you sound like my first day putting up my first dish in 1981 LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)