Help with locals/eastern arc question

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I tried to search but couldn't find the exact answer.

Just switched from Directv to Dish. Installer came today while I was at work and talked to my wife. He said that he would hook it up now, but in a year or so we would lose our locals, because we don't have a clear view of the southeast sky from anywhere on our property (tall trees). But he said we could use an antennae. It was something with the locals going to the eastern arc, and we can't see that (not sure if that makes sense).

So my question is whether I will lose ALL network access, or just my home market (Appleton/Green Bay, WI). Can I get another markets locals? I don't really care which market it is, we don't watch the news.

I am originally from Chicago, and in the past an installer told me (off the record he said) to wait a week after the install, then call Dish and give them a Chicago address and say you moved your equipment yourself. Then you'd get Chicago locals. It worked fine. Can I still do that?

I'm a little miffed that they would install the dish knowing I'll lose locals before my contract is up. If there is a workaround, then fine. But it's particularly annoying because they disconnected all my directv stuff so I'll have to have them come out to fix it if this doesn't work.

There may be technical info you need to answer this question. If so let me know and I'll do my best to get it.

Yes, you can still "move" your service address like that, but you won't get other locals outside of the spotbeam for your area. Green Bay HD locals are exclusively on Eastern Arc. I take it from the above that you have only SD receivers and service? Green Bay SD locals are exclusively on Western Arc. I am looking here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Green Bay, WI

Edited to add that it looks to me like you're outside the WA spotbeam for Chicago. Edited further to add that Chicago locals will probably work at your location after all.

Last edited:
Yes, you can still "move" your service address like that, but you won't get other locals outside of the spotbeam for your area. Green Bay HD locals are exclusively on Eastern Arc. I take it from the above that you have only SD receivers and service? Green Bay SD locals are exclusively on Western Arc. I am looking here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Green Bay, WI

Edited to add that it looks to me like you're outside the WA spotbeam for Chicago. :(

All our TVs are HD, wouldn't really want SD receivers. The installer said we have satellites 110, 119, and 129, if that helps. Chicago locals would be great if we "moved", but not essential. But not having any HD network channels would be a deal breaker. Are there other areas that we'd be in the spot beam of that we could access HD locals?

What about installing an OTA. Can pick one up cheap and then you get all the locals and sub channels in your area(usually even when the sat goes out)

Reactions: TheKrell
All our TVs are HD, wouldn't really want SD receivers. The installer said we have satellites 110, 119, and 129, if that helps. Chicago locals would be great if we "moved", but not essential. But not having any HD network channels would be a deal breaker. Are there other areas that we'd be in the spot beam of that we could access HD locals?

Yup; those satellites are called "Western Arc", and Dish has something that Direct doesn't: Eastern Arc. ;) So... If you have only Western Arc, according to my link above, you must be getting Green Bay SD locals only via satellite. Is that true? If that is true, then your deal is already broken.

I don't know what we get yet, the installer is still here working...
I couldn't find the Chicago spot beam map, but the other spot beam maps I looked at looked huge--you sure it wouldn't reach up here?

And if Chicago doesn't work, I'm almost certain that Wausa or LaCross locals will. Just rechecked the Chicago spotbeam from 129 and I must have been confusing my lakes. :( I agree with Nelson; I think Chicago will do it for you.

I doubt Dish will change your locals. I was in the same boat a while back but not because of trees because the installer didn't have a EA LNB and we had to endure SD until my contract was up. If I had an issue with trees you can bet I would be getting the chainsaw. I love how cstmrs will want the world and not want to loose one tree. Or make the tech bury 200 ft of cable. Facilitate a little for the Techs and you will be amazed on how much happier you will be with your service :)

I doubt Dish will change your locals. I was in the same boat a while back but not because of trees because the installer didn't have a EA LNB and we had to endure SD until my contract was up. If I had an issue with trees you can bet I would be getting the chainsaw. I love how cstmrs will want the world and not want to loose one tree. Or make the tech bury 200 ft of cable. Facilitate a little for the Techs and you will be amazed on how much happier you will be with your service :)

Are you serious? Cut down the trees on my wooded lot so I can watch more TV?
"I love how customers want the world..." Hey do me a favor and get off your high horse you sanctimonious jerk.

Well...... I told the tree trimmers back when I first got DISH here is where the satellites are - keep cutting till I have a line of site. Cable was THAT bad.

So installer left, we only have SD locals. :(
So is the only solution to "move"?

Sounds like it. If you really do have regrets now with no local HD - I would at least call DISH (Get passed the CSR) and tell them you did not consent to no HD locals and the install should not have taken place. Unless of course you signed off when the installer left.

If you want to keep DISH, and don't mind not having your actual locals (or can get them with an antenna) then "Move" and get your HD networks.

Listen to Tampa. Just "move" to an address in Chicago. How this is going to look to a CSR on the same day of install, I don't know! Wait 'til tomorrow?

I'm having the same issue except I don't own the land where the trees are. Installer said that the only way was to move the dish out to the middle of our yard on a pole. Wife said no. You guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)