Help with Network receiver swap.

Robedom

Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
California
Hello,

I recently wanted to switch Primary and Secondary TV's. TV1 is in my bedroom and TV2 is in my living room. Due to recent room renovations, I wanted to move the Dish Network cable box from the bedroom to the living room, thus changing the bedroom TV from the primary to the secondary TV. After this change, I am no longer acquiring signal on either Television. Any ideas on to what I may have done wrong? Thanks in advance.

On the origional install how does the receiver feed TV2?

Is it a staright cable, or is there a diplexer that back feeds TV2? If your not sure what im asking, in the location where the receiver was located origionally, how many coax cables come from the wall? 1, 2 or 3?

If its a single cable, its a 5 minute fix with reversing the diplexer in your basement or utility room. If its 2 cables, then you will need 2 Diplexers and a few short pieces of coax.

If you got 3 cables, then plan on spending a few hours re-routing cables or upgrading switches or parts.

Let me know how many cables you got and I can tell you what you need to do...

Their are a few ways TV2 could of been hooked up, direct or backfeed up one of the satellite down feed lines using a pair of diplexers. This diagram might help you figure things out. Best thing is to diagram what you have and make sure you have the separator and diplexer and power inserter hooked up right.
Imageshack - dishdiagrambz5.png

The separator combines 2 bands of 950 – 1450 MHz and 1650 – 2150 MHz and send down single coax.

The diplexer filters VHF/UHF on one output port and 950 -2150 MHz on the other

if the house was prewired for cable it probably wherever the cable enters the house, either outside or in the bsmnt, possibly the attic, garage, or even at the dish itself

follow the lines coming from the dish and you should find it

you can try rebooting the rec and running a checkswitch to see if that clears it up

if not the diplxer may have gone bad, they dont like to be hooked up backwards for too long

or there may be a splitter or bad connector in the line to the liv rm

i am having this exact problem. when dish came out and installed my new hd dish i had not completed my renovation, but when i completed it, i changed over the cables like the dish guy told me and it is still not getting a signal. it is just stuck in progress 0 out of 5. it is looking for a signal but not finding one. any help would be great. and when i do the switch test. it says i will lose channels so i didnt save it. thanks for your time.