Help with old KTI 10' dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, I recently took down an old KTI 10' dish and have a couple questions for the group. I probably should have checked this before I took it down, but the dish mount won't rotate about the pole. It's completely frozen in place. I'm referring to the center ring that hold the petals being stuck. Should I be able to move that by hand? Maybe a little WD40 will help.

Do you have any suggestions for fitting mesh pieces back into their slots. I have a few loose mesh pieces and one mesh piece that's cut, with a small hole. I can post pictures if that will help.

I appreciate any pointers,
Alan Rovner, K7AR
Vancouver, Wash.

Use PB Blaster instead of WD 40.I'm not sure exactly where it is frozen.More details please?

For the loose mesh: Remove the clips that hold them in and save for re-use.Slide mesh toward the outside of the dish,it will come out of the slots.Lay mesh on something flat.Gently roll them with something like a rolling pin or pipe.Insert them back into the slots by starting them at the wide end and carefully pushing them towards the center of the dish.It takes patience on a KTI....four hands are better than two.Replace the clips.A dab of silicone every so often helps hold the mesh in the slots. Any smaller tears can be sewn up with a small gauge metal wire without hurting reception.

If PB Blaster does not work, BTW if you are WD-40 fan they have a formula now that is just like PB Blaster. I think they sell like 4 different "flavors" now.
.....anyway if that does not work, you may have to heat it up carefully with a torch.

Are you talking about these bolts that pivot on the dish?
uploadfromtaptalk1456624268151.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456624291225.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Let me see if I can describe the issue better. There's the collar that fits over the mounting pole. Then the large center frame pivots around the collar. That's what stuck. I should have checked that before taking the dish home. Does that help?

Alan

My Unimesh was completely seized when I got it last September. It was so bad that I had a hard time figuring out which were supposed to be the moving parts. I found a bunch of recommendations for making penetrating oil with 1/2 ATF transmission fluid and 1/2 acetone. It works amazing. Things that I thought would take days to free up took just an hour or 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)