Openbox Help with Openbox S 10 hook up to TV (no Picture)

JeremielMontanez

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Sandy Creek Ranch, Fl
icon5.png
I have an Openbox S 10 that I bought a few months ago that I am trying to set up. I have read the manual (which is written in a way that is very confusing) and I have been looking through the posts on this forum and others for help in trying to make it work. So far I have not been able to get it to so much as give me any kind of a picture on the TV screen. It will start when I turn on the power, and apparently it goes through the boot up process as indicated by the display on the box, but nothing shows up on my TV screen, not even a menu for setup or anything else. I do not have this hooked up to a dish yet, but I should think that the menu would display even though it is not hooked up to a dish. Can anyone give me some insight as to what may be wrong?
Thanks

Is this a new unit or used?
Which video connection are you using, is it HDMI, component, or composite?
Have you tried them all?

I bought it new several months ago, but am just now getting around to trying to set it up. I have only tried to hook it up to my old analog TV via CVBS RCA cable. I'm not sure I know how to set my digital TV up to work with HDMI. I don't understand about the component, or composite?

I bought it new several months ago, but am just now getting around to trying to set it up. I have only tried to hook it up to my old analog TV via CVBS RCA cable. I'm not sure I know how to set my digital TV up to work with HDMI. I don't understand about the component, or composite?

Your old analog TV probably does not have HDMI or component connections.
So you are using the Red, White and Yellow RCA connections?

Press the VFORMAT button on the remote, wait 5 seconds. If video does not appear, press the VFORMAT button again, wait 5 seconds. If video does not appear, repeat....

Yes! that is what I am trying to use. The Red White and yellow RCA connections.? I also dug up an old HDMI cable I still had from when I had from when I had a subscription to Direct TV and tried hooking it up to my digital TV with that. I still get no picture that way either. I'm not sure I was able to reprogram the digital receiver to work with HDMI though.

Yes! that is what I am trying to use. The Red White and yellow RCA connections.? I also dug up an old HDMI cable I still had from when I had from when I had a subscription to Direct TV and tried hooking it up to my digital TV with that. I still get no picture that way either. I'm not sure I was able to reprogram the digital receiver to work with HDMI though.

Did you try?
"Press the VFORMAT button on the remote, wait 5 seconds. If video does not appear, press the VFORMAT button again, wait 5 seconds. If video does not appear, repeat....
as was recommended by Satellite AV?

I am getting confused. Right now I am hooked up to the digital TV through the HDMI cable. But it is still getting the over the air channels. Do you mean I should switch back to the red white yellow RCA then do the VFORMAT thing? I am going to try both and see what happens.

OK guys Thank you very, very, very, much. I got it! There was nothing wrong with the Openbox. It was the TV. You have to set the TV to the right input. But anyway I got it working only because you all helped. I would not have checked and put the TV where I have now, on the composite setting on the TV. I wonder if I can get it to work once I hook it up to the dish. I will probably be back on here begging for help again. LOL! I hope I don't get on everyones nerves. I have one more question. Is it necessary to upgrade flash the firmware now? If so is there an up to date one that I can download here?

I am getting confused. Right now I am hooked up to the digital TV through the HDMI cable. But it is still getting the over the air channels. Do you mean I should switch back to the red white yellow RCA then do the VFORMAT thing? I am going to try both and see what happens.

If you are getting over OTA then you have not selected the proper input for the S10. On your TV remote there is a Video button or an Input button so that you can select the HDMI input from the S10.
Once you have selected the proper input then try the VFormat button on the S10 remote if still no video..

...Is it necessary to upgrade flash the firmware now? If so is there an up to date one that I can download here?

I don't know if there is any S10 firmware available for download here on the site but I wouldn't worry about trying to update yours. Go ahead and get it working with your dish with whatever firmware is in it now.

And don't worry about asking questions either, you'll get all the help you need here.

Thanks everyone! Yes it was the button on the TVs remote that needed to be adjusted. I even got it working through the HDMI now, much better picture. And, with the TVs remote I can select for either Free to air antenna, and get my of the air channels, 13 of them all free! or select the Satellite Through HDMI. I only get the menu right now but I'm going to hook it up to the dish tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)