help with optical audio connection--no volume

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

izzy2006

Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
First time ever for me to use a chat room, but what the heck, hey? I need some advice for my new tv. It is a samsung dlp tv and I just put an optical audio connector from the cable box to the tv and I am pretty sure I did it right but cannot hear a thing... obviously something I did was wrong. But I did read that you should turn down the tv volume and use the cable box to adjust volume. This is not working either. I really don't know what I can do. Someone suggested that the cable box or tv was not registering this connection but I've looked through all of the menu options on both remotes and nothing covers this???? Help please!

what are you using as a video connection between the cable box and TV? I am assuming HDMI, DVI, or Component (red,green,blue cable), the 3 types of HiDef connections.

If you are using HDMI, you shouldn't need any other audio connection. It carries both audio and video. If you are using DVI or Component, make sure you are connecting the optical audio cable to the same input as the video. On some devices, you have to assign the optical audi to the specific input. That may be the case here.

On your TV remote, press "Menu", and look trough the on-screen choices for "audio", or "settings" then "audio". There may b a "digital audio assign" somewhere there.

BTW, unless the TV hs some sort of great internal sound system, using the digital optical output from the cable box is a waste. Yo should connect it from thecable box to a dolby digital home theater audio system instead.

Forget the Optical cable, use a HDMI cable. It is the only way to carry a digital signal to the TV, anything else is an analog single. There is D-DVI, but you may not even have a D-DVI port on your TV.

Forget sound via the TV's tiny crap speakers. Use your EIAJ optical (TOSLINK) and feed a quality H/T rated A/V unit for true multi-channel sound. Or even the HDMI to the same setup.

Forget the Optical cable, use a HDMI cable. It is the only way to carry a digital signal to the TV, anything else is an analog single. There is D-DVI, but you may not even have a D-DVI port on your TV.
Wrong. If the TV has an optical audio input, it is digital. Period. There is no such thing as an analog optical signal.

As for DVI, any DVI input one is likely to find on an HDTV is also digital, not analog. Of course, he the original poster was asking about audio, and DVI is video-only.

But, as gdarwin points out, the reason the poster is having a problem is that the optical port is an output, not an input. That makes sense, as a TV's sound system is not good enough to take advantage of an optical audio input. OTOH, you can output the digital audio from the TV's digital tuner to an external sound system.

At the risk of it sounding like a personal attack, you really should research a little more before answering some of these posts. I've already pointed out a bunch of errors in them. And, that's just the few times I've run into your posts. Odds are there are a lot more floating out there based on the high percentage of incorrect data in those few.

Wrong. If the TV has an optical audio input, it is digital. Period. There is no such thing as an analog optical signal.

As for DVI, any DVI input one is likely to find on an HDTV is also digital, not analog. Of course, he the original poster was asking about audio, and DVI is video-only.

But, as gdarwin points out, the reason the poster is having a problem is that the optical port is an output, not an input. That makes sense, as a TV's sound system is not good enough to take advantage of an optical audio input. OTOH, you can output the digital audio from the TV's digital tuner to an external sound system.

At the risk of it sounding like a personal attack, you really should research a little more before answering some of these posts. I've already pointed out a bunch of errors in them. And, that's just the few times I've run into your posts. Odds are there are a lot more floating out there based on the high percentage of incorrect data in those few.

You are correct about the optic being digital audio, but IMO, HDMI is the best way to get digital video and audio between components, and that is what I meant. I should have been more clear, sorry.
HDMI contains both digital video and digital audio, DVI does not . Everything I said was true, I just left out the word VIDEO, you assumed that I meant audio signal. If the poster was going to use tos-link, then he would most likly use component video or a DVI cable. My position is to use one HDMI cable.

You must have fun looking for other peoples mistakes. Perhaps you should consider that someone failed to convey their thoughts clearly rather than jumping to the conclusion they do not know what they are talking about. I think my 26 years of installing satellite, home theater, and commercial SMATV give me a pretty solid foundation to comment on these issues. I apologize if my post are not to your exacting standards of clarity. For you, I will try to do better.

AND

You must have fun looking for other peoples mistakes. Perhaps you should consider that someone failed to convey their thoughts clearly rather than jumping to the conclusion they do not know what they are talking about.

Maybe you should have just admitted you were wrong. Because you obviously were. You said it is the only way to carry a digital signal anything else is analog. It is OK, we are all wrong somtimes, but to come back and say that you were just not clear is not true.

Geee. I failed to say "It is the only way to carry digital VIDEO and Audio signal to the TV" (Which is true), I admitted I made that mistake, and that is still not good enough??

At least I try to help rather than degrade. Surprising conduct from founders and supporters.

did you look on your tvs remote for a digital in button? tvs sterio isnt that great i put my fiber optic audio from my 5.1 receiver to my cable box and then set receiver to digital audio so it will go to pro logic II if it isnt brodcast in 5.1

Some televisions have both an optical audio input and output.
My 50 " LG Plazma has An HDMI input but it also has 2 component inputs.
Component 1 video input has analog audio input with it , but component 2 video input has an optical audio input . There is also a common optical audio output from the tv . I run component cables along with an optical audio cable out of my Dish 622 receiver and to my Plasma component 2 ( and optical audio in ). Then I have an optical cable out from the plasma to my Sony Home Theatre System.
When I have the Home Theatre System on I mute the TV speakers and have fabulous sound. If the Home Theatre System is not turned on I can still get surprisingly good sound just from the tv sound system. The digital audio input does make quite a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)