Help with Poormans Superdish

retiredTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Missouri
I thought I'd play today. I've been searching through old threads and found out "most" everything I needed. I have some old primestar dishes and lnbs(H/V out). So I set one up and got 121 tuned in. (after some searching) After "teaking" everything I'm getting great signal.
The question I have is this.
Since these old primestar lnbs are serperate H/V outputs, what do I need to hook them up with my current 721/ sw64 61.5/110/119?
I think I know how to connect sw21 with sw64 and 121 if the primestar lnb was a single out.
But is there a way to get both H/V with the older seperate H/V output lnbs? What part would I need? (cheapest way please)
OR, will the 721 switch test be ok, if I use only H or V?
And since the 721 requires both tuners (AFAIK) to have equal inputs, I guess I will use 2 of my old primestar setups, unless there's cheap way to get a second tuner output.
I keep saying cheap because, well, I am poor :) , and I am playing.
Mainly I'm trying get KBSWD 9850 on 121 tranponder 15.
Calling Any experienced Dr Franksteins. ;)

Without anything you can only get the odd transponders which run on 13 volts. I believe an RCA switch will allow one tuner to receive even and odd transponders by hooking up one port on the Primestar lnbf to satellite 1 and another port on the Primestar lnbf to satellite 2.

I am wondering myself if an sw-42 switch would work on getting both even and odd transponders off of 105/121 and if I can connect it to more than one receiver.

Here's what happened for me with the old seperate H / V primestar lnb that I tuned in with my old 2800. When I first tried to get 121 I got very low signal, max level of 38-40 on few tranpondsers which if I manually moved the coax from H to V and V to H changed very little. However, I then loosened the "skew {antenna}" adjustment screws and changed the polarization alignment of the antenna. And WOW, signal jumped to 115+. The lnb antenna is aligned now. H gets great signal on odd transpondsers and V gets great signal on even transponers(or vise/versa I forget). So now when I manually switch the wires from H to V , and V to H ,I get all the transponers. The problem is the switching. What part do I need to get to do the switching? Or can I get by with just H or V and the 721's switch check will ignore the error and allow my system to work? Of course I would prefer to have all the transponders.
And as I said with 721, I need 2 same outputs. Which I "can" dupilicate with another old primestar but "my yard will be full". :)
Anyway,I'm just seeing if anyone has tried this with seperate H/V primestar lnbs and a 721 setup on sw64 (4 sat).

I think that if you use the H/V into the SW64 3A+3B it should work. Then power the switch through input 1 cascade the 2 721 leads through 2 sw21 into input ports 2,3or 4. I have done this when Dish used the TRIBEAM set up for locals.

There is an adjustment with some small bolts for the skew on the primestar lnbf. This will affect the signal strength. I had forgotten all about that. Been a while since I messed with the Primestar dish to get the locals. That's how I got them the first day they came out.

Update : after some more searching I found a suggestion I overlooked.
since the sw64 is already essentially setup for H/V, then I going run the H/V of 121 into the sw64 and then cascade 61.5 with sw21's.
This should solve my quest. And allow me to use only one primestar dish/lnb in the process for my 721. The only possible snag could be if the 721 doesn't like cascading a sw64 with a sw21. (In the past 721's balked on twin/duel/sw21 cascades after a change software) As soon I get some more RG6 I 'm going try it.

PS I think this is what you were suggesting "mikethedishguy" also?

Last edited:
Final update: (for 721)
Well I am now the "proud owner" of a working "poorman's superdish".
Some advise, tune your "poormans superdish" outside where you can see the slightess signal. (my lnb was way off polarity to start)
Your odd/even H/V may be different than mine.
H/V may be reversed for you since I did adjust the antenna skew a fair amount.
Here's my setup:
Primestar dish/ Primestar seperate H/V output LNB {121}
Dish 500/ two/legacy duels {119 & 110}
Dish 300/one legacy duel {61.5}
SW64 / two SW21
PVR721

I ran the 121 primstar lnb into the SW64
I used H {even} into SW64 (3B) and V {odd} into SW64 (3A).
119 / legacy duel TO SW64(1A & 1B)
110 / legacy duel TO SW64(2A & 2B)
61.5 / legacy duel TO SW21 (dish 2) with SW64 output {3} SW21(dish 1) tuner1
61.5 / legacy duel TO SW21 (dish 2) with SW64 output {4} SW21(dish 1) tuner2
I avoided using SW64 ouput 1 with SW21 just because that's where the power inserter is. But if you choose to use output 1 with your SW21, don't place SW21 between the power inserter and SW64.
Also when you do your switch check, be sure and choose superdish from menu, or the 721 won't test your setup properly. Of course make sure you have your "poormans superdish odd/evens correct for your SW64, if get no signal, reverse them.
When finish your switch check with setup you should get a switch type SW21 4-SAT with 119/110/121/61.5
Now, you should be able to subtitute other birds with good results.
Also, if the 721 balks at your switch check, you can try "clearing matrix" (that is testing with nothing connected to your tuners & then reconnect and test again).
Also, a reboot can do "wonders" for a "variety" of miscues on a 721.
So all you poor ol' Dr Freakin-steins, have fun out there. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts