Help with setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
sg2100, coolsat 4000 pro, winegard 76cm.
Problem: can't see any satellite but telstar 5. I get 90% level and 77% quality on it. The mast seems to be plumb but I had very hard time pointing to true south and to start from a home satellite which should nimiq2 on 82W or brasilsat on 84W. I am on 83W. After I gave up searching for a signal from the above two and used receiver's remote to move motor to approximate telstar 5 location and bingo - all green. How can that be if I didn't do something right?
Second question is, how can I use USALS function on collsat? I can't find receiver's manual anywhere, I guess my bird ate it.

Did you leave the motor and dish assembly pointed at TS when you moved to T5? If so you may be able to track the arc. To use USALS Go to "Main Menu" and select "Motorized Settings". You'll see the screen I have attached. Select the satellite and LNB type and turn power on. Also make sure to select a "live" transponder. Enter your "Antenna Position" (lon and lat) if you have not done so. After you exit and save it will take you to the sat. If you are on the bird you should see a good signal. You can go back in and use "1.2" to nudge if needed. If nothing is working you are probably still not tracking the arc correctly.

Attachments

• cap003-after.jpg
    cap003-after.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 173
I don't know if I ever had the dish pointing to TS because I never found nimiq2 on 82 or brasilsat on 84. Now I've learned that there is AMC9 on 83 something which should be my home satellite but that satellite is not on the built in satellite list. Is there a way to add new satellite to the list?
I already tried to use USALS starting with telstar5 and couldn't find anyhing else.

You are right, AMC 9 would be your TS-you should probably re-aim for that. To add a satellite, first go into "Dish Setting" from the main menu. Use the left arrow key to move until a blank spot appears. Set your LNB type and power. Now hit the red button on your remote and rename it to AMC 9. Save and exit to the main menu. Now go into "Motorized Setting" and change "Sat Degree" to 83 W and "Diseqc Motor" to USALS. exit to the main menu. Now hit "Manual Scan" and then hit the green button to make a new transponder. For the frequency try 12020V SR 30000. It is encrypted but should give a signal you can tune to.

Brazilsat is C-Band only, you won't pick up anything at all there.

Nimiq 2 is DBS, you would use a circular LNB to pick that up.

AMC-9 at 83w should be used. But be careful, some receivers list it at 85w, which is its old location.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
You are right, AMC 9 would be your TS-you should probably re-aim for that. To add a satellite, first go into "Dish Setting" from the main menu. Use the left arrow key to move until a blank spot appears. Set your LNB type and power. Now hit the red button on your remote and rename it to AMC 9. Save and exit to the main menu. Now go into "Motorized Setting" and change "Sat Degree" to 83 W and "Diseqc Motor" to USALS. exit to the main menu. Now hit "Manual Scan" and then hit the green button to make a new transponder. For the frequency try 12020V SR 30000. It is encrypted but should give a signal you can tune to.

I did everything exactly like the above and I now can see green signal on 83W. Level is on 93 and quality on 72%. I ran automatic scan and I got 4 scrambled channels: AETV, test, test 2, and test 3.

If those 4 channels are from amc 9, can I assume that my dish/motor installation is OK (I can see telstar 5 too)?
I also tried to find more satellites but the only one I could find is echostar 9 on 121.
With dish pointed to 121 W I can see good signal from echostar 7 119W, echostar 6,8 on 110, and anik 107.3 W?! How is that possible? I thought they have different frequencies or something.

Now when I see amc9, telstar5, and echostar9, can I assume that I am tracking the arc correctly?
If so, how come I don't see amc1, amc4, anik F1...? Should I change frequencies?
How can I find frequncies from live transponders on lyngsat?
Sorry if I ask too meny questions but I am new in FTA.

Best to ask here for a LIVE/TP. as and when you are pointing the dish. There is usually someone around to confirm a hot TP on any satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.