Status
Please reply by conversation.

indyscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

Have a few questions. I am trying to read these threads and do not understand how using my computer can get FTA signals, HDTV, 4:2:2 and such. What is this PCI card that is mentioned often? I am assuming I still would need my 4dtv and traxis receiver?? How would I hook this up to the computer to do what it does? If anyone could answer these questions or at least direct me to a place that could spell it out step by step, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

PCI cards are like a receiver but they go in your computer. You would use this in addition to the 4DTV and the Traxis.

Pros of PCI cards-can do 4:2:2 and HD (most boxes cannot do HD and only a couple can do 4:2:2)
-can use it as a PVR to record stuff

Cons are
-usually no blind scan
-need a fast computer for HD & 4:2:2

There are PCI cards called DVB S
That's: Digital Video Broadcast - Satellite
... as opposed to DVB C for cable, or DVB T for terrestrial .
There are three or four very common brands, each with several models.

The card fits in your computer and you run a coax cable from your LNB or switch to the card.
Given the proper software, you can do almost anything you can imagine.
However, blindscanning is not supported on any -current- cards, so far as I know.
Encrypted reception is not supported, so even though you may see some PCI cards with smart-card slots (or other kinds), in North America, there is no commercial support by any of the providers to use those slots. *
Likewise, you cannot receive 4DTV on such DVB S cards.

For many users , programs like DVBdream (free), or MyTheatre (low cost pay-ware), provide all the features they need.
There are also a handfull of other free software titles available, but try these before moving on.
Some plug-ins are offered to extend the features, adding USALS support, if the base program doesn't include it.

To select a card, you might want to review the above two software packages.
If either looks appealing, then get a card that is supported by that package.

From your other posts, you seem to have a handle on satellite TV, so if you are also comfortable with computers, you might consider a DVB S card.
However, setup and satisfactory operation is nothing like turning on an FTA receiver, and having it just work.

* Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell Express Vu, StarChoice, GlobeCast.

OK..thanks for your answers, I think I understand this....well slightly anyway.

This PCI card, do I get it from one of the 2 places listed in the message or do I go to a computer shop to get it? Is the computer places going to understand what I want, how to install it and why I want it?

What has been you guys success with trying this method of getting 4-2-2 and HD signals using this method?

OK..thanks for your answers, I think I understand this....well slightly anyway.

This PCI card, do I get it from one of the 2 places listed in the message or do I go to a computer shop to get it? Is the computer places going to understand what I want, how to install it and why I want it?

What has been you guys success with trying this method of getting 4-2-2 and HD signals using this method?

I think most of us get our satellite equipment (including DVB-S PCI cards) from the internet. I would suggest you check with our sponsors (see adverts on top of this page) for a place to purchase one :D 99.9% of your standard electronics shops won't have a clue what you're talking about if you ask for a satellite PCI card. They may have a DVB-T card for antenna over-the-air stuff, but I've never seen a DVB-S stocked and sold locally.

My Twinhan 102g gets 4-2-2 and HD signals just fine. Just be aware that there's essentially no blind scanning to be had in PCI cards, and you'll need a newer computer to smoothly decode HD. I used MyTheatre as viewing software, with some Cyberlink DVD software I had laying around for a fast HD decoder (codec).

Ok...lets see if I got this. 2 steps, find a DVB-S PCI card from one of the advertisements above or on here install that..then go to My theater to get the final piece and then I can view 4-2-2 and HD on my computer?

Would I be able to get that picture back to my TV or would the computer screen be my only option?

Is this something easy enough I could do it or do I need to hire help to do it? Please remember every step of this has been a struggle since the day I bought my equipment from the dealer that no longer can be found.

Oh and going this route, about how much money will I tie up in this project?

Thank you for everything.

One more follow up...Do any of the dealer that advertise above participate quite a bit in FTA discussions? I would like to give them first shot because they probably have tried to answer questions for me before. Thanks

I use a Twinhan 1020A card and a Nexus-S card to record my satellite TV shows for latter viewing. I have not yet ventured into the HD or 4-2-2 viewing as what I want is in standard definition anyways. With a DVB-S card there are a LOT of settings that if not set correctly, you will not get a signal or picture. However, starting out with a DVB set top box, you then do know that you are correctly pointed at the satellite. The DVB boxes are great for tuning and peaking your dish to to get the maximum quality. It is all but impossible to do this with a DVB-S card. (at least my experiances) So starting with a good signal you have the first step completed. I use MyTheatre, and it is a great piece of software, but indeed is not user friendly for the novice trying to setup. However, it is a hobby for me and I enjoy it as many others here do as well. I haved learnt a lot in setting it up. I followed a few of the guides and how-to's and did get a picture after many hours of work. The MyTheatre forums are good for help as well if you choose to try it out. What I like about this type of setup is the ease to have timers turn on the computer, record my weekly shows and turn off the computer. It has taken me a few years of using the software to get it to where I am now, but the benifits of using the DVB-S card were a great advantage for me. I now archive my old TV shows on hard drives or burn them to DVD's. I also have a DVICO Fusion USB box for my digital TV reception and it too works with MyTheatre for recording. I do not have the computer connected to the TV, but vies the shows on the computer or play the mpeg video files in a DVD player that plays mpeg files. (the Phillips player is great for this use) Others that I know do have their PC connected to their TV by use of a DVI cable and have great results. Someday I may try connecting it up when I get a HDTV next to my computer, but for now this is the ideal setup for me. I think it is worth the trouble, but don't think that you are just to connect it up, make a few settings and it will all work. With 4-2-2 and HDTV, you will be constantly changing the codecs (software) to display your different signals, as one will not work great on all sources, and new codecs are always being developed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.