Help with Tivo networking

RLDreams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Ok, after a very frustrating 1/2 hour convo with Tivo CS, I figure it's time to come here to the "experts". I'm still tossing around getting Tivo for OTA and dropping D* completely. I realize the Premiere have a crappy OTA tuner,that has been discussed ad nauseam , that aside the current BF sale of $49 seems irresistible since I am not in an area with signal problems.

My question was whether the OTA Premiere would accept MOCA, if my current D* Deca inserter would work or if I needed a "Tivo approved" inserter . The CS rep I got just could not get past the fact I do not have cable TV so do not need a POE filter since the cabling though my house never leaves the house.At one point in my frustration I actually asked her if she was saying I needed it on my antenna,since that was where my signal entered. Why I would want to use Moca/Deca when I can just get a Tivo Wireless adapter.

Any recommendations on what splitter I would need to distribute the Moca signal through the house would also be appreciated, since I see some that specifically say they allow Moca passthrough and others have no mention of it. I already talked to our friends at SS and was told the Antennas Direct CDA8 I ordered from their BF sale will not allow the ethernet signal to pass through. ( anybody want a NIB splitter/amp ? )

As I said I'm dropping DTV, and going OTA/online streaming. So there will be no DTV boxes in the system . I don't want Tivo to talk to anything but each other and internet. What they could not tell me was whether my old DTV DECA inserter will work for Tivo to get MOCA. The CS I got was lost at fact I am just OTA and do not have cable going out of my house except to the antenna

With TiVo you have a choice. The 4 tuner boxes have built in MOCA. And as an alternative you can also use ethernet.

Thanks for the links, but I'm not looking at a 4 tuner since no 4 tuner Tivos support OTA, I am looking for OTA which is only supported by the 2 tuner. I know how to install a MOCA adapter, my question was whether or not Tivo 2 tuner Premiere would work with my current DECA setup or if I need to replace the DECA with a MOCA. Counld I just get DECA adapters and split off the ethernet to the Tivo's like I currently do for BR player and computers that need a cat5 LAN. To me it seems like they are both the same thing BUT for all I know they may use different "frequencies".

Thanks for the links, but I'm not looking at a 4 tuner since no 4 tuner Tivos support OTA, I am looking for OTA which is only supported by the 2 tuner. I know how to install a MOCA adapter, my question was whether or not Tivo 2 tuner Premiere would work with my current DECA setup or if I need to replace the DECA with a MOCA. Counld I just get DECA adapters and split off the ethernet to the Tivo's like I currently do for BR player and computers that need a cat5 LAN. To me it seems like they are both the same thing BUT for all I know they may use different "frequencies".

1. The new Romios have 4 tuners. Yes, Earlier versions only had 2 tuners.
2. Unless you bought the DECA yourself, I had to return mine when I dropped Directv.
3. I don't know if the DECA switches are compatible with the TIVO. Maybe ask one of the D* experts. Raoul and Jimbo might be good choices.
4. Yes they do use different frequencies. Cable runs below 850, sat runs above 950. Deca adapters interfere with broadcast signals and vice versa. Now if you have nothing else on the network, it might work. You might look at the TIVO community support forums, also.

S~

Last edited:
1. The new Romios have 4 tuners. Yes, Earlier versions only had 2 tuners.
2. Unless you bought the DECA yourself, I had to return mine when I dropped Directv.
3. I don't know if the DECA switches are compatible with the TIVO. Maybe ask one of the D* experts. Raoul and Jimbo might be good choices.

S~

I posted similar question over on DTV side, nobody is awake over there yet. Still sleeping off turkey comas.

but I'm not looking at a 4 tuner since no 4 tuner Tivos support OTA, I am looking for OTA which is only supported by the 2 tuner.

The BASIC Roamio DOES do OTA
TiVo RoamioTM
Records 4 shows at once
Up to 75 HD hours
Compatible with TiVo Stream
Built-in WiFi
Supports HD antenna or digital cable

I've thought of upgrading. The Roamio has wifi built in. The older units you can get a wifi adapter (I bought one on Ebay for like $25) for my Series 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts