Help with understanding some info on RabbitEars website

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TechGirl00

Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Toronto
Hello all,

I'm trying to understand what some of the info means in the various columns on the RabbitEars website. I'm in Toronto Canada so I get the U.S OTA channels from Buffalo as noted here: RabbitEars.Info

A bunch of repacks just happened for Buffalo in July and in particular WIVB and WNLO which moved to Physical Channel 36. My first question is what does 36 (G) and 36 (H) mean? When I hover over these it has a note saying they are a channel sharing guest but doesn't say what G/H mean. Also, until recently I was able to get the WKBW series of channels (Physical 38.1 - 38.4, Display 7.1 - 7.4) perfectly but they have gone dark as of about one or maybe two weeks ago. The latest I read is that no changes were happening until January 2020 for this set of channels. My question is what does 38 → 34 mean under the Physical Channel Column? Does this mean it has moved to Channel 34? This would explain why it has gone dark for me. OR does this mean it's moving to Channel 34 or does it mean something else? There was no note when I hovered over this.

I looked for a Legend of what these might mean but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

"G" and "H" designates a channel sharing "Guest" and "Host". In this case, WNLO is the host licensee that's sharing it's allocated channel space with guest WIVB. WIVB surrendered their license under the repack rules for a larger payout, but is staying on the air by leasing a sub-channel from WNLO.

WKBW is moving from RF channel 38 to RF channel 34 in phase 8 (est. Mar 2020) of the repack.

NYDutch... Thanks for the speedy reply!! Geez... I guess I should have been able to figure out what G & H meant after reading the little pop-up note. Didn't put 2 and 2 together. Duh!!!

Thanks also for the info about what 38 → 34. This is great info to have. In the past, before I found this site, I found it difficult to find out what channels the stations were moving to. I like to do a manual add of the channels instead of doing a complete rescan so having this info makes things so much easier!! I only wish I had found this site when all the other moves happened!

Thanks again!

Most definitely I was including rabbitears.info along with this website. The rabbitears website is one of the best I have come across in so far as the amount of info it contains (and it's up to date... that's so important) including all the info related to the repacks. I have found a lot of OTA websites that list the channels but mention nothing of the repacks and most of these sites are so out of date regardless! AND the sateliteguys site has been great for the forums!! :-D

Thanks to all for the hard work that has gone into compiling and maintaining the data/sites. I manage sites for a living so know this is no small task!! LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts