Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mhiles

Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Hey all,

I come to you in frustration, so please go easy on me. I am probably missing something simple....

I just bought a Viewsat 2000 Platinum, it is slaved to my 4DTV. I have it hooked up correctly with a dual band feedhorn, 2 hi-freq splitters taking c-band and ku-band to a DiSEqC switch then to my Viewsat. Using the 4DTV I move my BUD to G10R tp 1 (G0 on 4DTV) then switch over to the Viewsat.

Bottom line is no matter what I try for settings my Viewsat cannot find any channels. I don't get error messages, and I do get a signal on the Diseqc ports 1 & 2 (C & KU in that order) yet no luck on any channels.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, guys.

Mike

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

KU signals are harder to pull in than C-Band, your dish may need re-tweaked (pointed) as your arc maybe fine for C-Band but not lined up good enough for KU band.

I would also try by passing all switch just to see if you are getting signal direct from the LNB to the receiver.

Moving this thread out of the PC DVB area....

Next? Bad LNB or Cable?

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

I bypassed the DiSEqC switch and simply connected the split (since 4DTV is providing power) Ku-band coax directly to my Viewsat box. In the antenna set-up on the Viesat the signal meter simply oscillates between 0 signal and 50 on 1-second intervals, and this behavior does not change no matter where I position the dish east or west to the next satellite from G0.

I conclude that either my Ku LNB is bad or the cable run is bad. It is a brand new LNB and feedhorn. C-band is working just fine, but I do not know how to test the Ku LNB.

Again, I am very appreciative of any suggestions. Right now the WAF is very low....

Mike

P.S. Anyone know any "in the clear" Ku-band channels I can try to pick up with my 4DTV box?

mhiles said:
P.S. Anyone know any "in the clear" Ku-band channels I can try to pick up with my 4DTV box?
You might try amc3 [on the DCII w3(k3)], you should be able to get PBS and GPTV. Also, on G4(X4), you might be able to get American Life TV, lyngsat list them as clear.

Al

I happen to have a subscription. Lyngsat list it as clear. In my Options Menu, #6, #5, letter C, Authorization Status = U. The other channels I receive = S, while channels I don't get = NS. I assume S = subscribed, NS = unsubscribed, and U = whatever.
You don't have to have a subscription to find a channel. Once you get a digital channel, it will either come in or give you a message: a. please wait while searching for channel. b. this channel is not available. c. top of page will say "not subscribed" and at the bottom it will tell you a subscription is required, to contact your service provider.

Al

Thanks

Thanks, guys.

Tofer, you are right, and I cannot get a signal of great than 10 on my 4DTV box on any Ku band sat with any dish movement or tuning. Something is wrong with my LNB, wiring, or both. :(

It could be your Dish, assuming it's mesh, is not compatible for ku-band. On some mesh dishes the holes are too large and it doesn't get enough reception.
On another note. Have you tried to get TOC, the Outdoor Channel, it's on channel 24 on the C-band side. And, there are plenty of C-band DVB channels up there on other birds. Including a lot of the channels on G10 ku.

Al

Quick check/test. Swap your coax cables and use the "Ku" cable on your C-Band LNB. Be sure to swap at LNB and at 4DTV. If C-band works over this cable then the
"Ku coax" is good.

I got along with "good" alignment with C-Band analog. Dish needed tweaking when I went to Ku analog. Digital FTA is even more sensitive, especially on Ku. I've found my dish is aligned correctly by using a Sat Find meter (something I got along with before going digital). (Sidebar.....You can get these Sat Finder meters for one cent plus $9 shipping on eBay. Don't pay the $60 local stores like Sears charge.) I'll confess that the dish was aligned correctly on the arch. But the meter helps greatly when moving the dish east and west and when tweaking the polarizer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts