Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
K guys i got a 90 cm dish 36 in i think.. Is that good enough to do a micro bud set up. I dont know if anyone has tryed it.. and if its good enough I want to play with some mad scientist stuff. Let me know what you all think.. or is it too small :(... Dammit and my 90 cm set up lol

FWIW, I setup an ASC421 on my 26x36 dish (smaller than yours) and I was able to get some barely watchable analog C band stuff and I never was able to lock onto anything digital.

The way I figure, the ASC421 is cheap and it's fun to try :).

I tried 36" offset with ASC-421 and was only able to get AVN at 20% quality.

I now have 180cm and it pegs the meter on AVN.

whats the diffrence between prime focus and offset focus?
also why are the c / ku's so much higher in price??
and why does it look like you get the feed horn and the actual peace that you connect the cabel to separatly on some of these lnb's out there.

goaliebob99 said:
whats the diffrence between prime focus and offset focus?
also why are the c / ku's so much higher in price??
and why does it look like you get the feed horn and the actual peace that you connect the cabel to separatly on some of these lnb's out there.

Prime focus lnb is centered in the middle of the dish
Offset focus: The LNBF is located at a focal point at an offset angle from the center. It has an advantage over a prime focus dish in that the offset DISH is smaller for the same gain.

Also offset dishes have less elevation angle than prime focus. That will help in the winter time in preventing accumulation of rain and snow on the dish.

fig27.gif

fig29.gif

C/KU LNBF are higher in price because you are getting two LNBFs in one body.

On C-Band dishes, the feedhorn is a separate piece than the LNBs. The LNBs attach to the feedhorn.

So, would we have a better chance of pulling in C-band using a offset LNBF? Is the ASC-421 prime focus or offset?

ASC-421 is a Prime Focus LNBF but I have used it for off set dish with some success.

goaliebob99 said:
K guys i got a 90 cm dish 36 in i think.. Is that good enough to do a micro bud set up. I dont know if anyone has tryed it.. and if its good enough I want to play with some mad scientist stuff. Let me know what you all think.. or is it too small :(... Dammit and my 90 cm set up lol

I am testinf a 90 cm offset dish .

Using a prime focus Chapparel feedhorn , scalar ring & polorotor from ebay . Installed a 15 degree LNB .

Wheather to use a LNB + feedhorn or a LNBF depends on what kind of receiver or receivers you want to use .

Receiving some analog C band , from abput as good as over the air TV on rabit ears to very snowy .

Receiving a small amount of c band DVB-S .

Wyr

Eye In the Sky has a C-Band LNBF designed for offset dishes. I have one on my Patriot dish. It is pretty much like a standard LNBF with the exception of the scalar ring and the mount is specifically designed for an offset dish. It's the ring and mount that makes the difference between the ASC421 and the EITS offset LNBF. I have also used the ASC421 on both my P* and the Patriot and the EITS works better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts