Here's the story on my DSR-922

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Thought I would give an update on my DSR-922 that I am having some problems with.

I had my neighbor come over on Sunday afternoon, and pull all the voltages from all the inputs, and according to the label on the main cap on the power supply, everything is correct. He also checked out some of the solder joints, and visibly inspected all the caps and thought perhaps a single chip needed attention.

I took it to a second friend who does component level work, and he check the suspect chip with an O-Scope. He said he thought the chip was functioning normally.

He repaired a half dozen or so solder joints. Still couldn't get past the WM UP stage.

I brought it home, and took the Mainboard loose, and flexed it some with my hands and got it to turn on. All this was without the VCII Board installed. BTW, I checked out both VCII modules that I own in my HTS VIII+ analog receiver, and it recognized them fine even allowing the setup screen to come up etc.

I put the VCII board in, and it stopped at the WM UP screen again. I let it set overnight, and plugged it in this morning, and it came right on. I let it run a little bit, and un-plugged it. Plugged it back in, and back at the WM UP stage again. I unplugged it, and let it set until I got back around noon.

I thought if I can get this thing to come on hooked to the dish, I'll let it download all the maps that the Master reset I did the other day wiped out.

Came home, took it to the living room, hooked it up to the dish, turned it on, had 100 Signal on G1 (G15) TP 3 with 99 Q. It took a rehit, downloaded the maps, the guide, and the info.

It still won't recognize the VCII module in the setup screen, but works on the VCII channels.

I think it is simply another cold solder joint or two that would fix it, but I am tired of it, and I have imposed enough on my friends. I have unplugged it again after the maps download, and it again stopped at the WM UP. I will let it set for an hour or two, and it will come back on now.

I have purchased a 920 from a fellow forum member, and it is on the way.

I am going to put this one up in the classified section, and if I can't get any takers there, I will put it on EBay.

If any of you have further suggestions, now is the time to speak up. :D

Fred

After unplugging earlier today, I waited 30 seconds and plugged in, and it again stopped at the WM UP stage. I unplugged it again.

After two hours of sitting there cooling down, I plugged it in, and it popped right on and is working fine right now.

So when cool, it comes right on. When it is on and warmed up, it won't.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

can you hook a old computer fan up to the back and draw air across it , cooling it and get it to reboot after running for a while , might be a cooling poblem but this would only be a temp fix. something sounds too hot and i would suspect the chip you check in the post above is getting too hot.

After unplugging earlier today, I waited 30 seconds and plugged in, and it again stopped at the WM UP stage. I unplugged it again.

After two hours of sitting there cooling down, I plugged it in, and it popped right on and is working fine right now.

So when cool, it comes right on. When it is on and warmed up, it won't.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Thermiatrics Yuck:( CSJ, I would also suspect a hairline crack in a foil trace since when you flexed the PCB it worked. Been there done that. Heat is probably effecting the hairline crack or CSJ. When it's cold it contracts and makes contact. When it warms up it it expands and breaks the contact. Headache city.

I've had to resweat large sections of boards to solve them. All stress points should be resweated first.

I think you are correct George.

Something is overheating, but that could be just another solder joint expanding and contracting. We touched all the chips with our hands after it had been running quite a while yesterday just to see if there were any hot ones.

Fred

Hey tvropro,

That sounds like a good job for the next owner. :)

Someone who can fix it, can make a little money with this one.

Fred

I've delt with problems like that. They can take days and days to solve. Dumping it is a good move :) For someone who has time to spend it can be resolved. I worked on a product years ago for my self that took a month to solve. I wanted it fixed. I finally found a bad ceramic cap that had funky specs that caused me all my headaches. Still works today I fixed it back in 92.

Hey Al,

I had thought about trying to use it as is, but even with a UPS battery backup, we have too many power failures around here that last longer than 15-20 minutes. It just isn't practical to have a unit that you can't power off on occasion either.

It is better off going to someone who can fix it and restore it to being useful again.

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)