He's here!!! He's here....BECKS is FINALLY here!!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
The SAVIOR of "futbol" in America is here!!!! :rolleyes:

I love "futbol" but come on....Tell me Ronaldinho is coming to America, or Ronaldo or CaCa or Cafu...(damn, too much Brazilian influence....LOL:D) I think LA is trying to make up fro a lack of American Football in that city. BUT, I think futbol here is FINALLY starting to really pick up....we shall see.....:eek:

LOS ANGELES -- Soccer star David Beckham and his wife, Victoria, arrived Thursday night to begin their new lives in the United States.

The British power couple smiled and held hands as they walked out of a Los Angeles International Airport terminal shortly before 8:20 p.m. after arriving aboard a British Airways flight from London.

Dozens of reporters and photographers pushed and shoved behind barriers set up at the terminal before the duo, surrounded by security guards, left in a black sport utility vehicle without commenting.

Their three children accompanied them on the flight, but didn't exit the terminal with them. Victoria Beckham, also known as Posh Spice of the Spice Girls, wore a sleeveless black dress and sunglasses and gave a quick wave to the paparazzi. David Beckham was dressed in a black jacket and jeans.

Several people at the airport to pick up passengers became paparazzi themselves, snapping images with their cell phones. "It was so awesome, he looks better in person than in the magazines," said devoted Beckham fan Priscilla Flores, 15. "I'm really excited to see him play his first game here. He'll make soccer more popular here." The media swarm also attracted curious onlookers, though not everyone knew what the big deal was. "Who's David Beckham?" asked Austin Baker, an 11-year-old California boy waiting for a connecting flight, before the world's biggest soccer star arrived.

ESPNsoccernet - MLS - Beckham, 'Posh' on their way to new home in L.A.

Futbol starting to pick up. Hmmm my guess is that it will pick up in the next generation.

Soccer outdraws little league in many cities now. I think when this generation of children has children they will take their kids to watch and enjoy.

I think MOST Americans over 30 dont appreciate the what do you call them, oh yeah nuances of the game.

For me I get bored with it. Especially offsides. I think if they took offsides out of soccer or put in some kind of "blue line" I would like it better.

I hate the fact that if you look like you are going to get out numbered you can run away and force the other team either go offsides or wait until you get more help.

There is a soccer league in the US?
:yawn
I used to say the same thing until I watched Spanish League Soccer on Worldsport in the Voom days. Then I realized its the MLS that sucks. Those guys look like JV High School players next to Real Madrid or Barcelona. US soccer needs a lot more than a Beckham past his prime. :rolleyes:

You guys need to 'expand your horizones' a bit. I love all sports....but you can't say it "sucks" just because you guys don't like it.....

US Soccer sucks. Most of the other top leagues are fun to watch.

Well....they are trying to improve MLS...but there is still NO WHERE NEAR the $$$ that those other leagues have.....hell, some of those leagues have as much if not more than than the NFL....

Well....they are trying to improve MLS...but there is still NO WHERE NEAR the $$$ that those other leagues have.....hell, some of those leagues have as much if not more than than the NFL....

Agreed. Just look at what they're paying Beckham! My guess is other top US players are not getting his paycheck. With so many sports in the US, I don't think we'll ever see top $$$ being spent in MLS.

They don't score enough for me.

And that is the problem with American fans when it comes to sports....they NEED heavy scoring to keep them interested. NOBODY likes to 'watch' defense..... I love 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 baseball games and 14-10, 10-7, 17-10 games in football....I like defense...and as they say...defense in just about ANY sport is what wins championships....but like I said, NOBODY likes to watch that.

You guys need to 'expand your horizones' a bit. I love all sports....but you can't say it "sucks" just because you guys don't like it.....

Reasons soccer sucks.

1. Boring

2. Can't use hands

3. low scoring

4. Soccer participants are walking advertisements.

5. Fruity penalty cards.

6. Psychotic fans, Soccer fans actually set themselves on fire.

7. Ties: 55% of games are ties.

8. Soccer hi lites concentrate on what almost happens

9. Soccer is not objective.

10. Soccer has no honor.

I think that's enough reasons to say soccer "sucks".

Reasons soccer sucks.

1. Boring

2. Can't use hands

3. low scoring

4. Soccer participants are walking advertisements.

5. Fruity penalty cards.

6. Psychotic fans, Soccer fans actually set themselves on fire.

7. Ties: 55% of games are ties.

8. Soccer hi lites concentrate on what almost happens

9. Soccer is not objective.

10. Soccer has no honor.

I think that's enough reasons to say soccer "sucks".

I offer this as a counter to your points

1) I invite you to watch the UEFA CL final from 2005 & still tell me soccer is boring

2)Goalkeeper can use hands (you are obviously ill informed)

3)Do you watch sports solely for the scoring.. I would suggest that you are not a purist, some of the best events in sport happen when two teams are evenly matched.

4)NFL, NBA, Baseball are littered with TV ad breaks, soccer consists of 2 x 45 min halves that are uninterrupted hence revenue has to be made up somehow. Do you really like your TV ads that much?

5)Errr what?

6) Correct me if I am wrong but all sports have "psychotic fans" attached. Rioting in the streets after Denver won the superbowl is one event that springs to mind. I have witnessed Toronto fans fighting in the stands with Pittsburgh fans at a hockey game. Media coverage highlighting this is more of a problem than the problem itself. With soccer being the world sport there will be a greater numerical number of psychotic fan of this I will agree

7) Why is a Tie undesirable in sport? If two teams are evenly matched then why not? A tie can be entertaining

8) Highlights do not solely focus on what "almost" happened. But what did happen you cannot have a video highlight of something that almost happens it either did or it did not

9)Explain. do not make nonsensical statements

10)Explain

1) I invite you to watch the UEFA CL final from 2005 & still tell me soccer is boring

3)Do you watch sports solely for the scoring.. I would suggest that you are not a purist, some of the best events in sport happen when two teams are evenly matched.

4)NFL, NBA, Baseball are littered with TV ad breaks, soccer consists of 2 x 45 min halves that are uninterrupted hence revenue has to be made up somehow. Do you really like your TV ads that much?

5)Errr what?

6) Correct me if I am wrong but all sports have "psychotic fans" attached. Rioting in the streets after Denver won the superbowl is one event that springs to mind. I have witnessed Toronto fans fighting in the stands with Pittsburgh fans at a hockey game. Media coverage highlighting this is more of a problem than the problem itself. With soccer being the world sport there will be a greater numerical number of psychotic fan of this I will agree

7) Why is a Tie undesirable in sport? If two teams are evenly matched then why not? A tie can be entertaining

8) Highlights do not solely focus on what "almost" happened. But what did happen you cannot have a video highlight of something that almost happens it either did or it did not

10)Explain

To me...futbol....I hate the term 'soccer'....is the most pure of all the sports outside of the olympics....it's the only sport that really has not changed much...as compared to other psorts that are CONSTANTLY trying to tinker with the original rules to keep peoples interest...and get MORE scoring.....

5)Errr what?

10)Explain

1. I don't want to watch soccer.

2. I know goal keepers can use there hands, I was talking about the people who walk around the field.

3. It helps

4. Tivo

5. Use hand signals

6. They don't catch themselves or the stadium on fire, or a fan killing a player because he sucked, it's not the same as a fight at a hockey game, use some common sense.

7.They stopped ties in hockey, that alone should tell you something.

8. Look he almost made that goal, aww to bad.

9. There is no play clock. The game doesn't end after the clock has run down. This adds bias , and it destroys the drama from last second victories.

10. There are codes of behavior in sports real sports. There is no code of behavior in the activity of soccer, the penis biting should make this fairly obvious.

Last edited:
And that is the problem with American fans when it comes to sports....they NEED heavy scoring to keep them interested. NOBODY likes to 'watch' defense..... I love 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 baseball games and 14-10, 10-7, 17-10 games in football....I like defense...and as they say...defense in just about ANY sport is what wins championships....but like I said, NOBODY likes to watch that.

I love Defense !!!!

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts