He's here!!! He's here....BECKS is FINALLY here!!

Salsa,

Ive read the counterpoints and I do find the point either you or one of the other pro soccer..I mean futbol guys made, about whats wrong with two evenly matched teams having a tie, valid. I dont agree with it but I think you can make that point.

I believe what I typed earlier. The people who dont care for soccer werent exposed to it at a young age.

Baseball can be boring as hell. But its more than the game. You watched baseball with your family and friends. You played baseball as a kid and grew up with it.

Most of us havent played soccer or can we relate to it. I have two younger cousins who were both soccer stars in HS. (girls not that it matters) We joke that they are going to have to teach my daughter how to play because I havent a clue.

While it might be the most boring sport in the world for ME, I will take my daughter to Revolution games if thats her passion. Perhaps I wont know about the sport or teams but I hope she will get a sense of family from it. Then she can take her own children. (LOL shes 3 mos old and Im talking about her kids).

I think its more than just the sport that doesnt instantly translate but its all of the other things that go into.

US Soccer sucks. Most of the other top leagues are fun to watch. I enjoy watching the Spanish League. Too bad the English Premiere League is
not available on Dish.

Exactly! MLS is not that great.

They don't score enough for me.

and that's exactly why football won't be big in the USA. Football is not just about scoring, yeah it's great to watch goals but when you watch football you watch how they make the plays and how the defense reacts to it. The match could 0-0 and still be a great match. And yes I said FOOTBALL not soccer.

I tried to love soccer, I really did. I lived in Europe for two years and when I came back to the United States I ended up marrying a Brazilian girl, so I've been exposed to a lot of soccer. We get the Brazilian channels on Dish Network which feature a lot of soccer matches, and I can enjoy the occassional game if there's enough of a back-story (there seem to be a lot of rivalries in soccer, sometimes compounded by the national/political backdrops), but I don't think I'll ever be a "fan".

I think it was the 2006 World Cup games that finally convinced me. Other people have already mentioned the low scoring, frequent ties, and confusing off-sides rules. What really turns me off though is the penalty system. I remember watching the World Cup and being stunned at how many games were decided on penalty kicks. Penalty kicks which are often awarded by questionable calls. You could see the same "foul" time and time again, and you never knew when the officials were going to call it. In order for me to be invested in soccer, the refs will have to stop playing such a deciding factor in games.

I tried to love soccer, I really did. I lived in Europe for two years and when I came back to the United States I ended up marrying a Brazilian girl, so I've been exposed to a lot of soccer. We get the Brazilian channels on Dish Network which feature a lot of soccer matches, and I can enjoy the occassional game if there's enough of a back-story (there seem to be a lot of rivalries in soccer, sometimes compounded by the national/political backdrops), but I don't think I'll ever be a "fan".

I think it was the 2006 World Cup games that finally convinced me. Other people have already mentioned the low scoring, frequent ties, and confusing off-sides rules. What really turns me off though is the penalty system. I remember watching the World Cup and being stunned at how many games were decided on penalty kicks. Penalty kicks which are often awarded by questionable calls. You could see the same "foul" time and time again, and you never knew when the officials were going to call it. In order for me to be invested in soccer, the refs will have to stop playing such a deciding factor in games.

Gee.....soumds like the NFL, NBA and the NHL.....:D

and to some extent MLB. The umpires have their own strike zone and they really like to get involved in the games, don't they?

I think EVEN MORE in 'American' sports more than other sports seen world wide. Here in the US, we know the umps and they knows we know them and therefore, many times they think they are ABOVE the game itself. Hell, this past NBA, for the 1st time I can remember, a ref was reprimanded and suspended....about freakin' time.....but that is why many refs and umps think they above the game...they can't be talked about, they can't be looked at with a crooked eye...because instantly, fine.
The one thing I LOVE about soccer rules, if the ref THINKS you faked a dive....yellow card. TOO many fake dives and falls in the NBA...then analyst have the nerve to call it defense...:rolleyes:

Gee.....soumds like the NFL, NBA and the NHL.....:D

I agree that imperfect and sometimes arbitrary officiating happens in just about any sport (with the possible exception of curling), but the effect of that officiating is magnified in a sport where a typical final score may be 2-1, as opposed to 34-16 (NFL), 92-110 (NBA), or 9-5 (MLB). If you can see past that aspect of soccer then great, but I feel betrayed when I've watched two teams battle up and down the field for 90 some minutes, only to have the game decided by a penalty kick.

Well, David Beckham just joined the game in his LA Galaxy debut! Welcome to MLS, David!

300,000 Beckham T-shirts sold since yesterday! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts