Hey batter, batter.

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
Banning "chatter" in Little League Baseball

"Hey batta....hey batta....hey batta....SWING batta!" How many of us have enjoyed this simple baseball chant at some time in our lives? It has been said at ballparks throughout the country for over 100 years, and now a bunch of unrealistic, overprotective parents want to ban "chatter" during little league games. It is a trend that is happening everywhere from Cincinnati to Sacramento, and little by little, this unique part of baseball lore is disappearing.

Why is it that people want to take this part of the game away? The most prevailing answer is that the soccer moms (and dads, they're out there), want their children to just play and "have fun." For over a hundred years, little league baseball has taught kids numerous lessons about life, including teamwork, competitiveness, and overcoming adversity. One lesson that should not be taught is this theory that "we're all winners all the time." Many times in life, one must overcome obstacles in the face of competition, often times unfriendly competition. To pretend that everyone is always going to encourage you and support you during tough times is completely unrealistic. Parents cannot protect their children twenty four hours a day, and the baseball field is the perfect, supervised setting that provides them a safe way to learn (on their own) about some not-so-friendly things.

Banning "chatter" in Little League Baseball - Associated Content

These parents are ridiculous. This is parents who don't understand anything about little league and don't want their kids feelings hurt.:river Get over it parents, only kids who win deserves a trophy, games should have scores kept and chatter belongs in little league.

If you don't want your kid to feel what it's like to lose a game, then don't let them go out for organized sports.

I will never push sports on my daughter, but if she wants to play she should play hard every game win or lose. If her team wins, that's great, if they lose, then she will have to learn to accept it and move on to the next game.

Banning "chatter" in Little League Baseball - Associated Content

These parents are ridiculous. This is parents who don't understand anything about little league and don't want their kids feelings hurt.:river Get over it parents, only kids who win deserves a trophy, games should have scores kept and chatter belongs in little league.

If you don't want your kid to feel what it's like to lose a game, then don't let them go out for organized sports.

I will never push sports on my daughter, but if she wants to play she should play hard every game win or lose. If her team wins, that's great, if they lose, then she will have to learn to accept it and move on to the next game.

I agree 100%! But if you think THAT'S BAD....trying the parents of teenage boys playing high school baseball at a private school.....:eek: I have had to tell SO MANY PARENTS basically that if you kid ain't playing, it's because he as not as good as the kid infront....that simple...and when you are talking about kids looking to get division I scholarships OR get drafted......

I agree 100%! But if you think THAT'S BAD....trying the parents of teenage boys playing high school baseball at a private school.....:eek: I have had to tell SO MANY PARENTS basically that if you kid ain't playing, it's because he as not as good as the kid infront....that simple...and when you are talking about kids looking to get division I scholarships OR get drafted......

Of course every parent thinks their kid is better than the other.:rolleyes:

Of course every parent thinks their kid is better than the other.:rolleyes:

Well...when it comes to little league...the object of the coach it to try to get everyone to play...regardless of what level, there will ALWAYS be some kids that a more gifted than others...that is just a plain fact. But again, the object of the coach is to get everyone as equal playing time as possible. In high school, whole different animal...especially when your talking about teams that are constantly in the top 25 in the state and top 100 in the country like our program is.

Well...when it comes to little league...the object of the coach it to try to get everyone to play...regardless of what level, there will ALWAYS be some kids that a more gifted than others...that is just a plain fact. But again, the object of the coach is to get everyone as equal playing time as possible. In high school, whole different animal...especially when your talking about teams that are constantly in the top 25 in the state and top 100 in the country like our program is.

I know, I was talking about the older kids. I was terrible at baseball, but my coach still played me every game in rt. field:rolleyes:. He got mad at me when I decided to walk into the pitches to get on base.:D

It sounds like you coach baseball Salsa, I don't envy you one bit, sounds like parents can be real jerks.

Last edited:
Yeah that is just stupid parents not wanting their kids to taste defeat. Are they going to go to their bosses when they get out in the real world and tell them that they can never talk down to them or fire them.

I know, I was talking about the older kids. I was terrible at baseball, but my coach still played me every game in rt. field:rolleyes:. He got mad at me when I decided to walk into the pitches to get on base.:D

It sounds like you coach baseball Salsa, i don't envy you one bit, sounds like parents can be real jerks.

Yep...I am one of the 3 coaches at one of the local private high school. Also the assistant head coach. I love it....I stopped playing a couple of years ago, but I was thinking of joining one of the.....*gulp* and I hate to even say this...one of the over 40 baseball leagues down here......GOD, I feel old....:(

Yep...I am one of the 3 coaches at one of the local private high school. Also the assistant head coach. I love it....I stopped playing a couple of years ago, but I was thinking of joining one of the.....*gulp* and I hate to even say this...one of the over 40 baseball leagues down here......GOD, I feel old....:(

Glad I'm not 40 yet.:D Well at least for 2 more months that is.:D

Hey you two old fogies grab your metamucil and have a drink. :D

Salsa, I can sympathize with your problems with parents. I quit coaching baseball because of idiot parents. Quit crying about your age, I'll be 50 on Christmas, some days I feel 60, others I feel 30. It's the miles not the years.

Salsa, I can sympathize with your problems with parents. I quit coaching baseball because of idiot parents. Quit crying about your age, I'll be 50 on Christmas, some days I feel 60, others I feel 30. It's the miles not the years.

Then I am in my 50's instead of my real age of 33.

Paul...didn't you know that 50 is the new "30"! Sophistication, worldly, man-who-has-seen-everything-to-see....

At 40....most men hear .."eewwww....you my father's age" .....no definition of what the "new 40" will be yet....:(

LMAO....;)

I'm feeling better already. As for the "eewwww... you're my father's age..." I recommend trying to pick up girls that AREN'T young enough to be your daughter.

I told my wife that when she turns 40, I'll trade her in for two 20 year olds.:D

She told me I couldn't handle them, and they would probably kill me.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)