Hey Dish even TiVo has a skip mode!

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
With TiVo, No more waiting for commercial breaks to be over. With a single press of a button, you can continue watching your recorded show. SkipMode works with the top 20 channels, including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, AMC Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, TBS, FX, TLC, History Channel, TNT, The CW, Food Network, USA, Bravo, ABC Family, Syfy, Lifetime and HGTV. This thing skips the entire commercial on 20 channels, while Dish is selling us out. Come on Dish, get with the program and take care of your customers, before they are all gone. Quit selling us out on our features for your own profit. One button push sure beats 8.

TiVo provides equipment and DVR service ONLY, they are not a programmer, so they don't have to negotiate contracts to carry programming like Dish does. I would venture to bet Dish is prohibited from offering a "auto hop" service on most cable type channels .

TiVo provides equipment and DVR service ONLY, they are not a programmer, so they don't have to negotiate contracts to carry programming like Dish does. I would venture to bet Dish is prohibited from offering a "auto hop" service on most cable type channels .

I think your right.

Honestly your better off dumping Dish, and getting a TiVo with a cable card.

So much better than Dish and Directv

With TiVo, No more waiting for commercial breaks to be over. With a single press of a button, you can continue watching your recorded show. SkipMode works with the top 20 channels, including ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, AMC Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, TBS, FX, TLC, History Channel, TNT, The CW, Food Network, USA, Bravo, ABC Family, Syfy, Lifetime and HGTV. This thing skips the entire commercial on 20 channels, while Dish is selling us out. Come on Dish, get with the program and take care of your customers, before they are all gone. Quit selling us out on our features for your own profit. One button push sure beats 8.
As Jerry said, an apples to oranges argument.

Reactions: Tampa8
I think your right.

Honestly your better off dumping Dish, and getting a TiVo with a cable card.

So much better than Dish and Directv

I'm not, I can't get cable here and never will :) Had satellite since the mid 80's, TVRO, then DBS. Honestly, I don't think I'd pick cable over satellite if I could get it. I hear a lot of workmates talk about "the cable being out" all too often, especially in bad weather.

Reactions: DWS44 and KAB
I'm not, I can't get cable here and never will :) Had satellite since the mid 80's, TVRO, then DBS. Honestly, I don't think I'd pick cable over satellite if I could get it. I hear a lot of workmates talk about "the cable being out" all too often, especially in bad weather.
At our home in Fl (community Comcast), the few weeks I spend there a year, about six, have yet have a whole "vacation" without a Comcast outage.

Reactions: bobvick
4 or 6 tuners is fine for me, a larger family probably benefits with more tuners. Skipmode is awesome and you do get used to 1 button push to skip commercials instead of 6 or 7. Also easy to upgrade/replace the internal drive to 3TB of storage. I have no problems with Dish, but the very good usability of Tivo and the bundling of tv/internet is where the real savings are. I've already recouped the Tivo cost from the savings in receiver fees and the $80 a month in bundle savings for tv/internet with Cox.

I don't remember ever losing cable internet service in the 10 years I had Cox internet, before moving last year to this new house. Now I've had 2 outages since March when I added tv service and switched from Dish. One was an hour and the other was about 3 hours. That's probably more tv down time than I had my entire 17 years with Dish. Both were loss of power problems at the node for this half of the neighborhood. Picture quality has actually improved since the last outage on that node. IMO it's better than Dish now, so I can't complain about that. Hopefully there are no more service disruptions

Reactions: Troch77
Because the skip button is so hard to use.

Does that cablecard TiVo support 16 simultaneous recordings yet?
No I don't have 16 tuners but I do have 5 Tivo's with lifetime. 12 Tuners and no monthly fees and I don't remember ever having them all recording.

And many at the TCF report that the Skip Mode is not functioning properly by skipping too far into the program material or in other ways not skipping the commercials properly. Some have resorted to just doing it manually at this point. But even the TiVo skip 30 seconds ahead button is still a good way to skip. The far better feature of TiVo's is the QuickMode. Now that can be a great feature if one wants to get through the news and political debates or other types of show like talking heads (delayed or recorded content; one can't Quick Mode Live TV) far more efficiently. Overall, Dish Hopper line is still superior to TiVo, with Hopper Commercial Skip requiring NO PRESSING OF BUTTONS OR OTHER INTERVENTION at all to skip commercials while TiVo require you to press the magic letter button to skip. However, still TiVo makes a darn mighty fine DVR that is in the top tier with Hopper and Genie.

Sadly the (TiVo) Bolt+ is a sad joke to power users considering its FULL PRICE, and considering that TiVo alluded to a far more capable and feture rich Bolt for power users just months ago. Instead, TiVo put out a tepid Roamio Plus like product for what will clearly be TiVo's final stand alone box retail DVR product, and not even with OTA capability that most wanted is causing great consternation among TCF members. Take a look at the poll on the TCF where the vast majority will NOT be buying the Bolt+ and the long, long, thread of posts of dissatisfaction, dissappoinment and even pessimestic bitterness with the Bolt+ specs TiVo as a company and its future as not being bright in the slightest. The (TiVo) Mantis is the future and it aint no DVR in the sense of how most TiVo users prefer: a large, local storage of recordings and functionality of the stand alone box that connects directly to the TV.

Because the skip button is so hard to use.

Does that cablecard TiVo support 16 simultaneous recordings yet?
Are you kidding? 6 tuners still the max and ONLY for cable TV NOT for OTA (Bolt+ can only receive digital cable and NO OTA what so ever). The OTA maximum is 4 Tuners but that is the original, lower tier Bolt released last year. But that was the same configuration for the Roamio line, as well, so no real change with the Bolt tuner count or even capacity to speak of, just the addition of 4K, and even that can be limitied.

We were all expecting Ira Barh's comments of something "worthy" of TiVo high-end power users (who live to drop thousands of $$ at the drop of a hat on the latest TiVo--like those who line-up at the Apple Store to hand over even more money to the memory of Steve Jobs--or more often several thousands of $$ on multiple upgraded TiVo's even though they have perfectly well working and capable TiVo's in the home, which cost them multiple thousands of $$ along with the hundreds of $$ for the requisite Minis) to be something along the lines of MORE than 6 tuners, much more capacity HDD and who knows what else. However, TiVo releases the Bolt+ as a sad swan song. To understand what seemed to be promised (quotes from Ira) and what was deliviered, you can try Dave Zats site at zatsnotfunny for his concise roundup of the issue and new Bolt+ and its bank busting full price and how it is only a marginal improvement (4K being the only compelling exclusive to the box--but with no HDR) from the previous generation Series 5 Roamio line. Oh, and the Bolt lines awful design of the bent box is a deal breaker for many at TCF.

Sad, because, overall, TiVo is a very good DVR, but the Bolt+ is a dissappointment, but considering that Rovi is now in control (they adopted the name/brand of TiVo and retired the "Rovi" brand), it was not a suprise to me as Rovi made clear it does not see a future with RETAIL DVR boxes. I am prety sure the new Rovi management killed the killer Bolt+ and, instead, pushed out this far less ambititious and less costly to produce box because they are charting TiVo in a new direction.

The Skip function on my Roamio OTA does work very well. I do hope they get the Guide mess fixed.
But as pointed out the OP is trying to compare a company who makes receivers who distributes programming and must negotiate contracts to one who only makes receivers, and in fact has some protection via the Cable Card. Now the Quickmode is indeed something DISH could think about adding, very handy.

Reactions: dare2be and osu1991
The Skip function on my Roamio OTA does work very well. I do hope they get the Guide mess fixed.
But as pointed out the OP is trying to compare a company who makes receivers who distributes programming and must negotiate contracts to one who only makes receivers, and in fact has some protection via the Cable Card. Now the Quickmode is indeed something DISH could think about adding, very handy.
I don't use my Skip Mode much becuase I have it for OTA and only record ONE show that has the feautre, but I've not noticed a problem for me on my Roamios (base model, of course, the only model of Roamio having OTA).

MY GOD! The changeover from Gracenote to Rovi metadata caused me great headaches, especialy on one unit that I had to re-do Setup and re-create all my 53 One Passes as the ONLY way I could fix the mess. And I had to spend far too much time removing tons of channels added from San Diego and other DMA's that could pollute some of my One Passes. P-I-T-A!

IMHO, I think Charlie used AutoHop as leverage on the major broadcasters. The 9th circuit ruling on a preliminary injunction makes crystal clear that Dish is in no way violating copyrights by using AutoHop. I also don't beleive that Dish is prevented from expanding AutoHop to other "cable" channels if it wishes, but the media companies will fight to requiure to Dish to honor C3 or C7, meaning they would prefer (or require as per new contracts with broadcasters) to wait until 3 or 7 seven days after original air date to activate AutoHop feature because the channels do NOT get credit for ad views after the 3rd or 7th day of original air date. After that, the channels just DON'T CARE because it is of no consequence to them at that point. TiVo has far too few users in the US for the media companies to consider TiVo's Commercial Skip to be of any consequence. It would cost them more in lawyers fees than what they would get in return.

Also, I forgot, but in relation to AutoHop: someone mentioned that the trial judge had ruled thet Dish was in breach of contract because Dish made an evaluation copy for AutoHop purposes and, thererfore, broke the clause regarding of no copies permitted "without expressed written approval" from the channel. However, the press, as it often does, reported somewhat inaccurately. What happened was the trial judge ruled that the trial--with NBC being the last who had not settled out of court (enforcing C3 or C7 as part of new contracts)--a trail could proceed but ONLY on the matter of "copy" of content made by Dish for its evaluation as having some merit. HOWEVER, the 9th (and the trial judge knows this, as it was in response to her earlier ruling in denying a preliminary injunction that was upheld by the 9th), already made clear that in order for Dish to have violated the terms of the contract that state "no unauthorized copies" of content, the broadcasters would have to PROVE that they suffered loss or damages, and considering that the evaluation copy was only used in-house--not distrubuted publically--and used for evaluation purposes and seen by as few as, perhaps, 20 people, the broadcasters were not likely to prove loss or damages and would NOT prevail. In other words, the broadcasters had no chance of winning on ANY of its claims, even the ONLY claim the 9th felt the broadcasters had at least the smallest of a chance: the evaluation copy without permission.

However, the trial judge was correct in allowing a trial to proceed on this point only because it would allow for the broadcasters the opportunity to prove their claim, but even the trial judge had to know it wasn't going to meet the standards of having suffered loss or damages. As it turned out, NBC also settled allowing Dish to activate AutoHop after the C3 or C7 period, and there will be no trial regarding AutoHop after all now that all plaintiffs have settled out of court, and happily added their content to the SlingTV line-up.

So, the broadcasters and all the other channels, many of them owned by the parent companies of the broadcasters, know they have no chance in court against any commercial skip features (partly because they do NOT own the copyrights to the commercials, as stated by the 9th Circuit) and since TiVo does not negotiate for direct access to the content of the media companies (althogh indirectly providing more content via Netflix, hulu, Amazon and other apps) those media companies have no leverage with TiVo to require them to adhere to C3 or C7 in regards to TiVo's Commercial Skip, a path cleared for it by Dish.

Last edited:
Good synopsis. Virtually every OTA program from all networks (incld CW etc but not independants) has the skip for me however. You have be done with the recording and is usually instant after the recording though once in awhile it takes time so show the SKIP notice. I think most of us agree even if it wasn't the original intent DISH did use the feature as a negotiating tool. Knowing what we do now that included more than the cost and even more than streaming rights but to also start A La Carte and to get so many of the Cable channels into one package without locals or sports etc..
I have not fully recovered from the Rovi guide change (take over) after they bought TIVO but it's much better. I too had to recreate timers/passes but I also had a problem of having missing channels and having out of market ones too that I don't receive. Unrelated but sometimes my receiver does not make contact with the Mother Ship and I have a short guide, I have to manually connect. That sometimes get the updates sometimes not. Overall a good receiver but imagine the outrage here if DISH went through those problems.

Never say never.

I did not think I would be getting cable either,because we are 5 miles out from the city, until Charter merged with Time Warner& Brighthouse but it happened.

The benefits so far are no 1:30AM reboots from my in house cable HDDVR and a 1080p/60 HD picture,I am impressed.:oldsmile2

Never say never.

I did not think I would be getting cable either,because we are 5 miles out from the city, until Charter merged with Time Warner& Brighthouse but it happened.

The benefits so far are no 1:30AM reboots from my in house cable HDDVR and a 1080p/60 HD picture,I am impressed.:oldsmile2

Nah, won't happen here. The closest cable is a small local outfit with maybe 5,000 subscribers over two counties. Then, I live about 2 1/2 miles off a State highway on a county road with about two houses before mine. I would love to have cable Internet though.
That 1080p picture, you do know if anything, the Motorola-Arris or Cisco box is just up converting that, unless its PPV or some special event. No regular cable or broadcast channels transmit in 1080p.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ChadT41
Nah, won't happen here. The closest cable is a small local outfit with maybe 5,000 subscribers over two counties. Then, I live about 2 1/2 miles off a State highway on a county road with about two houses before mine. I would love to have cable Internet though.
That 1080p picture, you do know if anything, the Motorola-Arris or Cisco box is just up converting that, unless its PPV or some special event. No regular cable or broadcast channels transmit in 1080p.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
That was my thinking on the 1080P. Which Dish customers still get 1080P and 4K on the movies. I lived my entire pre adult life and my time in the army up til about 2010 with nothing but cable, and can say for sure, I will never go back. With Dish, and my brother with DTV, we have less outages, better equipment, better options, cheaper plans, and not harassed by them to upgrade another service to qualify for deals. I'm currently a Cox Internet customer, and anytime I call in they try to schill tv services and phone services. I do not want either and hate explaining why when they ask.

Reactions: KAB
I have a 3rd party universal remote where you can program macros. I made one that skips 5 commercials (1 min 30 sec). Then if there's more I just press the 30 sec skip button. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Only a minute and a half? Most commercials I've seen are at least 3 minutes (except maybe sports) and vary from 3 to sometimes over 5 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)