Hey MODS: We need a new forum: Blu-ray / HD Downloads WAR ZONE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No we need a BD vs DVD war zone where we post weekly sales data. After a few weeks of that we will stop hearing ridiculous Blublood boasts about market dominance.

No we need a BD vs DVD war zone where we post weekly sales data. After a few weeks of that we will stop hearing ridiculous Blublood boasts about market dominance.

Not much of a warzone but we look forward to your posts in this area.

Those grapes sure are sour arent they:p

DOCIS 3.0 is being roles out this year by comca$t....I am in a test area and i currently get 25mbs/2500

They wont have to do 1080P downloads as MOST people will be satified with 720p downloads (good enough)

5-7GB files come down in a flash and if your STB does any type of streaming/buffering you can start watching in min....

I watch 3 HD-Dwnlds this weekend from XBL...the quality and sound were 'good enough' and i waited 45 second or less to start watching them

How much do you pay for that?

I currently get 6-8 mbs (usually around 4) down and 384 up for $52.95 a month from Comcrap. That's a ripoff.
OH, but we also get the 12mbs Powerboost whatever the F*ck that is...
AND we get throttled when we DL big files.........

BD's sales will increase by the weeks :) DVD should start watching out at the end of the year :)

there just aren't enoughHD sets to allow that to happen. BD sales will grow but not that quickly.

How much do you pay for that?

I currently get 6-8 mbs (usually around 4) down and 384 up for $52.95 a month from Comcrap. That's a ripoff.
OH, but we also get the 12mbs Powerboost whatever the F*ck that is...
AND we get throttled when we DL big files.........

The HSI portion of my bill is basicly that same as you pay...

Where did you get your stats? Ive owned 2 65"HDTV since 2000 and neither have been 720P.

It's pretty simple, really. All sets sold now are either 1080p or 720p, and 720p is cheaper... cheaper always sells more.

By the way, I'm in the same boat as you, I have a 1080i set and a 1080p one - never had a 720p-only set...

You arent making a very good argument. why would people download a movie is 720P format when they can rent it in 1080P? Also, you have to account for the HDDVD crowd saying BR players are to expensive at $300-$400. Why would the same people pay $50-$100 per month just for the option to download a movie then pay another charge to rent the movie?

DOCIS 3.0 is being roles out this year by comca$t....I am in a test area and i currently get 25mbs/2500

They wont have to do 1080P downloads as MOST people will be satified with 720p downloads (good enough)

5-7GB files come down in a flash and if your STB does any type of streaming/buffering you can start watching in min....

I watch 3 HD-Dwnlds this weekend from XBL...the quality and sound were 'good enough' and i waited 45 second or less to start watching them

Ain't that the truth.

AppleTV is $240-330 (overly compressed, bit rate starved), 720p and looks worse than upconverted SD DVD. HD DVR's are free, subsidized or available at a marginal cost from your cable/sat provider with 1080i (HD-lite, overly compressed, but still). Vudu is 1080p (*cough*, still overly compressed and bit rate starved). Xbox Live? All 4 offer one advantage over renting optical media--no wait time in the middle of the night when the store is closed. That's it.

If Blu-Ray players cost too much at $400+, then HD players (except cable HD DVR's) cost way too much at $300+. Actually VOD/PPV would do more damage to DVD/Blu-Ray if it were released day and date rather than delayed by a month or more.

From The Economist.

Every time Hollywood has offered people a more convenient way to get its films, sales have leapt. Bringing movies into the home via television, VHS and DVD built the industry into what it is today. The internet may look unfamiliar and dangerous, but it could be the ultimate home-entertainment weapon. No trip to a thinly stocked retailer, no late fees, no waiting for a package in the post; instead, on-demand access to any film you want, from the latest blockbuster to the most obscure art-house tear-jerker. Because distribution costs mostly go away, online sales are more profitable too. The internet is the industry's best hope for future revenue growth. The rightful successor to the DVD is not Blu-ray or anything else. It is the web.

Something more to ponder. :rolleyes:

Hollywood and the internet | There will be blood | Economist.com

I don't debate that there are place with fast speeds out there, but I said universal. That's great for Comcast area's, I'm in TWC area, no speeds like that. I'm in an AT&T area, no Uverse here, too far out of the city (according to AT&T) and 6Mbps DSL is the best they can do, and if I was just a bit farter from the remote terminal I'd be limited to 3Mbps. 8 miles down the road is Verizon area but they won't be seeing FIOS for a long time, they still working on getting DSL to more of their rural coverage area.

And if 720p is OK then why does the vast marjoity here and other sites b*tch about the PQ on Fox compared to the 1080i networks? Or even the folks wanting to know when DBS companies are going 1080p, so IMHO 720p won't cut it.

While 720p does provide a great picture it is not the equivalant of 1080p. And while most broadcasts are 1080i it seems the only place you are now going to get a 1080p picture is from BD. 720p is fine until you have to downconvert from 1080i/p and then the PQ starts heading downhill as compared to a true 1080i/p signal. In the end the real question is what will the consumer want. If you go into any B&M selling flat screens you will see that the prices on 720p sets has really come down quickly. The new king on the blocks seem to be the 1080p sets and by this fall that will be the majority of new sets being released by CE manufacturers. Just like in 2000 when 1080i was the majority of RPTVs being sold by this time next year it will be 1080p for screens 40" and larger. And once again, it will be the consumer who does the chosing.

what exactly does FUD mean?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is a tactic of rhetoric used in sales, marketing and public relations. FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative (and vague) information. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.

The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the computer hardware industry and has since been used more broadly.

P.S. Another meaning of the word FUD that Wikipedia mentions is: Female urination device :D

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is a tactic of rhetoric used in sales, marketing and public relations. FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative (and vague) information. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.

The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the computer hardware industry and has since been used more broadly.

P.S. Another meaning of the word FUD that Wikipedia mentions is: Female urination device :D

Ah, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)