HF Antenna Analyzers

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I take pride in having nice tools and have been thinking about the purchase of a antenna analyzer for HF.

I'm curious what others have been using. Originally, I thought about the MFJ249C but the RigExpert AA-55 Zoom is looking interesting after reading the Nov QST review.

I purchased a mini60 with Bluetooth option. Small device and can't beat the great price at just over $100. Have used the club's RigExpert and MFJ analyzers and really liked the feedline analyzing functions, but just couldn't justify the higher cost vs the limited usage for my own personal own unit.

The mini60 BT can be used as a stand alone device or advanced charting with an Android device or PC connection. Cool to watch in real-time via BT connection to a tablet 50 ft away from the feedpoint while trimming the feedline, placing clip-on ferrites, optimizing elements and changing height and angles of dipoles, etc. :)
s-l1600.jpg

Brian,
What sort of calibration modes does the Mini60 offer? Open, short, load ? Is it possible to extend the measurement interface to the measurement point such as the feed point of the antenna?

The BT option would be great for measuring feed point of the antenna remotely to analyze impedance without the effect of an added transmission line.

Interesting that this thread just came up as I just started work on an improved version.

Reactions: Titanium
Then you could add all the features you want.
An Android app and communicating with it via Bluetooth probably isn't trivial. Set it up with Alternate Reality and you could have a Heads-Up Display whisker trimming experience.

The 9Hz refresh suggests something more powerful than an Arduino.

Reactions: N6BY
Brian,
What sort of calibration modes does the Mini60 offer? Open, short, load ? Is it possible to extend the measurement interface to the measurement point such as the feed point of the antenna?

The calibration has open, short and loads.

It measures only at the insertion point. I do like the RigExpert feedline adjustment feature.

IMG_5695.JPG

Did you order standard mini60 or with Bluetooth?

If using the charting function with connection to a PC, you will need Excel. OpenOffoce is not compatible. I purchased a NOS MS Office 2007 with single license on EBay for $10. :)

I received my meter Saturday and I love it. It's quite the little device, not oversized and heavy like some of the other well known meters I've handled.

I didn't go for the BT option at this time since I have an iPad. After thinking about it, I thought it would spend most of it's time in the shack on the bench anyway on the inside end of the feed line.

Reactions: Titanium
Great post Titanium and Michael. Here's a video of another way to "quasi-measure" return loss in an antenna using a noise signal source. Much more complicated though, kind of Rube Goldberg-ish, but fun to try out. By the way those noise generators are sold on Amazon and am awaiting one from China. Of course a tracking generator would be preferable to a noise signal generator.

The mini60 at that price is much better though.

Reactions: k.r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)