Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Was out cleaning the snow off of my C-band dishes and noticed the motorized Ku dish pointing all the way east. Thought that was strange, so when I went back inside I switched it to 99wKu. TP came up a minute or so later and then quickly disappeared again. Looked at the dish and it was pointed at the western horizon. I was using USALS so I switched to diseqc and was able to run the motor back to 99w holding the key on the remote (A3), and saved the position. Then moved to 95W/Ku and saved at a different position, stays just fine. Moved back to 99W but nothing happens. Have to physically (actually electrically) move the dish until the signal comes up.

Switching back to USALS the dish moves to which ever horizon it was moving toward until the stop. Tried 2 other receivers, the Azbox and uHD. Both same results.

Did all the resets I think I can do. Just seems the counter isn't working, motor works fine though.

Wonder if it is fixable? Where would I get parts?

It's -20F outside right now.. :( Not in a hurry to bring it in to fix!

Well you did everything I would have recommended. It does indeed appear to be the motor.
You may open it to find grease blocking something in the counter circuit.

STAB would have all parts, for sure.
Never ordered parts from them though.

Does the "Go To Reference" or "Go To Zero" return the motor to the center position? If not, the motor's zero reference may have been corrupted or overwritten.

This usually is corrected by driving the motor to the zero position and performing a motor reset. Not such an easy matter with a STAB.

Someone with a urge to create a neat tool kit for hobbyist could burn some PICs or program a Pi to issue a DiSEqC reset command (hint, hint). :)

IIRC, you've been trying various software apps with your satellite card. I have found that switching between apps when using USALs can 'confuse' the motor (I have an HH120 and an HH90).

I find that sending the motor to the reference position (due south) after starting the app (before sending it to a satellite position) usually corrects the problem. Have you tried this?

Reactions: Titanium
Haven't used it with the satellite card yet. I have another SG2100 I was going to try with the sat card first before putting the card into full (production).
I am able to send the motor to zero (S) position though. Really helpful when setting up diseqc positions near that point in the arc, but not in this case really.
I have a Pansat 3500 I think it might have a diseqc re-set option. Off to the junQue box.. If that works without having to being in the unit :) :).

Interesting project. Will investigate.

Update:
Looks like "goto 0", "reference" and "reset" do the same thing on this motor.
Ran it with the Pansat, no difference.
Guess I'll have to pull it and bring it inside to investigate further. Oh well. Going to be a balmy -30 tomorrow, perfect time for working on the satellite antennas!

I should also add that this dish motor is at least 10 years old. Doesn't owe me much!

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Will have to leave it alone until it warms up a bit. WIll just break something messing with it at this temp, including me. Actually works ok using the A3, in the diseqc menu if you move the dish using the continuous E/W buttons it will stop as soon as it finds a signal on the TP on the satellite you have selected and asks if you want to save the position. Of course it won't remember the position if the counter doesn't work, but it stops there and stays until you need to move it again.

Well... It was such a nice day today, got all the way up to 0F and very light wind. Just couldn't leave it alone.

Anyway, removed the motor and brought it inside to warm up for a few hours. tested it with a spare receiver... still doing the same thing so that for-sure identifies the issue as being in the motor somewhere. Took it apart and sure enough, last time I had it apart I must have left the ribbon cable that goes between the motor/sensor and the main circuit board too close to the sensor wheel. It had rubbed through one of the conductors in the cable. Fixed it by soldering an end from a cut-off resistor and some shrink tubing.
Cleaned up and re-lubed the motor and gears too so it should last another 10 years. :)

Pictures:

HH120_gears.JPG HH120_motor_counter.JPG HH120_ribbon.JPG HH120_sensor.JPG HH120_wire_repair.JPG HH120_worm1.JPG HH120+lube.JPG

Glad to see you found the problem and it was easy to solve.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)