Is this 67°W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AceB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Sussex, UK
I wonder if someone with a clear shot at this bird and who has the use of Crazyscan can check this for me please. Pretty sure I'm on 67°W but there's no decent source of full transponder info this far west AFAIK. The most comprehensive site, Flysat which lists all the data and higher order transponders doesn't go this far west so I'm not able to compare my signals with any lists. It doesn't match Lyngsat but that's not up to date and it doesn't list data etc.

67.0W-140116.png

If this satellite has separate European and N.A. beams the only ones we'd be able to see would be the N.A. one.
Off hand I can't think of one western satellite that covers EU and N.A. on one 'beam'. 'Think' one, maybe 2, near 20°W does.
The only satellite that I'm aware of at 67°W is amc-4 -"AMC-4 is a Ku-band satellite which provides expansion capacity to address Latin America’s growth in DTH and broadband services" http://www.ses.com/4628362/amc-4
Satbeams also only lists amc-4 http://satbeams.com/footprints?position=293
sathint has one TP listed 12162 V 9600 3/4 but according to the maps at the previous links, I'm too far north. http://www.sathint.com/amc-4
With this, sorry, but I don't think anyone this side of the pond will be much help. Someone will jump in if I'm wrong though. (??)

Can you lock any of the transponders? Knowing the service(s) may help in tracking down where they are located.

Reactions: AceB
Unfortunately nothing that far west has European beams, 61 and 63W both have strong data transponders into Eu but what I'm seeing here on 67W aren't much more than bumps in the noise and don't produce any form of SNR or even show a constellation.

As you can see there's no sign on 12162V so I presume these are on the other American beam although that's confusing itself as 12162V is listed on the N America beam that doesn't cover Colombia particularly well, I'd expect that to be on the South American beam.

Oh for a 10M dish :)

Reactions: Titanium
Don't know for sure, but think the published footprint maps aren't 100% perfect. Those at SES and Satbeams are hardly a match.
The reported TP is most probably reported from the extreme south in North America.
Could those peaks be from an eastern satellite? Entering the feed directly, from around the perimeter of the dish, but aiming the feed off to the east ?? Referring to the Eu posts made here at satguys it seems the EU satellites are quite a bit stronger than our FTA satellites. High power has been reserved for the DSS Pay services portion of the Ku band.
BTW, what are you using (dish/lnb/receiver)?

Not sure what you are seeing. Here is what I see at 67°W in North America. I also looked at the satellites I can see on either side of 67°W (63°W and 70°W) and didn't see anything that looked like what you are picking up. Maybe something getting into a side lobe as Fat Air suggest?

67W.jpg

There's very little out to the west and I have to get to 30W to find one transmitting above 10.7GHz so I doubt it's a sidelobe but I hadn't thought of direct pickup off the back side although with a few exceptions we don't tend use your FSS band over here so it shouldn't take long to check. Some of our strongest sats can be picked up using 30cm dishes, in fact we had a D-MAC service called BSB running in the late 80s that used 30cm Channel Master dishes. Thanks for the plot, I think if you were to scan from 11950 up in vertical only so CS autoscales it you have the same signals but at similarly weak levels.

My set up for this is a 1.2m Gibertini offset on a modified Moteck 180 H-H motor, an Inverto Black Ultra LNB and Prof Tuner 7301. I've also got a 1.8 Precision Spun ali dish with an ESX241 and C1-PLL LNBs. Both go down to the horizon out west at 75° (shame nothing is aimed this way from those sats), the 1.2 reaches 70°E and I've recently moved the 1.8 so that now gets to 66E.

AceB look over at satellites.co.uk that is fta forum from England they would be able to help you more fo people overseas.

I do get 67* w bird here in New Mexico, it's mostly Sky Mexico and sadly to say no FTA stuff for you to see.... The signal strength here in New Mexico are a 70 to 72 %.:)

Thanks for doing that, they're definitely the same peaks so at least we know I'm on the right satellite, it'll serve as a useful marker even if there's no hope of locking anything. Now if only there was someone in South America actively 'DXing' on satellite.

Happy to do it, I like DXing. Yes, it would be nice to have a South American look at these signals.

Can you see these signals from 70°W? I think they are on the East Latin America beam of Star One C4.

70w a.jpg

BTW, I'm using a 1.2 meter dish. Hope to have my 2.5 meter dish running by spring. I'll take another look at these signals then.

Reactions: N5XZS and catamount
I had a look for 70W but can't see anything coming out of the noise, guess that footprint doesn't have so much spread this way. I went right down to 75W but apart from seeing the ground noise come up there's no evidence of signals further west than these weak ones on 67W. When things warm up a bit I'll switch the feed on the 1.8 over to Ku and try it on that one.

Reactions: lost_mesa
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)